. ESPN going to feature the conflict | Page 4 | The Boneyard

. ESPN going to feature the conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's the way I remember it, in terms of McCarthy making the Nebraska game Colorado's rivalry game. I think he took it to the lengths of forbidding anyone who worked on his staff (not just coaches, but secretaries and office personnel) from wearing red during the week before the game. Before both teams left for different conferences, the Big 12 moved their game to the day after Thanksgiving to showcase it.
That's right, I remember that now that you mention it. It's so funny to me, people in Colorado just have a genuine hate for them, and they'd tell you about it. But ask a Nebraska fan and it's just, man I really want to beat them. Some of that is the culture there, the rivalry with Oklahoma, though very intense, was a gentlemens rival. The two programs just respected each other and wanted to win. Sad that when it went from the Big 8 to the Big 12, Colorado took the place of Oklahoma on the schedule due to division alignment. No matter who they played, win or lose, they would stand applaud the opposing team... even Texas.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I think we should make every effort to schedule Rutgers, Syracuse or BS College so we play at least one or more of them every season. We had developed a real rivalry with these teams, particularly Rutgers. They're all close enough to bring a significant number of their fans to games at PAWS-ARF, which adds to the interest and excitement of playing against them.

Picking a team like UCF for a rivalry game made zero sense. They already have an arch rival in the same conference, USF. Very few of their fans will be at games in E. Hartford, and the same goes for our fans in Orlando. It was always a hair brained idea that was doomed to failure.

i dont think it was ever about geography it was about pointing out the biggest baddest kid on the block and saying "we're coming for you.". The first yr of the "conflict" UCF hadnt lost a game in AAC play and was undefeated at the time that we took it to em. last yr with them being down didnt help and finally now that they are back up again they are to "good" for a lighthearted rivalry against the farthest school from them in the conference.

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score

first off F@*@#*&@*& ESPN for cutting this up to make him look like even more of a psycho than he already is. he was clearly talking about the AAC championship and he is right but they clearly cut that part out. also conveniently leaving out the parts where he calls out UCF for backing out of the agreed rivalry when they kept getting beat.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
i dont think it was ever about geography it was about pointing out the biggest baddest kid on the block and saying "we're coming for you.". The first yr of the "conflict" UCF hadnt lost a game in AAC play and was undefeated at the time that we took it to em. last yr with them being down didnt help and finally now that they are back up again they are to "good" for a lighthearted rivalry against the farthest school from them in the conference.

That's not entirely true. UCF had already lost two non-conference games before they played us that season (2014), and they should have lost to UH in a game where Greg Ward, Jr. fumbled as he was crossing the goal line for a go ahead TD late in the 4Q.

I understand why Coach Crazy picked UCF, and I agree it had nothing to do with geography. My point was your more traditional rivals will be those schools in close geographic proximity, because you've likely played those schools more often historically.

Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of history at the D IA level, so we haven't had much of a chance to develop those regional rivalries. That's why I suggested the non-conference games vs. some teams we were in the process of developing some good rivalries with before CR ruined it all.

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
That's not entirely true. UCF had already lost two non-conference games before they played us that season (2014), and they should have lost to UH in a game where Greg Ward, Jr. fumbled as he was crossing the goal line for a go ahead TD late in the 4Q.

I understand why Coach Crazy picked UCF, and I agree it had nothing to do with geography. My point was your more traditional rivals will be those schools in close geographic proximity, because you've likely played those schools more often historically.

Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of history at the D IA level, so we haven't had much of a chance to develop those regional rivalries. That's why I suggested the non-conference games vs. some teams we were in the process of developing some good rivalries with before CR ruined it all.

ah yes for some reason i thought they were undefeated but it was that they hadn't lost a conference game yet.
as for the rivalry games i couldn't agree more, we need to schedule or more natural rivals but with all of those being P5 with nothing to gain from playing a G5 team and everything to lose by losing to one i see it being a hard sell to those universities.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
ah yes for some reason i thought they were undefeated but it was that they hadn't lost a conference game yet.
as for the rivalry games i couldn't agree more, we need to schedule or more natural rivals but with all of those being P5 with nothing to gain from playing a G5 team and everything to lose by losing to one i see it being a hard sell to those universities.

We are being looked upon as a P5 by the B10 and possibly some other conferences when they play us, so that objection should be moot. It's ironic they credit themselves with playing a P5 opponent when they play us, yet they won't admit us to their P5 clubhouse because we don't bring enough value. You can't make this stuff up.

Reaction Score
The stupidest part was
A: Picking the one FBS team they beat year 1 seemingly for the reason it was the only FBS team they beat.
B: Building a trophy that left the prior year's UCF blowout off of it

That was the best part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member