End of the Civil ConFLiCT | The Boneyard

End of the Civil ConFLiCT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2870c9c0-594d-4d4e-b20e-95e5999e4856_normal.png
CollegeFootballTalk (@CFTalk)
10/22/16, 3:54 PM
UCF still has no use for faux rivalry with UConn, walks off field without Civil Conflict Trophy #collegefootball wp.me/p14QTT-1zzH

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Sad as it started out so promising. Sad for the team and fans.

I have to be honest; it started off as a trainwreck and it hadn't improved. It started off with:

1) Jesus in the huddle controvery, which caused an assistant to leave.
2) The first four games of his career were the "exhibition stage" rather than games that needed to be won.
3) Our opponents were our "partners" to help us learn.

And that was just the beginning.... :confused:

Reaction Score
Fine line between genius and lunacy because they both buck convention. I think the verdict is in on Diaco and he ain't no genius.

Reaction Score
Why does the program need to go through another year of this? Seriously.

Make no mistake: they are taking the hit now recruiting wise. The writing is on the wall. Extending it simply means you are extending the misery.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Why does the program need to go through another year of this?

That decision's been made.

How Benedict could think extending a football coach he didn't hire, sight unseen, with the budget UConn has is baffling to me. Absolutely baffling.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
It will be a long time before UConn ever has any sort of orcastrated "rivarly" with another school in Football- and that's sad.

Reaction Score
This insane "r1ivalry" can't end soon enough. It's embarrassing as fans and alumni to have our school and cash cow athletic program stoop to these kinds of levels with other garbage programs.

Cash cow? We take $2 million for the AAC television deal.

Reaction Score
That decision's been made.

How Benedict could think extending a football coach he didn't hire, sight unseen, with the budget UConn has is baffling to me. Absolutely baffling.
Larry McHugh?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Cash cow? We take $2 million for the AAC television deal.

I know. I meant it in the sense that football is the sport with the most CR weight and our only hope of ever getting out of the AAC and be properly/fairly compensated.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is a pretty interesting take from the Daily Campus, apologizing to Bob Diaco. Quoting:

"You are right, Mr. Diaco. There is no reason you should be scrutinized for this. You had good reasons, and good intentions. Trying to make a fun trophy game that fans and kids could enjoy was not a bad move in theory. And it’s not like UConn football is in the national spotlight for their performance; we can get away with something like this, making it fun while also trying our best to actually win.

Maybe it was the state of the football program that initially made this laughable. But one thing is for certain now: In publicly saying this is no longer a rivalry, you have actually just achieved your goal.

You just created a rivalry."​

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
he overthought it and made it too complicated with too many oblique references. If he had just called it "aFLiCTion", it probably would've stuck.... or not.

Reaction Score
i thought this "rivalry" was dumb when it started, but after watching SVP sportscenter and UCF leaving the trophy on the field like that. I was mad and now i want to beat them next year. So for what its worth i actually care about a conference game next year besides Cincinnati or USF. its still not like the days of Rutgers, pitt, West Virginia, Syracuse, cinci, USF, and Louisville but at least its something. Cause i don't care about playing ECU, Tulane, Tulsa, UCF (before this), Houston, SMU, even temple.

maybe i am just as crazy as diaco, i don't know anymore.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I for one couldn't care less whether we have any rivalry with UCF. They left the trophy behind because they feel the same way about beating us. We are just another meaningless conference opponent on an entire schedule of meaningless conference opponents, except for USF in their case. You don't accept a trophy unless you defeated somebody meaningful to you.

Rivalries are about hatred between schools and fanbases that develops over the years. I have no reason to hate UCF just for failing to participate in any stupid, one-sided contrived rivalry with us. I hope we beat them every time we play, but no more or less so than any other team in this conference of misfit toys.

Reaction Score
The best medicine for this team right now would be a nice long winning streak. Win out this season and go to a bowl. Win everything next season and no one will even remember "The Conflict".

Reaction Score
The best medicine for this team right now would be a nice long winning streak. Win out this season and go to a bowl. Win everything next season and no one will even remember "The Conflict".
Hell yeah!!!! Some guy won three in a row several years ago and people still talk of that coach. LEGEND....
I've got a feeling that if Diaco wins three in a row we'll learn about how weak the opponents were or how bad the play calling is. Maybe even at least three threads about clock management.

Death, taxes, and complaining about the current HC at Uconn.

Reaction Score
WRONG...No matter how hard we try few will forget the never popular Civil Conflict. May it Rest in Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom