ESPN game article | The Boneyard

ESPN game article

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I see ESPN finally realized that there are 6 injured Huskies. Congrats to them.

The whole tournament the talking heads have been saying there's 5 out for the season. At least once they said it while simultaneously showing the six players sitting on the bench. They showed a graphic that listed just 5 names (Amari was the disrespected, unnamed 6th).

They seem so focused on storylines and narratives that they sometimes ignore what is literally right in front of them

I love and appreciate that ESPN carries these games, but they've been at this a long time and should be better.

Reaction Score
I had to mute ESPN during the game. Antonelli and Mowins are just insufferable. Can't do it. Follows my genral thoughts of ESPN's views on UConn women's basketball anyway. THey're too busy gushing over Caitlyn Clark and/or South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Anyone else find it interesting that Geno did not appear on Sports Center with SVP after the game. He was continually stating that an interview with the GOAT was going to happen any minute!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Anyone else find it interesting that Geno did not appear on Sports Center with SVP after the game. He was continually stating that an interview with the GOAT was going to happen any minute!
I did. I think Geno decided to enjoy the moment with his team. It was the right decision.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

The whole tournament the talking heads have been saying there's 5 out for the season. At least once they said it while simultaneously showing the six players sitting on the bench. They showed a graphic that listed just 5 names (Amari was the disrespected, unnamed 6th).

They seem so focused on storylines and narratives that they sometimes ignore what is literally right in front of them

I love and appreciate that ESPN carries these games, but they've been at this a long time and should be better.

Jana has been out since August, while others were hurt more recently. In chronological order (I think):

Jana

Ayanna

Azzi

Caroline

Aubrey

Amari

Reaction Score
I did. I think Geno decided to enjoy the moment with his team. It was the right decision.
It was also the right decision because much of what SVP covered for more than 10 minutes into the show per ESPN SOP was almost exclusively devoted to the Iowa game. Hey, ESPN. We got it. It's being advertised as the absolute greatest event of all time in women's basketball and you have every minute of it. Congrats.

Reaction Score

Guess it's fine to love and appreciate that ESPN carries the games. They've been doing it since 1979 and were the only ones who stepped up when other networks ignored womens sports. But the reason now is not to fulfill exuberant fans' wishes. It is because women's sports and particularly women's basketball today is adding $ to their bottom line.

Womens' sports including women's basketball at both the college and professional level is a money maker. 2023 was a banner year for women's sports and this year is expected to be better. In 2023 (well before ESPN's tagging the Clark effect as"redefining the game") the WNBA saw both ticket sales and viewership increase making it the most watched season in over 20 years. Whoever didn't watch the WNBA finals is not a true women's basketball fan. Some of the best basketball ever played in the women's game. Besides the WNBA having a record-setting year, the NCAA and ESPN have signed a new eight year media rights deal that is more than three times the current deal that pays the NCAA about $40 million annually.

So guess we can love and appreciate ESPN to at least 2032. Now if only they could get some better announcers :)

Reaction Score

It's not just ESPN, many on the BY have been saying five as well. Perhaps that's where they got if from.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
It's not just ESPN, many on the BY have been saying five as well. Perhaps that's where they got if from.
He got it from 5 being out for the season, and 1 being out just recently, who also happened to be the end of the bench. So technically 5 out for the season correct.

The reason much more is made of an active player like Cardoso, Betts etc missing a few games, is because they are going to return. Out for the season is out of mind for sportscasters.

This of course does not minimize the job Geno has done.

Reaction Score
I had to mute ESPN during the game. Antonelli and Mowins are just insufferable. Can't do it. Follows my genral thoughts of ESPN's views on UConn women's basketball anyway. THey're too busy gushing over Caitlyn Clark and/or South Carolina.
My wife had me mute it, as she couldn't stand it. She is from Connecticut, and I am from Iowa State, so I am used to people razzing for no apparent reason.:cool::p:cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom