Enjoying winter cycling | The Boneyard

Enjoying winter cycling

Reaction Score
I love biking in 98° weather during the summer but I'm on a mission to bike through the winter as I am trying to ride through every town in Connecticut eventually. I have more chunks of time on my hands during the winter months for longer rides. Definetly living and learning this winter season especially with clothing attire. Caught frostnip pretty bad on my toes and fingers on November 25 as I wasn’t as prepared in hindsight; almost fully recovered now but it’s taking months. Since then, been dressing better more proactively. Few weeks ago I rode for 37 miles in 6° reel feel temperatures and felt great. Wore Baleaf Pants, Baleaf Jacket, Hikenture Under Helmet Skull Cap Liner, Pearl Izumi lobster gloves, Rockbros shoe covers, Patagonia shirt, GGYD Heated Socks, Under Armor cold gear shirt, Sunmeci windproof neck gaiter, electric socks and toe warmers. Have a some Blivet Quilo Winter Boots SPD coming in this week. Excited about that, think my winter cycling attire will be 100% complete.

Never thought I’d enjoy riding in the dead of winter but really liking it. Rarely see any other cyclists on the road currently, feel like it’s a badge of honor a bit Seeing some beautiful country side.

Anyone else riding outdoors in the wintertime!?

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
When I last lived in Connecticut, 1977, I rode every day one year. Even in snow storms. Ice storms were the most difficult, but I persisted and fell a lot. I loved winter riding, at least at that age (28)

Now that I'm much older, I moved to warm climates so I can again ride almost every day. It's the summers that are difficult, I often start at 5 AM, but even then, once the streets heat up, I sometimes can't ride. Oh, to be 28 again!

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Yeah but I live in Florida! Actually I can't bike out on the roads anymore due to persistent vertigo. I do want to commend you for setting goals. I always did and still do. My goals now at 72 are nowhere close to those when I was in my 40s. Now I want 100 miles of walking 100 miles of biking on my Peloton, 10 thirty minute sessions in the lap pool and 10 rounds of golf every month. Within each of the goals are subgoals. Lastly just be careful on the bike. My vertigo is the result of several concussions resulting from bike accidents!

Reaction Score
Good stuff. I try to be super careful on the bike: big rear and front lights, helmet, orange top layer, rear view helmet mirror, make myself visible, adhere to traffic patterns, common sense hand signals and try to wave to to as many people as I can. I’d have to say that the surrounding cars have been great. I’m the culprit if I’m being indecisive for a moment. I typically ride one a week.

As far as goals:
A. Rode 150 miles two years ago in one day on the railroad trails.
B. Rode last year up Willis St. In Bristol without stopping from two towns away in 98° temperature.
C. Currently trying to ride through every town in Connecticut.
D. Try to hit 1,500 miles this year

Have some other light future goals but worried I’m going to not be a motivated if I crawl out of the rabbit hole. Have to keep it fun with good goals:
TBD in no particular order.
A. Climb the Top Ten Hills in Connecticut.
B. Ride every street in my town
C. Climb Mt. Washington [insane]
D. Ride at least once a week
F. Ride more than once a week.

Any other fun goals I might be missing?

Reaction Score
I ride trails year-round. When conditions (snow, soft ground) require it, I use my fat bike with studded tires. I don't go out when it's below 20°F. Between that and 32°, I use neoprene toe covers between two socks. I have bar mitts on the handle bars and wear winter riding gloves. Other than that I sometimes wear a long sleeved shirt and/or skull cap if needed, but they're usually unnecessary. I find that if I can keep my fingers and toes comfortable, I'm good.

Last year I got real bundled up and rode that morning when it was around 0°F actual temperature. I would have been fine, but I had exposed skin between my goggles and the collar of my shirts. It got really painful in that area and I lasted less than 10 minutes. If I had a balaclava I think I would have been fine indefinitely.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Oh, one tip which you may have already figured out - carbon fiber handlebars are your friend in really cold temps. They don't freeze your hands like aluminum tends to.

Reaction Score
I ride in the woods year round but less often in my older years. With the growing awareness of the impact we have on the soft trails, I'm waiting for a freeze or some drying on the ground. My favorite riding is on the fast grippy surface of clear, frozen trails. I also use the 20 deg limit now. I sometimes ride on the road to get to the trails and can't wait to get into the woods. Feels much warmer.
I have been skiing my whole life and liken the preparations for riding the same way. Layer up and cover up. It can be quite comfortable.

Reaction Score
I love biking in 98° weather during the summer but I'm on a mission to bike through the winter as I am trying to ride through every town in Connecticut eventually. I have more chunks of time on my hands during the winter months for longer rides. Definetly living and learning this winter season especially with clothing attire. Caught frostnip pretty bad on my toes and fingers on November 25 as I wasn’t as prepared in hindsight; almost fully recovered now but it’s taking months. Since then, been dressing better more proactively. Few weeks ago I rode for 37 miles in 6° reel feel temperatures and felt great. Wore Baleaf Pants, Baleaf Jacket, Hikenture Under Helmet Skull Cap Liner, Pearl Izumi lobster gloves, Rockbros shoe covers, Patagonia shirt, GGYD Heated Socks, Under Armor cold gear shirt, Sunmeci windproof neck gaiter, electric socks and toe warmers. Have a some Blivet Quilo Winter Boots SPD coming in this week. Excited about that, think my winter cycling attire will be 100% complete.

Never thought I’d enjoy riding in the dead of winter but really liking it. Rarely see any other cyclists on the road currently, feel like it’s a badge of honor a bit Seeing some beautiful country side.

In years past I will throw on the winter riding gear and hit the road. Just need to worry about the sand and the distracted drivers. Now that my hip is fixed, I am hoping to get out there before the spring.

Reaction Score
The past several years I have been riding more during the fall/winter/spring season than the summer.

I live in NYC and have been all-year-round bike commuting (except during snow/ice/rain) for the past 11 years to Midtown. During the winter I usually hit Central Park and do several loops three or four times a week. I also occasionally do the GWB-TZB 50 mile circuit and less often the GWB-9W-Bear Mountain 100 mile ride.

Cycling is so much fun and efficient. I preach it like gospel to everyone. lol

But yeah, I'm getting less tolerant of hot/humid summer weather. I love the winter cold that minimizes sweat.

Welcome to winter riding bud!

My Winter GEAR:

for <32F and <60F weather

-Gore Windstopper Soft Shell Bike Jacket
-Facemask
-Pearl Izumis winter gloves
-Peal Izumis Winter Booties for the clipless shoes
-Thermal Bicycle long bibs
-Road cycling short sleeve shirt is enough

between >20 and <32F:

-I add a Gore Windstopper Soft Shell arm sleeves to extend my cycling shirt below the jacket

Below 20F:

-I rarely ride below 20F. I only ride below 20 for commuting purposes. It's a 5 mile (18-22 min) commute which is quick enough to avoid any cramping

-----

For me, this gear has been extremely effective for cycling in very cold conditions for over 30-50 miles. I've found that in very cold weather (20-32F) after 30 miles or so no matter the gloves I use my fingers start cramp up. Its no fun so I rarely do it. Some times I hit Central Park in very cold weather as it's easy to get home if the cold starts getting to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The key to winter riding is having layers that you can use/remove easily. It's better to over dress and remove a layer along the way than having to return home prematurely for under-dressing. Checking the weather and having your own temp cutoffs where you know what to wear is also key.

these are the cutoffs that work for me over the years:

60F
40-60F
32-40F
20-32F

Reaction Score
Been taking scrupulous notes on my clothing and temperatures. Layers are the key. In regards to temps and clothing, I’d rather bike in 0°to 32° or 45° to 100°, during those temps you know exactly what to wear. It’s the spring and fall where the temperatures range so much. You can start off with a ride at 32° and then an hour later it could be 45°. Agree, Layers are the key and removing stuff is valuable. The consensus on a lot of articles is to start off a bit cold and then warm up. I’d rather dress a bit too warm knowing my body. But yah, overheating is terrible too.

Reaction Score
Rode year round and averaged between five and six thousand miles a year through my fifties in New Jersey. This was split between a steel single speed that I used for communiting (18 miles round trip), a carbon fiber road bike that I used on the weekends, and a steel cross bike that I put studed tires on for commuting and weekend riding when conditions dictated.

After a few years, when the weather got below the mid thirties I kinda gave up riding the road bike. Trying to find the sweet spot where you dont sweat too much when working a hill, and yet still have enough on to stay warm during a post bonk slog home, trying to stay hydrated drinking slush out of my water bottle, the whole ritual of acquiring and putting on all the winter stuff with different gear for each 10 degrees. It all gradually lost its appeal.

What I wound up doing, was just dressing in jeans and regular winter coat/work boots etc and going for long, much slower weekend rides on my commuter. (had platform pedals on commuter and cross bike) Rode more urbanized routes than on the road bike. Took my time and made stops for breaks, lunch etc. Had lights for commuting so I could still ride into late afternoons without worry. Enjoyed the more laid back vibe and change of scenery.

Then evey spring getting on the road bike was like all of a sudden driving a Maserati after driving an old station wagon. A different kind of fun.

Live in Philly now and still ride a couple of thousand miles as my bike is my primary transportation(steel hybrid with one chainring and 8 cog rear) Use the car maybe twice a month.

Also,I have a gore windstopper softshell jacket in good condition. Good from 20s to mid 30’s with different base layers. If you’re medium and want it you can have it. PM if interested.

Reaction Score
Started riding again last year after a long hiatus since I was working for a MTB company and everyone there rode and had spare bikes for me to mooch. Then the company went under this past fall and my riding will likely drop significantly...granted it's CO so I'm snowboarding now anyways

Reaction Score
Hi Mussels. I’m impressed!! Interested in the Gore coat. Trying to figure out how to PM
Try hitting the envelope icon at the top bar. It should say something like “start a conversation.” I just tried to do the same, and it gave a message saying “oops we ran into problems” “ “ you cant send a message to MTBingNinja “

See if you get the same result. Ill try again later in case its just a temporary thing.

also check your settings to see if you’ve blocked receiving private messages (I‘ll do the same)

Reaction Score

After UConn many years ago I moved south just over the state line and I mtb in NY/CT every weekend all year round (except in the rain). Helps that the area has incredible terrain and skilled diggers maintaining great trails. I Mtb > Road esp in the winter but do both in summer.

My best piece of gear, which you mentioned above, are Capo gore-Tex split finger (lobster claw) mittens which maximize warmth but leave the brake finger free. No more bar mitts! Second best is a wool neck gator, allows me to unzip to vent when the heat builds but protects from direct wind.

Reaction Score
Started riding again last year after a long hiatus since I was working for a MTB company and everyone there rode and had spare bikes for me to mooch. Then the company went under this past fall and my riding will likely drop significantly...granted it's CO so I'm snowboarding now anyways
What an emotional journey - I don’t know if I’m more happy that you were working for an mtb co or sad to hear your company went under. Good luck landing on your feet.

Reaction Score
I don’t ride much road, but ride as much mtb as I can in the cold and snow … maybe 3x/week.
  • the baleaf pants. Won’t touch them below 30 degrees, too sweaty. But warm when cold!
  • hands. Just got bar mitts, 2 hour 20 degree night ride and my fingers were warm wearing only thin summer gloves. The Rockbros ones on Amazon are less than $30 and great, just get large. I also have pearl uzumi lobster gloves that work well, but prefer thin gloves with barmitts.
  • head. Thin merino wool balaclava. Holy crap do they keep in heat.
  • Toes. I use Lake mxz303 boots, but toes need warmers below 20ish. I should probably just do flats and winter boots … the steel cleats transfer cold into the boot. Tall ski socks that connect feet to your warmer parts near your torso are import.
  • torso. Layers under the most breathable wind breaking jacket. Sweat gets cold. I have a pearl izumi pro that keeps the wind out.

Be safe on the road!

Reaction Score
What an emotional journey - I don’t know if I’m more happy that you were working for an mtb co or sad to hear your company went under. Good luck landing on your feet.
It worked out ok. I had a blast working there - probably one of the coolest things I could do with an engineering degree - and then landed a good gig pretty quick after things went south.

RIP Guerrilla Gravity

Reaction Score
Try hitting the envelope icon at the top bar. It should say something like “start a conversation.” I just tried to do the same, and it gave a message saying “oops we ran into problems” “ “ you cant send a message to MTBingNinja “

See if you get the same result. Ill try again later in case its just a temporary thing.

also check your settings to see if you’ve blocked receiving private messages (I‘ll do the same)

No luck so far for a PM, checking my settings/preferences. Will keep trying.

Reaction Score
No luck so far for a PM, checking my settings/preferences. Will keep trying.
Have you tried sending me a message? (click the lettle envelope icon)

also I think that my inability to message you may be in your settings . Try going to your settings and then hit ”privacy” You should see options about who can start a conversation with you. You want “Members only” as oposed to “no one”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom