Enosch Wolf | The Boneyard

Enosch Wolf

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What's the story with him? I think he is the difference between an OK year and a great year next year. Olander doesn't have much upside. Nolan is fine if that is the direction we end up having to go, but Wolf is better than Nolan and could be a lot better still.

I think UConn gets everyone else back, but UConn needs a high quality center to have a really big year. Obviously, if Wolf did something that deserves getting tossed from school, than he should be tossed from school. Do we have any indication either way?

Reaction Score
I would say 60/40 he returns unless Ollie improvises and makes room for another player forcing him out. KO is a young coach making his way into the big time. Personnel decisions like these sometimes make or break teams on the fringe of Final4 runs (assuming he can create other options which at this point would be a challenge).

Wolf is no Shane Bohannon so I don't see how he could help UConn go from ok to great. We have front court issues that I hope Facey accepts and faces the challenge of solving for us. Best case is UConn just gets it done by committee at this point.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Andre Drummond was a disaster on defense, and he was the #1 recruit in the country. You are saying Facey will be our savior? Counting on Freshman to win is a really bad idea.

Wolf has great hands and can score with either hand. He has a few moves around the basket and Blaney has a great track record in improving big men, especially by their third year in the program. Defensively he has a tendency to reach and pick up cheap fouls, but he is so long that he still is disruptive. He can be outmuscled.

No one knows the legal situation. If it is bad, then there is a big drop off to Nolan. I don't expect Facey to be much more than a supplier of fouls until February.

Reaction Score
I don't think Wolf is the difference to an ok or great season at all. And Nolan will be better next year. Don't think thats a huge drop off either.

Reaction Score
Andre Drummond was a disaster on defense, and he was the #1 recruit in the country. You are saying Facey will be our savior? Counting on Freshman to win is a really bad idea.

Wolf has great hands and can score with either hand. He has a few moves around the basket and Blaney has a great track record in improving big men, especially by their third year in the program. Defensively he has a tendency to reach and pick up cheap fouls, but he is so long that he still is disruptive. He can be outmuscled.

No one knows the legal situation. If it is bad, then there is a big drop off to Nolan. I don't expect Facey to be much more than a supplier of fouls until February.
Wow, I disagree with every single thing in this post.

Reaction Score
Wow, I disagree with every single thing in this post.[/

I agree with superjohn. This is a travesty in the form of basketball analysis. Can't count on freshman? Ask Michigan who relied on 5 of them heavily. Hardaway was awful all tourney, and Burke struggled for long stretches here and there. It was their freshman who carried them. It's impact freshman that can take a good team and make it great. Look what lamb and bazz did for us in 2011. Or Boone and Charlie in 04. Or Kemba in 09. Or...you get the point.

Facey may well be exactly what we need next year.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
And just personal feeling......with respect to rebounds and defense, don't underestimate Nolan.....he really came towards the end of the year, when minutes free'd up for him. He's a tad on the skinny side, but he's a fighter. I think most will be surprised by his progress in his Soph campaign

Reaction Score
If Wolf does return (and I think he will), I believe our frontcourt will be much, much better than what we had this past season. Wolf, Nolan, Facey, Brimah and Olander will all be competing for minutes up front. Nolan showed some real potential toward the end of the season and both Wolf and Facey are skilled. Tyler will probably settle into a 5 to 12 minute per game role similar to what he did in 2010-11. The real wildcard is Brimah. Hard to tell if he is so raw that he redshirts, or if he can provide a defensive presence. One thing for sure, he is loooong.

Reaction Score
I think nelsonmuntz has some good ideas........Wolf would help especially in the depth department and also in the size department. Nolan, Olander, Facey none of these guys are 7 foot tall and that isn't taught. When he wasn't in foul trouble and playing well Wolf made a difference with his size keeping balls alive, making people miss and can make shots himself. I would expect he will be better if he returns but that's up to Ollie.....but there is no denying they are better to have him on the roster!!!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And just personal feeling......with respect to rebounds and defense, don't underestimate Nolan.....he really came towards the end of the year, when minutes free'd up for him. He's a tad on the skinny side, but he's a fighter. I think most will be surprised by his progress in his Soph campaign

I am pro-Nolan. I think he is relatively athletic and is also long. But he doesn't have a 1 on 1 offensive game yet, and it looks like it will take some work for one to develop.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If Wolf does return (and I think he will), I believe our frontcourt will be much, much better than what we had this past season. Wolf, Nolan, Facey, Brimah and Olander will all be competing for minutes up front. Nolan showed some real potential toward the end of the season and both Wolf and Facey are skilled. Tyler will probably settle into a 5 to 12 minute per game role similar to what he did in 2010-11. The real wildcard is Brimah. Hard to tell if he is so raw that he redshirts, or if he can provide a defensive presence. One thing for sure, he is loooong.

I am counting on a big jump with Wolf because he made a big one last year and I think there is still some upside left.

Otherwise, i basically agree with you.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
HuskiesAllDay,

There is a truism on this board that every incoming freshman is the program savior and every current sophomore is a bust because he didn't become the program savior. I will let you in on a secret. Most players become better while at UConn. It's called coaching. It's why Calhoun is in the Hall of Fame. If all the mattered was recruiting, Lavin would be the one with all the rings. So this is why Sophomores are better than Freshmen and Juniors are better than Sophomores.

Reaction Score
Whether it's Wolf/Nolan/Facey/Brimah or Olander (ha!), the point is we're adding big guys so they chances of one of them curing what ails us is much greater than last year. Nolan showed flashes, and by all accounts Facey is pretty polished on the boards and blocking shots. None of the big men will be asked to do much offensively.

Reaction Score
Isn't Blaney retiring? how is he going to help Wolf make this huge leap from the golf course?

Reaction Score
People thinking Wolf wouldn't be a critical part of a deep run seem to be confusing a player's total talent level with how he fits on a team.

Wolf made huge strides this year. If he makes progress through to next year, he could be a very good center for us. He has excellent hands, he passes well, he hits jumpers, and he plays mean, which we need.

Do NOT underestimate what his impact can be.

Estimating how Brimah may fit in is dangerous. Beyond that, we have skinnies and Olander. Neither one of those options gets us past the sweet 16.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Wolf can be a 10-12 ppg and 7 rpg guy that is a legitimate low post threat to score. To Perpective's point, that is what UConn needs next year. That is the missing piece to an otherwise very good team.

Reaction Score
I think Wolf can be a 10-12 ppg and 7 rpg guy that is a legitimate low post threat to score. To Perpective's point, that is what UConn needs next year. That is the missing piece to an otherwise very good team.

He had maybe 3 games all season where he came close to those numbers and you think he can average that for the season??

Reaction Score
He had maybe 3 games all season where he came close to those numbers and you think he can average that for the season??
I would not be shocked if he averaged 10 and 7, it all depends if he can stay on the court--and/or team-- and not get into foul trouble, and/or arrested and suspended..

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You are right. No player at UConn has ever gotten better.

I am not sure what you are arguing. Are we better off without Wolf? What is your point?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There are four issues here!

First is the degree of assault! Did he hit the girl causing the glasses to fall or did he grab her while she was moving away, caught her hair and as she moved forward causing her head to change direction, it resulted in her glasses falling off her face. There is quite a difference in the actions with these two scenarios and none of us morons were there to know what took place. All we can say for certain is that he was trespassing, he did not leave when asked and he did something to the girl.

The second issue is image. Some of us are more concerned about negative press than justice so we don't care about the true extent of Wolf's guilt but only that our programs sacred image isn't further damaged. Of course there is the opposite chorus that doesn't care if he's guilty as sin so long as he contributes to a decent year. Both these extremes of thinking are dangerous imo.

This bring up 2b. Should people be given second chances? Should any of the games CB was involved with be removed from UConn's records because he was given a second chance? Do we make distinctions with behavior before coming to UConn vs. while at UConn?

Third is the unknown about players contributions next season. Anyone knowing for certain what a senior Wolf can or can not do based on this and prior seasons and presenting their opinions as beyond questioning should set up a booth with a crystal ball and join a circus. Same with the incoming freshman. It is juvenile to make arguments of unknown future events to back up an emotional opinion regarding points one and two I have presented above.

Just my four cents.

Reaction Score
You are right. No player at UConn has ever gotten better.

I am not sure what you are arguing. Are we better off without Wolf? What is your point?

Are you trying to challenge freescooter for the strawman argument crown? Besides your ass, where are you pulling these conclusions from out of a one line post?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
From my perspective, if Wolf meets his PTI obligations, he will, and should, come back, albeit with the provisio that he has no further issues. I think it is reasonable to expect that his upward trend will continue, though it is difficult to say how much.

I think TO is the guy who ends up getting squeezed in terms of minutes. I think the extra mass he put on last summer hurt him. He needs to work on agility, footwork and confidence. I like Tyler and feel that we always got his best, such as it is. I would love for him to be a productive part of the team but it would not surprise me to see him drop in the post players rotation. It is bad news for us if he doesn't. That said he's a good kid and I wish the best for him.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There are four issues here!

First is the degree of assault! Did he hit the girl causing the glasses to fall or did he grab her while she was moving away, caught her hair and as she moved forward causing her head to change direction, it resulted in her glasses falling off her face. There is quite a difference in the actions with these two scenarios and none of us morons were there to know what took place. All we can say for certain is that he was trespassing, he did not leave when asked and he did something to the girl.

The second issue is image. Some of us are more concerned about negative press than justice so we don't care about the true extent of Wolf's guilt but only that our programs sacred image isn't further damaged. Of course there is the opposite chorus that doesn't care if he's guilty as sin so long as he contributes to a decent year. Both these extremes of thinking are dangerous imo.

This bring up 2b. Should people be given second chances? Should any of the games CB was involved with be removed from UConn's records because he was given a second chance? Do we make distinctions with behavior before coming to UConn vs. while at UConn?

Third is the unknown about players contributions next season. Anyone knowing for certain what a senior Wolf can or can not do based on this and prior seasons and presenting their opinions as beyond questioning should set up a booth with a crystal ball and join a circus. Same with the incoming freshman. It is juvenile to make arguments of unknown future events to back up an emotional opinion regarding points one and two I have presented above.

Just my four cents.

He is not an American citizen so first things first... Does this episode (even if found Not Guilty) get him tossed out of the country for a period of time. We all know that Innocent and Not Guilty are two completely different things.

Disregarding point 2a and 3 for a moment, I believe a second chance is dependant on past behavior. I am inclined to think that every one should get a second chance. We all make mistakes. It's the chances granted following the 2nd, 3,rd, 4th, and 5th occurances that typically get a governing body in trouble (examples: Lawrence Phillips, Pacman Jones, Florida Gators).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Are you trying to challenge freescooter for the strawman argument crown? Besides your ass, where are you pulling these conclusions from out of a one line post?

Do you even know what a strawman argument is? Doesn't sound like it. Wolf was tons better this year than last and with all the PT he got he would be even better next year. But I think he's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom