End state relationship with and tax breaks for ESPN NOW | The Boneyard

End state relationship with and tax breaks for ESPN NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Listening to the ESPN executives bloviate yesterday over how great the new contract is makes me want to puke. As they talk out of both sides of their mouths, they happily accept tax breaks and sweetheart loans from the state of Connecticut, all the while orchestrating a series of events that has now demonstrably done severe financial damage to the state of Connecticut's flagship university.

Yesterday's announcement crystallized that damage. Now that the numbers are officially in, we have a TV contract that will, amazingly, pay us $2 MILLION LESS that our previous one - $1.8 million a year.
Compare that to the big boys- ACC payouts are $17.1 million, Big Ten, Pac 12 and Big 12 at least $20 million, and the SEC poised to exceed $20 million.

Less than two years ago, our former "partners" helped talk us out of one that would have paid $14 million a year. Two of those "partners" -- with a nice little nudge from ESPN -- bailed on us to start the avalanche that threatens to bury UConn.

Again, this has clearly gone above the Sue/Warde level. They don't decide who gets state aid and tax breaks. If ESPN doesn't want to help us, fine (not really). But why are we paying for the privilege to get pummelled into irrelevance?

It's time for the Board of Trustees -- which includes Malloy, the state commissioner in charge of first five (Smith), other current and former elected officials, and noted ESPN employee Rebecca Lobo -- to stand together and freaking say SOMETHING about this. Quit hiding behind Sue.

P.S. - Note to local media - next time you have John Skipper on a conference call you might want to ask him about this. And to that ditzy male local news anchor who threw out the $126 million figure like it was a big deal -- putting Cronkite like inflection as if this was a great thing -- do your freakin research.

PPS - for a nice little primer on how ESPN has guided this process, read at the link below.

http://outkickthecoverage.com/espn-fox-advising-big-12-on-expansion-adding-notre-dame.php

Reaction Score
I am glad people like the OP don't make decisions for the state of CT. How would this plan improve anything? Think about it.

Reaction Score
I am glad people like the OP don't make decisions for the state of CT. How would this plan improve anything? Think about it.

So we sit back and passively accept all this ? Love how people are quick to shoot stuff down. Let me hear your "Plan" big guy

Reaction Score
Ok. Assume that happens. Then what?

The state clearly cares more about jobs than the size of the UCONN TV contract. As well they should.

So you're saying it's fine to accept mid-major or worse status and not hold ESPN accountable in some way as long as long as they employ a lot of people? I'd disagree, but I guess that would be a practical position -- UConn has to give up being in the big time as long as we don't do anything that might piss off major state employer that's receiving tax breaks.

Reaction Score
My plan? Continue to improve academics. Get approved for AAU membership. Field winning sports teams. If those things occur, good things will happen.

Lashing out at perceived enemies will do nothing. That's what we did when BC and Miami left, and what good did that do?

It would be counterproductive to make an enemy of ESPN.

Reaction Score
My plan? Continue to improve academics. Get approved for AAU membership. Field winning sports teams. If those things occur, good things will happen.

Lashing out at perceived enemies will do nothing. That's what we did when BC and Miami left, and what good did that do?

It would be counterproductive to make an enemy of ESPN.

Keep wearing those rose-colored glasses, Gee. Because your plan will consign UConn to irrelevance faster than Gene DiFlippo could dream. There's a difference between "lashing out" and fighting smart. Because Blumenthal fought poorly doesn't mean it should never be attempted again.

And no one said "make an enemy" of ESPN. Hold them accountable and get them to help us instead of pretending they have no power in this process.

Reaction Score
and what will your plan do? if we end the state relationship with espn, what do you expect to happen? I doubt the espn folks would ask for forgiveness and tell us that they now will do anything necessary to help us join the acc or big 10. instead, they would move to another state which certainly would hasten our journey to "irrelevance."

Reaction Score
instead, they would move to another state which certainly would hasten our journey to "irrelevance."

There's a lot of infrastructure in Bristol that would not be cheap to replicate elsewhere.

ESPN should be asked/pushed to do something to truly help UConn. Doesn't have to be confrontational, but the words "anti-trust" being used wouldn't hurt.

Reaction Score
and what will your plan do? if we end the state relationship with espn, what do you expect to happen? I doubt the espn folks would ask for forgiveness and tell us that they now will do anything necessary to help us join the acc or big 10. instead, they would move to another state which certainly would hasten our journey to "irrelevance."

I highly doubt they would move to another state regardless of what the state does or doesn't do.

It would be extremely costly to duplicate the campus they have now and to find the qualified employees to start over would be a major head ache.

That said, our state government is too busy creating debt and discussing the possibility of bringing back tolls to pay for it. They would have no idea how to put any heat on ESPN.

Reaction Score
There may be time for such a strategy but its not now. We could then use the taxes collected from espn to subsidize UConn athletics. How you like them apples?

Reaction Score
Oh_Shit_Not_Again.jpg

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The state clearly cares more about jobs than the size of the UCONN TV contract. As well they should.

I am going out on a limb, but I bet there are other companies that would have liked $100 million in tax breaks, would have brought new jobs, and would have not screwed us over like this. Instead, we paid ESPN for jobs we already had in the state.

Reaction Score
Did ESPN violate some responsibility they had as a partner with the Big East if they in fact conspired with the ACC.
Would seem ESPN's actions have diminished the BE value to the extent the league was no longer viable. the fact they did this while in a contract with the BE suggests they might be liable.

It's pretty clear that ESPN's actions have cost Uconn millions in TV revenue.

Reaction Score
New rumor...

Ruskin = Tuxedo Yoda

TuxedoYoda 11:54am via Web
Amazing how the state of CT gives ESPN massive tax breaks but ESPN continues to make moves that screw over that state's flagship university.

Reaction Score
So we sit back and passively accept all this ? Love how people are quick to shoot stuff down. Let me hear your "Plan" big guy

One thing that continues to be intriguing, at least to me, is the total silence of avowed political opportunists like Malloy and Blumenthal. I keep hoping that they've been given "assurances" as to UCONN's place in the final configuration. By the way, NBC Sports HQ is now located in Stamford. They didn't offer much either.

Reaction Score
One thing that continues to be intriguing, at least to me, is the total silence of avowed political opportunists like Malloy and Blumenthal. I keep hoping that they've been given "assurances" as to UCONN's place in the final configuration. By the way, NBC Sports HQ is now located in Stamford. They didn't offer much either.

Agree on Malloy -- as for Blumenthal think he doesn't care any more since his last UConn athletic move blew up in his face and he is the most risk averse politician known to man.

I think Malloy would love to talk about this subject, but only when prompted by the Capitol press corps. And they haven't bothered since Pitt & Syracuse bolted for the ACC, at least according to Google.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree on Malloy -- as for Blumenthal think he doesn't care any more since his last UConn athletic move blew up in his face and he is the most risk averse politician known to man.

I think Malloy would love to talk about this subject, but only when prompted by the Capitol press corps. And they haven't bothered since Pitt & Syracuse bolted for the ACC, at least according to Google.
Let's hope that continues Malloy is an idiot.

Reaction Score
So you're saying it's fine to accept mid-major or worse status and not hold ESPN accountable in some way as long as long as they employ a lot of people? I'd disagree, but I guess that would be a practical position -- UConn has to give up being in the big time as long as we don't do anything that might piss off major state employer that's receiving tax breaks.

Do you really think that UConn's TV contract revenue is that much of a priority for the state? Your comment at the end is exactly what it boils down to. The state gives them tax breaks because they create jobs and are still a major source of tax revenue. It has absolutely nothing to do with some quid pro quo relationship over a couple million bucks going to UConn every year.

Reaction Score

I thought people on this board were trying to convince us about the importance of UConn athletics when it comes to UConn academics?

Reaction Score
Do you really think that UConn's TV contract revenue is that much of a priority for the state? Your comment at the end is exactly what it boils down to. The state gives them tax breaks because they create jobs and are still a major source of tax revenue. It has absolutely nothing to do with some quid pro quo relationship over a couple million bucks going to UConn every year.

But weren't you just saying in another thread that UConn athletics leads to support for the university?

Reaction Score
Yes, your point?

States support schools with billions of dollars. If athletics is that important to a school's advancement, the state may indeed lean on ESPN rather than have ESPN hurt one of its units.

ESPN likes Connecticut for the same reason that NBC just moved to Connecticut. You have to be near Madison Avenue if you're a major TV player, and Conn. is cheaper than New Jersey and Manhattan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom