End of Year Awards | The Boneyard

End of Year Awards

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
We still have a full month until the tournament, but I think some end of year hardware is starting to look clear as the season winds down:

POY: Clark has this on lock.

COY: Staley has this on lock too. Lots of other nice coaching jobs this year but the way SC has absolutely dominated women's basketball in a parity filled year after losing all 5 starters is unprecedented. Reminds me a bit of UCONN in 2016-17 when they had an undefeated regular season after graduating the top 3 picks. Cases could be made for Scott Rueck, Jeff Mittie, Vic Schafer, JR Payne and Wes Moore but I think Dawn is the runaway pick.

FOY: Clear 2 woman race between Watkins and Hidalgo. I'd pick Hidalgo at this point but you really can't go wrong with either. There are SO many good freshmen this year.

DPOY: Brink, another player who probably has this on lock. She leads the nation in blocks per game and will get her deserved hardware this year. Hidalgo is another potential candidate with her 5+ steals per game, but I think Cam gets it.

Conference POY Awards:
Big Ten-Caitlin Clark (lock)
SEC-Angel Reese (lock)
Big East-Paige Bueckers (lock)
Pac 12-This one is more open. I think Brink is the favorite, but I wouldn't count out Beers or Watkins at this point. Pili is great but I don't think she wins it if her team isn't top 2-3 (currently they're 6th).
ACC-Kitley looks like the favorite at this point. Would love to see Hidalgo or Fair bring it home but can't deny Kitley is having another brilliant season.
Big 12-Another one that's open. Rori Harmon and Ayoka Lee would've been the clear favorites but both have dealt with injuries. Right now I think the strongest candidates are freshman Madison Booker and West Virginia's JJ Quinerly

Reaction Score
If SCar is still undefeated, it MAY be the first such team with no conference MVPs or even national positional all stars.

The entire bench should get the “6th Man” award. If only one player, Ashlyn Watkins.
Because South Carolina has overachieved preseason expectations, LSU has done the opposite, and South Carolina is clearly the number 1 team nationally, I could see Cardosa giving Reese a run for the money as POY in the SEC. I think Reese's early season issues, whatever they might have been could be a factor as well.

Not saying Reese won't get it, she probably is the favorite, just disagreeing that she is a lock for that award. Overall I think bballnut90 is spot on for everything else IMO.

Reaction Score
Because South Carolina has overachieved preseason expectations, LSU has done the opposite, and South Carolina is clearly the number 1 team nationally, I could see Cardosa giving Reese a run for the money as POY in the SEC. I think Reese's early season issues, whatever they might have been could be a factor as well.

Not saying Reese won't get it, she probably is the favorite, just disagreeing that she is a lock for that award. Overall I think bballnut90 is spot on for everything else IMO.
I agree. Reece is not a lock for SEC POY but she is the most likely candidate. Honestly there isn't a name that stands out in the SEC. I think the frontrunners would be Reece, Cardoso, Paopao, and Morrow. I can almost guarantee that someone from LSU or South Carolina will be chosen.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I would have a hard time with a conference POY that "missed" a couple of games due to undisclosed reasons (unless it was a medical issue, then, nevermind). Even though the award is for the Player, the player should also be judged by her impact as a team player.

Reaction Score
We still have a full month until the tournament, but I think some end of year hardware is starting to look clear as the season winds down:

POY: Clark has this on lock.

COY: Staley has this on lock too. Lots of other nice coaching jobs this year but the way SC has absolutely dominated women's basketball in a parity filled year after losing all 5 starters is unprecedented. Reminds me a bit of UCONN in 2016-17 when they had an undefeated regular season after graduating the top 3 picks. Cases could be made for Scott Rueck, Jeff Mittie, Vic Schafer, JR Payne and Wes Moore but I think Dawn is the runaway pick.

FOY: Clear 2 woman race between Watkins and Hidalgo. I'd pick Hidalgo at this point but you really can't go wrong with either. There are SO many good freshmen this year.

DPOY: Brink, another player who probably has this on lock. She leads the nation in blocks per game and will get her deserved hardware this year. Hidalgo is another potential candidate with her 5+ steals per game, but I think Cam gets it.

Conference POY Awards:
Big Ten-Caitlin Clark (lock)
SEC-Angel Reese (lock)
Big East-Paige Bueckers (lock)
Pac 12-This one is more open. I think Brink is the favorite, but I wouldn't count out Beers or Watkins at this point. Pili is great but I don't think she wins it if her team isn't top 2-3 (currently they're 6th).
ACC-Kitley looks like the favorite at this point. Would love to see Hidalgo or Fair bring it home but can't deny Kitley is having another brilliant season.
Big 12-Another one that's open. Rori Harmon and Ayoka Lee would've been the clear favorites but both have dealt with injuries. Right now I think the strongest candidates are freshman Madison Booker and West Virginia's JJ Quinerly

I don't think Bueckers is a lock. Her running mate, Edwards and Karlen, from Marquette, may have a word.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I don't think Bueckers is a lock. Her running mate, Edwards and Karlen, from Marquette, may have a word.
And don't forget Lucy Olsen from Villanova, continuing the school's recent domination of the award.
But I am hoping that Paige plays well enough during the rest of the BE schedule to silence the doubters. If not her, then Aaliyah.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

As far as I know, conference POY is usually exclusive to conference play only. What you do in the early part of the year has no bearing on your chances of winning CPOY.

Reese in SEC play averages 19.4 points, 14.1 rebounds, 3.1 assists, 1.5 steals and 1 block per game on 47% shooting
Cardoso in SEC play averages 13.7 points, 9.4 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 0.6 steals, and 2.3 blocks on 57% shooting

Worth noting, last year there was a similar debate between Boston and voters chose Boston over Angel. Reese's case may have been stronger a year ago though, as LSU had only 1 loss in conference play and Reese's numbers were stronger than they are this year. Politics are another factor too though, as Boston was a senior coming off a POY season and her name likely carried some weight where I'm not sure Cardoso's does.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
If SCar is still undefeated, it MAY be the first such team with no conference MVPs or even national positional all stars.

The entire bench should get the “6th Man” award. If only one player, Ashlyn Watkins.

In 2017-18 Mississippi State was undefeated after the end of the regular season but missed out on SEC POY which went to A'ja Wilson over Victoria Vivians. Vivians was a 1st Team All American that year though and McCowan was 3rd team.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
As far as I know, conference POY is usually exclusive to conference play only. What you do in the early part of the year has no bearing on your chances of winning CPOY.

Reese in SEC play averages 19.4 points, 14.1 rebounds, 3.1 assists, 1.5 steals and 1 block per game on 47% shooting
Cardoso in SEC play averages 13.7 points, 9.4 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 0.6 steals, and 2.3 blocks on 57% shooting

Worth noting, last year there was a similar debate between Boston and voters chose Boston over Angel. Reese's case may have been stronger a year ago though, as LSU had only 1 loss in conference play and Reese's numbers were stronger than they are this year. Politics are another factor too though, as Boston was a senior coming off a POY season and her name likely carried some weight where I'm not sure Cardoso's does.
I didn't post anything about Cardoso, so no idea why you are referring to her in your reply to my post.

Reaction Score
BiG
POY Clark
COY McGuff?
FOY ?
TOY CTaylor?

PAC
POY Brink
COY Rueck
FOY Juju
TOY Betts

ACC
POY Kitley or Hidalgo
COY Wes Moore
FOY Hidalgo
TOY ?

SEC
POY Reese? Cardoso? Rickea?
COY dawn or Shea
FOY Fulwiley? MWilliams?
TOY PaoPao

B12
POY ?
COY Mittie
FOY Booker
TOY ?

BgE
POY Paige or Olsen
COY Geno or Dillon
FOY Shade or KK
TOY ?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
ACC
POY Kitley or Hidalgo
COY Wes Moore
FOY Hidalgo
TOY ?

As of today (2/14/2024), I think Kitley wins POY and Hidalgo wins FOY.

For COY, however, I am going to offer another name -- Felisha Legette-Jack.
Picked to finish ninth in the ACC preseason poll, Syracuse currently sits in second place. At 10-3 in the ACC, the Orange have already secured the most conference wins since the 2018-19 season. And the team's 7-1 conference start weas the best start SU has ever had in
conference play (Big East, ACC).

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Cant put the genie back in the bottle. Transfers are a major factor in who wins NCs, gets to the F4, ...
Yes, but it's the nature of making an award for transferring. Player of the year acknowledges the best player, defensive player the one with the best defense. Freshman of the year is the player who came into college and just wowwed from day one. What does transfer of the year acknowledge? Best use of the portal? Best player who just happened to transfer? Biggest leap in performance from before transferring to after? I guess I don't even know what we're trying to acknowledge with such an award.

Reaction Score
Yes, but it's the nature of making an award for transferring. Player of the year acknowledges the best player, defensive player the one with the best defense. Freshman of the year is the player who came into college and just wowwed from day one. What does transfer of the year acknowledge? Best use of the portal? Best player who just happened to transfer? Biggest leap in performance from before transferring to after? I guess I don't even know what we're trying to acknowledge with such an award.
Sometimes it’s the best correction of an original mistake.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
BiG
POY Clark
COY McGuff
FOY Potts (Nebraska)
TOY Owusu

PAC
POY Brink
COY Rueck
FOY Juju
TOY Betts

ACC
POY Kitley
COY Wes Moore
FOY Hidalgo
TOY Jefferson

SEC
POY Reese
COY Dawn
FOY Taliah Scott
TOY Morrow

B12 Booker
POY Booker
COY Baranczyk
FOY Booker
TOY Peterson (UCF) or Conner (TCU). Conner likely hasn't played enough games though to qualify.

BgE
POY Paige
COY Geno
FOY Shade
TOY Gray (Seton Hall)
Solid list, I updated it with my differing picks bolded.

Madison Booker in particular is in a unique spot. She isn't a lock for conference freshman of the year (Audi Crooks is putting up huge numbers) and isn't a realistic contender for national freshman of the year, but I think she could be the first player in Big 12 history to win conference POY as a freshmen. In conference play she's averaging 20 points, 5.8 rebounds, and 5.2 assists on 47% FG shooting, plus Texas is firmly in the hunt to win the Big 12 and has a light schedule to finish the regular season.

Reaction Score
Solid list, I updated it with my differing picks bolded.

Madison Booker in particular is in a unique spot. She isn't a lock for conference freshman of the year (Audi Crooks is putting up huge numbers) and isn't a realistic contender for national freshman of the year, but I think she could be the first player in Big 12 history to win conference POY as a freshmen. In conference play she's averaging 20 points, 5.8 rebounds, and 5.2 assists on 47% FG shooting, plus Texas is firmly in the hunt to win the Big 12 and has a light schedule to finish the regular season.
Any idea of when Lee may be back?

Reaction Score
Paige is going to win based on narrative (and she is deserving, no doubt) but I’d give it to Edwards. Producing excellent numbers while playing out of position as the only serviceable frontcourt player on the team.
POY is voted by the BgE coaches right. I’m not sure they are going to particularly care about a so-called “narrative.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom