ESPN Jeff Borzello - Article Is UConn a blue blood ? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ESPN Jeff Borzello - Article Is UConn a blue blood ?

Reaction Score
Five years ago, you could maybe make an argument that, well, they only won with one coach and the next guy won with his players, and then they fell off the map.

Now it's 3 different coaches. Like Emeka pointed out, it's in 4 different decades. On a championship basis, there's no argument.

The only argument you could make against us is inconsistency. Our non-title years over the last 15 years we've often been irrelevant, since 2009 only 1 Tournament win in non-title years (though the fact that we have 3 championships in that period makes that caveat look silly).

Edit: I didn't realize that in addition to having the most championships in the last 25 years, we also tied for the most Final Four appearances. That's pretty significant.
If indiana and UCLA are still blue bloods then it makes the lack of success in non title years completely moot. Also im tired of this crap about since 1999. This program was elite for nearly a decade before that first title including a 5 year run with a recored of 139-33 with 2 sweet 16s and 2 elite 8s and 2 big east tournament titles in a brutal big east.

Reaction Score
I'm so sick of hearing/reading about this, it's insulting. We're the best program of the past 25 years, it would be like debating whether Apple is worthy of being compared to/sharing a table with General Electric.
100% agree. Our program collects NC’s. Call it whatever you want.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Any of you watching the HBO series The Gilded Age?

It parallels this discussion. The new money in the 1870s - 1910s was much greater than the old money, but the new money had to fight to be accepted in high society.

I'd rather live in the bigger mansion with more servants and be snubbed by the old money folks.

caw

Reaction Score
Define "Blueblood".

That is always the argument other fanbases make. Blueblood means XYZ that excludes teams A, B and C. Without settling on a definition it is impossible to make a Yes or No statement.

I have heard UK fans talk about the only Bluebloods being UK, KU and UNC. So, yeah.

Reaction Score
Pretty strong statement tonight stiffarming a blue blood who we've historically struggled against, on the huge stage of our second home court.

Reaction Score
I love the quote from Boeheim about how impossible it was to do what we did in Storrs, CT…I mean it’s not like he was coaching in Los Angeles or some other resort town. Storrs, CT is like heaven compared to Syracuse, NY.
Dee Rowe used to say it best "the miracle in Storrs".

Reaction Score
Any of you watching the HBO series The Gilded Age?

It parallels this discussion. The new money in the 1870s - 1910s was much greater than the old money, but the new money had to fight to be accepted in high society.

I'd rather live in the bigger mansion with more servants and be snubbed by the old money folks.

I’m just glad UConn isn’t nouveau riche.

Reaction Score
What’s better than blue? Royal blue? Platinum? Why are we selling ourselves short.

Reaction Score
We are blue blood period. Don't give a duck*k if they accept it or not, but we crashed the party and are here to stay. Those arrogant fanbases can go debate all they want, but we got 5 chips.

This was at last night's game. I thought this is funny.

Attachments

• IMG_20231206_071608.jpg
    IMG_20231206_071608.jpg
    990 KB · Views: 117

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
We are blue blood period. Don't give a duck*k if they accept it or not, but we crashed the party and are here to stay. Those arrogant fanbases can go debate all they want, but we got 5 chips.

Said the man with the sign whose favorite team is headed in the opposite direction with an overwhelmed coach trying to get 10 future nba players to actually play as a team. They have one chance and one year to change the Scheyer trajectory and then probably only for one year. His name is Cooper Flagg.

Reaction Score
Said the man with the sign whose favorite team is headed in the opposite direction with an overwhelmed coach trying to get 10 future nba players to actually play as a team. They have one chance and one year to change the Scheyer trajectory and then probably only for one year. His name is Cooper Flagg.
Can't wait for UConn to beat the Dokies with Cooper. It be awesome if we can play Duke when they still have Cooper on the roster.

Reaction Score
That is funny, but not a pic from last night's game. Unless Pete Nance showed up on an off night from his g league team and suited up for UNC.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
You said it was at last night's game, the Twitter account did not say that, that's all.
Wow look at the mad attention to detail. Agree but another reason to hate Dook if this is their official X/Twitter (he is a genius but why change that name, reminds me when the changed the Sears tower in Chicago to Willis tower and to this day no one call it the Willis tower) anyhow I digressed. But back on point using an old picture to comment on a current game. No substance, no rudder and no one leading that program anymore. Dook is about to go into a funk for a few years. It may be delayed with the arrival of CF but if they do not win next year here’s to hoping they endure the death spiral we had to go through.

Reaction Score

The sign was funny.

Reaction Score
This Kentucky numbskull posted this on their forum: I guess this clown doesn’t consider us a blueblood even though he acknowledged we’ve won 5 nattys on 25 years.

There’s no reason for Hurley to come here. He’s a northeast guy as it is. He’s at a borderline blue blood as it is and has that program rolling.

People here still vastly overestimate the appeal of the UK job in the current landscape. Drew win a title at Baylor. UConn is an incredibly successful program in their own right. You don’t have to be at a blue blood to be successful.

When you’ve won titles elsewhere (like Drew) or you’re already at the most successful program of the last 25 years (Hurley)there’s literally no reason to come the UK. The expectations would be more trouble than the job is worth.

Reaction Score
This Kentucky numbskull posted this on their forum: I guess this clown doesn’t consider us a blueblood even though he acknowledged we’ve won 5 nattys on 25 years.

There’s no reason for Hurley to come here. He’s a northeast guy as it is. He’s at a borderline blue blood as it is and has that program rolling.

People here still vastly overestimate the appeal of the UK job in the current landscape. Drew win a title at Baylor. UConn is an incredibly successful program in their own right. You don’t have to be at a blue blood to be successful.

When you’ve won titles elsewhere (like Drew) or you’re already at the most successful program of the last 25 years (Hurley)there’s literally no reason to come the UK. The expectations would be more trouble than the job is worth.
I watched a couple post game lives streams on YT and something i found funny was i came across several UK fans who swear up and down that Uconn fans better enjoy DH now because he`ll end up at UK when Squids contract is up. I highly, highly doubt it as DH is a northeast guy and has said Uconn is his dream job and would only even consider leaving for the Duke job. Of course its talk and i could be wrong but some uk people are really confident. lol!

Reaction Score
I watched a couple post game lives streams on YT and something i found funny was i came across several UK fans who swear up and down that Uconn fans better enjoy DH now because he`ll end up at UK when Squids contract is up. I highly, highly doubt it as DH is a northeast guy and has said Uconn is his dream job and would only even consider leaving for the Duke job. Of course its talk and i could be wrong but some uk people are really confident. lol!
Danny just inked a 6 year, $32M contract in June. Squid only makes $4M year. He’s not going to Ky despite what their delusional fans believe. And for the reasons you mentioned.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom