Emotional Geno | The Boneyard

Emotional Geno

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It looked to me as if he teared up as he turned away after the players messed his hair with the confetti.

Reaction Score
He knows in his heart that there are not going to be many more opportunities to go to the final four and win National Championships at his age. Just speakiing as an old man having gone through this.

This has been a difficult season where everything was unpredictable. He has probably done one of the best jobs of coaching during this season and last night, I watched him do his "best" coaching through the two overtimes.

ESPN replayed a segment of Chrystyn making the last UConn basket at the end of the game with the clock running out. It quickly showed a picture of Geno and the play happened so fast that he almost did not see tthis going on with moment that he realized that UConn won the game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I liked Amari at very end putting a "dash of confetti" on Geno's head. :rolleyes:
Speaking of Amari, I think her time has come. With Dorka no longer available, Geno is going to need the next man to step up, that would be Amari DeBerry. He may only need her for 8-10 minutes. She needs to be ready. If 6'5" Liv gets in early foul trouble guarding Cameron Brink (6'4"), 6'3" Aaliyah won't fair much better for long. Amari MUST be ready to go and give Geno some minutes.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She's a character. She's so much fun to watch.
If I were a reserve player cheerleading from the bench, I would sit next to Amari. She is the most animated player there now that Paige has returned to active duty. She's a hoot. :D

Reaction Score
Speaking of Amari, I think her time has come. With Dorka no longer available, Geno is going to need the next man to step up, that would be Amari DeBerry. He may only need her for 8-10 minutes. She needs to be ready. If 6'5" Liv gets in early foul trouble guarding Cameron Brink (6'4"), 6'3" Aaliyah won't fair much better for long. Amari MUST be ready to go and give Geno some minutes.
As much as I'd like to see it, she's barely gotten minutes at the end of games up twenty points..........I really doubt Geno would use her against Stanford unless ONO and Edwards actually foul out...........even then I doubt it........I actually think Geno would put Gabriel in first as she's the more physical of the two (if she's there)

Reaction Score
I see this team as a bunch of characters who have character. Just watching how they care for one another and their coaches speaks volumes. Couple that with the will to do good for other folks in the community and inspire young kids to aspire to make the most of their abilities, in life as well as sports, is enough for me to be a proud fan of UConn's Women Basketball for life. We are truly blessed each year that we get to see these young women join the family and represent our university.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As we age, our perspective on life changes. There are things we appreciate much more than we did in our youth.

Geno has spent his life working with young adults, helping them to grow and mature, not just as ball players, but as adults ready to take their place in this world. Over this time he has built relationships with his players, former players and peers.

He knows it will not last much longer. Now is the time to savor these moments.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
For the Stanford game, the third forward (behind Liv and Aaliyah) will be Evina, and the fourth will be Caroline. Geno is not going to put Amari in a Final Four game (not this year).

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Me too. I found it most interesting that he talked about the pressure on him of making sure that his kids experienced the Final Four. It was about them going, not him.
Yep. He called it a responsibility. This is why all the second guessers and "I know betters" are so grating. He's not trying to build a resume or establish a name, everything he does is for the team and for his players. They, and we, are so lucky he ended up in Storrs. There is no UConn WCBB without Geno (and Chris).

Reaction Score
Every experienced coach knows it's a lot more stressful coaching a bad team than a good one. You want the experience to be good for the kids under your responsibility so you have to work even harder with the bad teams ( bad teams defined as not having a lot of talent to work with). Not saying this is a bad team but the talent is spread more among teams. I used to almost throw up before coaching my teams with little talent. My undefeated teams I could just roll out and watch them steam roll the other team.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Sounds like a bit of a fairy tale. If it’s necessary because of foul trouble,putting in a player who pretty much hasn’t played in any pressure situation in the national semis and holding the fort for more than even a minute or two is expecting quite a bit. I like feel good stories but it will be pretty amazing if she plays at all let alone many minutes I’m not so sure that means anything good for our chances. We will see. I like what seems to be her attitude.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Sounds like a bit of a fairy tale. If it’s necessary because of foul trouble,putting in a player who pretty much hasn’t played in any pressure situation in the national semis and holding the fort for more than even a minute or two is expecting quite a bit. I like feel good stories but it will be pretty amazing if she plays at all let alone many minutes I’m not so sure that means anything good for our chances. We will see. I like what seems to be her attitude.
Yeah, more likely Dorka's minutes go to Evina and Nika.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Re: His comments. Somewhere he mentioned folks saying "you only won because you have the best player." There is some truth to that BUT - for a long time the team DIDN'T have their best player. They struggled, but the coaching staff prevailed. This was not a "just roll out the ball and let them play" kinda year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom