ESPN fires Jeff Van Gundy and Jalen Rose | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ESPN fires Jeff Van Gundy and Jalen Rose

Reaction Score
Yes. Mentioned in a few posts in this thread (#11 through #15 posts to start) and in the article that was posted in the original post to start the thread.
No, laid off .... these people were all laid off and considered expendable .... where the headline, FIRED, came from, I just don't know?

Reaction Score
How did Stephen

I don't take the guy seriously. Kind of like Chuck. He isn't Stephen A. Smith. Why the hell wasn't Stephen A. Smith let go? He is a travesty to sports casting.
The money that guy makes for what he does! He's an intelligent guy but he's so incredibly arrogant and it seems like everyone bows down to him like he's Allah regardless of what he utters .... If it wasn't for that and the enormous money he gets, I wouldn't mind him as much

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I feel confident I am solidly in the majority here in saying none of these layoffs or "firings" will have any impact with how I use ESPN properties for my sports entertainment. Not a single sporting event, gab fest, radio show, website browsing, etc will be affected one iota.

For the personalities let go, welcome to the machine.

Reaction Score
I hadnt watched draft in years til this yr

Was shocked how utterly useless espn’s coverage was. There was little real talent on that set. So i flipped on abc to find steven a. Then i turned it off.

Letting go of some of their REAL talent like van gundy and kolber shows their future trajectory

Reaction Score
Jalen Rose just wasn’t very good. Steve Young honestly didn’t bring much to the table either. Disappointed in LaPhonso Ellis thought he was solid, not great but enjoyed him. Ashley Brewer didn’t really know squat but wasn’t terrible to look at. Why is Elle Duncan still there??

Suzy K one of the best we know she’ll be on some football shows soon enough. Surprised JJ Reddick made the cut.

No matter, ESPN sucks since they went to LA and tried to become more than what they are. These stiffs that try to be comedians while giving us the news on sports are dreadful.

Reaction Score
I hadnt watched draft in years til this yr

Was shocked how utterly useless espn’s coverage was. There was little real talent on that set. So i flipped on abc to find steven a. Then i turned it off.

Letting go of some of their REAL talent like van gundy and kolber shows their future trajectory
Who was the lady on the set at the draft who kept saying jj reddick couldn’t shoot? She was super annoying too - did she get canned?

Reaction Score
Yes. Mentioned in a few posts in this thread (#11 through #15 posts to start) and in the article that was posted in the original post to start the thread.
I got your point in the first sentence, I missed it. Thanks for continuously pointing that out! Much appreciated as it does happen often with many and its easy to miss since sometimes much of what's posted is redundant. I'll be sure to read throughly next time for you or not comment at all. Hahaha haha.

Reaction Score
Who was the lady on the set at the draft who kept saying jj reddick couldn’t shoot? She was super annoying too - did she get canned?

The same one who stepped out on the set to show us how one of the picks can pivot and shoot or something? She was horrific and the 2 ladies took away from Bilas and even JJ with their annoying ways.

Agree fully

Reaction Score
I got your point in the first sentence, I missed it. Thanks for continuously pointing that out! Much appreciated as it does happen often with many and its easy to miss since sometimes much of what's posted is redundant. I'll be sure to read throughly next time for you or not comment at all. Hahaha haha.
You asked. I answered. Read my answer again. You just wanted a "yes" or "no"? I wasn't trying to be snarky so no need for you to be snarky.

One thing I hate about this board is that it's hard to determine the tone in someone's posts like you can if you were talking to someone. So my advice in the future would be to assume that someone isn't being snarky unless it's quite obvious they are. Assume the best in people. :)

Reaction Score
I don’t think Perk was going after Jokic as much as he was going after voters.

Jokic deserved the MVP award this year definitely. It would’ve just been weird for him to be the first back to back to back MVP since Larry Bird given all the other legendary players that have been in the league that ended up suffering from “voter fatigue”. He probably didn’t deserve the award during the years the Nuggets were low seeded. So I guess this year was moreso a market correction than anything.

He’ll probably win it next year anyways.
Embiid deserved it too. It’s a regular season award. Obviously Jokic is better and was other-worldly in the playoffs, but Embiid had an incredible season too. They’re matchup later in the season probably weighed on some voters minds too.

Reaction Score
Good riddance! Watching any combo of Breen, Van Gundy (both but especially Jeff) and Mark Jackson was brutal as a C’s fan! Every foul whistles on the C’s was legit and every foul whistled on the other team was bogus. C’s haters all of them!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Much of this isn't personal, just business. "Personalities" don't move the needle like before so they aren't going to be paid as if they do. A few exceptions like Buck and Aikman and Tony Romo, of course. But take a look at Rich Fowler who just resigned. He thought he was going to get a big bump and I read it was just a courtesy raise.

Reaction Score
What was the comment?
Jalen said it was tokenism that Kevin Love was put on the US Olympic team and the US was scared to field an all-black team.

He has a point that there were most likely better options than Love at that point in his career but he lost it all when he made it race based.

I like Jalen and in his defense he gave a long apology.

Reaction Score
I didn’t even see the Giannas thing. When was that?

I don’t like her either. Joy is great, Taylor Rooks is phenomenal with interviews (while also being drop dead gorgeous), and Mariah was great too before the whole fallout that ESPN completely mismanaged.

Lost two great woman talents in one fell swoop.
Mariah? You mean Maria Taylor?

She's my favorite.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Jalen said it was tokenism that Kevin Love was put on the US Olympic team and the US was scared to field an all-black team.

He has a point that there were most likely better options than Love at that point in his career but he lost it all when he made it race based.

I like Jalen and in his defense he gave a long apology.
Ah I think I remember seeing this

Reaction Score
ESPN is fine and so is Disney. ESPN is becoming it's own entity soon and will report their own earnings, independent of Disney. Rumor has it they will be very impressive numbers.
They used to be 1/3 of Disney’s profit, and 2% of the overhead. Those days are gone, but they lasted for almost 2 decades.

Reaction Score
You asked. I answered. Read my answer again. You just wanted a "yes" or "no"? I wasn't trying to be snarky so no need for you to be snarky.

One thing I hate about this board is that it's hard to determine the tone in someone's posts like you can if you were talking to someone. So my advice in the future would be to assume that someone isn't being snarky unless it's quite obvious they are. Assume the best in people. :)
A shorter simple response was all that was needed to let me know I missed it. You went in to point out more then the necessary. But trust me. I didn't take it as personal as it was funny to me for you to do that. It's all good and we can move on.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
They used to be 1/3 of Disney’s profit, and 2% of the overhead. Those days are gone, but they lasted for almost 2 decades.

Agreed. I'm not bullish by any means but I think their first reported numbers outside the Disney umbrella will surprise some.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom