ESPN ignores UConn again | The Boneyard

ESPN ignores UConn again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not a surprise, but over at ESPN website, when you go to their women’s NCAA basketball section, no mention of beating NCState unless you hunt around for it. SC-Stanford is top story deservedly, then next item is Caitlin Clark getting 33 points, then a bunch of other women’s games info. Well, they have a section called “Top Headlines” so it must be there, right? Wrong! They mention UConn twice, once about CD’s collapse and another about Dorka missing games with thumb injury, but the game between two top ten teams playing is not a top headline apparently. You have to click on “Scores” at top of page to find the game. Pathetic.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not a surprise, but over at ESPN website, when you go to their women’s NCAA basketball section, no mention of beating NCState unless you hunt around for it. SC-Stanford is top story deservedly, then next item is Caitlin Clark getting 33 points, then a bunch of other women’s games info. Well, they have a section called “Top Headlines” so it must be there, right? Wrong! They mention UConn twice, once about CD’s collapse and another about Dorka missing games with thumb injury, but the game between two top ten teams playing is not a top headline apparently. You have to click on “Scores” at top of page to find the game. Pathetic.
Maybe the game being played on FOX had a little impact?

Reaction Score
I was just looking at the scores section of their website, following your suggestion, and noticed Texas lost again, this time to Louisville. I feel for Vic and his kids. But it also sorta pins a donkeys tail on ESPN’s judgment that their #3 team has a 1-3 record after the second week. Then you have to remember that Vic was willing to schedule some tough games early on, not the usual cream puffs the rest of the top teams tend to schedule.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was just looking at the scores section of their website, following your suggestion, and noticed Texas lost again, this time to Louisville. I feel for Vic and his kids. But it also sorta pins a donkeys tail on ESPN’s judgment that their #3 team has a 1-3 record after the second week. Then you have to remember that Vic was willing to schedule some tough games early on, not the usual cream puffs the rest of the top teams tend to schedule.
I will wait until Rory Harmon plays at full strength but I admit Shaylee Gonzalez looks pretty disappointing to me and I know there is trouble if you expect Morris to be your best scorer

Reaction Score
You didn't scroll far enough down.

1669040877728.png

Reaction Score
ESPN website is driven by their television contracts. When the NHL was on NBC it received little coverage on ESPN other than the NHL specific page. Now with ESPN having the NHL contract we get NHL coverage on the front page quite regularly. UConn women's hoops is a valuable FOX product that ESPN is not going to publicize.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The Longhorns fall from the top points to a problem that Geno alluded to in his postgame presser yesterday. Top teams like TX, NC St, TN & Duke, to name a few, have brought in 2, 3 or more top transfers, who are struggling to mesh with their new teams. As a result, these teams are prime for upsets until they can figure out how to play together.

Contrast that with UConn. Even with the loss of Paige & Ice for the season, 6 of UConn’s 8 regular rotation players are returnees who know the system. Lou, the one transfer on the roster, seems perfectly suited to thrive in UConn’s motion offense as a result of her talent, experience & basketball IQ. As for Ayanna, she doesn’t complicate things. Play defense, set screens and rebound.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Women's college basketball Power Rankings: UConn, Iowa State, Ohio State move into top five​

"Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer said maybe her team just isn't ready yet to be No. 1. But whether the Cardinal are ready, South Carolina won't give it up easily."

I didn't see VanDerver's post game presser after yesterday's loss to South Carolina. So I don't know what she said, but I do know what she should have said............................"They are who we thought they were............................" :cool:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Not everything is instantaneous.
  • Considering ESPN controls ABC's sports content, one would have to fully expect the Stanford-South Carolina game to get top billing. And why not? OT on a Sunday afternoon?
  • As noted there are business concerns intertwined with coverage, as noted by many posters, both in the past and on this thread.
  • However, M.A. Voepel duly noted UConn's team and individual performances for what they're worth.

(and I might add the Irish are up to 6th from 10th.)

Reaction Score
The Longhorns fall from the top points to a problem that Geno alluded to in his postgame presser yesterday. Top teams like TX, NC St, TN & Duke, to name a few, have brought in 2, 3 or more top transfers, who are struggling to mesh with their new teams. As a result, these teams are prime for upsets until they can figure out how to play together.

Contrast that with UConn. Even with the loss of Paige & Ice for the season, 6 of UConn’s 8 regular rotation players are returnees who know the system. Lou, the one transfer on the roster, seems perfectly suited to thrive in UConn’s motion offense as a result of her talent, experience & basketball IQ. As for Ayanna, she doesn’t complicate things. Play defense, set screens and rebound.
Perhaps scheduling all these early games against “top” OOC opponents was a pretty crafty move.
Seems like many of them are trying to assemble some new parts into smoothly functioning teams.
Maybe playing them in January & February would not work to UCONN’s advantage.
Of course, it helps that the Huskies, thus far, have been able to get themselves organized with comparatively great dispatch.
Credit a lot of hard work and talent on the part of the player

Reaction Score
Perhaps scheduling all these early games against “top” OOC opponents was a pretty crafty move.
Seems like many of them are trying to assemble some new parts into smoothly functioning teams.
Maybe playing them in January & February would not work to UCONN’s advantage.
Of course, it helps that the Huskies, thus far, have been able to get themselves organized with comparatively great dispatch.
Credit a lot of hard work and talent on the part of the player
Not to mention the fact that, evidently, Geno DOES have a clue.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When ESPN had oodles of money to spend some of it fell into the women's game budget. That started falling away perhaps 3 budgets ago. They have been adrift for a while now and only their conference contracts keep them halfway focused.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Why does what any Sports media, talking heads, polls, rankings matter? I don’t read them, listen to them or care about their opinions. They are meaningless. Root for your team. If they win the last game they play, they are National Champions. No matter what seed, ranking or anything else that someone placed them in.

Reaction Score
Maybe, if UConn wins the National Championship they will get the attention of ESPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom