Email from Susan Herbst | The Boneyard

Email from Susan Herbst

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Anyone else get an email today with a video from Susan? I can;t watch it where I am, any insight into what's on it?

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The state could save a lot of cash by canning this woman and picking a name out of a hat.

Reaction Score
The state could save a lot of cash by canning this woman and picking a name out of a hat.

I am acutely familiar with large State University campuses in the Northeastern US (Buffalo, Albany, Penn State, Rutgers, UMass-Lowell, UMass, Vermont, UNH, Stony Brook, Binghamton, URI, Temple). She is at the top Presidential level of all those. Vision, strong recruitment of staff, Capital raising, expansion of projects in the right future for this specific mission.

Stating something derogatory about her because of Diaco or something about this Football Program is ignorant.

When a campus has a poor President - and there are quite a few on that list - you will see a distinctly dramatic turn for the worse in that instituion as evidenced by key variables.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I am acutely familiar with large State University campuses in the Northeastern US (Buffalo, Albany, Penn State, Rutgers, UMass-Lowell, UMass, Vermont, UNH, Stony Brook, Binghamton, URI, Temple). She is at the top Presidential level of all those. Vision, strong recruitment of staff, Capital raising, expansion of projects in the right future for this specific mission.

Stating something derogatory about her because of Diaco or something about this Football Program is ignorant.

When a campus has a poor President - and there are quite a few on that list - you will see a distinctly dramatic turn for the worse in that instituion as evidenced by key variables.

Just the sort of Kool Aid drink that has every state employee(except Ollie) overpaid.

Reaction Score

UConn President Susan Herbst met recently with members of the UConn community to discuss the future of the University. Below is a list of some of the topics that were covered. If you're interested in a particular topic, click the timecode(s) below to view that specific section.

1. UConn's Success 0:10
2. Appropriations & Economy 1:32
3. Diversity 3:40
4. Endowment 6:13
5. Downtown Hartford 8:07
6. Economic Drivers 10:25
7. Ranking 12:43
8. Graduate Job Outlook 14:40
9. Scholarships 16:41

Reaction Score
pnow15 what is your merits/beliefs that designate the quality of a school president? How do you compare UConn's last two schools Presidents to Herbst? Also, are you a UConn grad? If so, what year did you graduate and what is your perception of the university from when you graduated compared to right now?

You statement seemed just silly, so I would like some context to why you would make such a statement.

Reaction Score
pnow15 what is your merits/beliefs that designate the quality of a school president? How do you compare UConn's last two schools Presidents to Herbst? Also, are you a UConn grad? If so, what year did you graduate and what is your perception of the university from when you graduated compared to right now?

You statement seemed just silly, so I would like some context to why you would make such a statement.

.....waiting

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

UConn President Susan Herbst met recently with members of the UConn community to discuss the future of the University. Below is a list of some of the topics that were covered. If you're interested in a particular topic, click the timecode(s) below to view that specific section.

1. UConn's Success 0:10
2. Appropriations & Economy 1:32
3. Diversity 3:40
4. Endowment 6:13
5. Downtown Hartford 8:07
6. Economic Drivers 10:25
7. Ranking 12:43
8. Graduate Job Outlook 14:40
9. Scholarships 16:41

I'm convinced that Medic is really a BY algorithm program that answers questions about where to find stuff in no less than 1 minute.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yes, I got the email too. I have to admit that when I saw the email subject line "A Conversation of the Future of UConn", my heart dropped given all of the CR talk in the past few years.

Love everything President Herbst said in this video - aside from the endowment being low and the state cutting support. But that's not her fault in the slightest.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Move this to the Entertainment thread.
Or soccer

Reaction Score
Not a big fan, but I suppose we could do a hell of a lot worse. From an academic leadership perspective, she has all right stuff. In the modern world of college sports and entertainment, a fish out of water.

Reaction Score
Not a big fan, but I suppose we could do a hell of a lot worse. From an academic leadership perspective, she has all right stuff. In the modern world of college sports and entertainment, a fish out of water.

That's a fair assessment.

I'm not as hard on her - because I think we went into all of this with a big disadvantage, mainly we started 1-A football about 10 years too late. I agree that she hasn't handled all of this stuff optimally, but I'm pretty sure that was a very small part of the conversation when she was hired.

She has hired two ADs - one who went on from here to be AD at Michigan, and the other one straight out of the SEC.

I know it pains everyone on the BY, but UCONN is a top 20 public university and will most likely stay there or even rise in the rankings, even if we stay in the AAC forever.

Reaction Score
Yes, I got the email too. I have to admit that when I saw the email subject line "A Conversation of the Future of UConn", my heart dropped given all of the CR talk in the past few years.

Love everything President Herbst said in this video - aside from the endowment being low and the state cutting support. But that's not her fault in the slightest.

me too. When I saw the subject line my first immediate reaction was "oh God........"

Reaction Score
I respect her work but am not a great fan. I hear that she isn't very well liked on campus but again she is respected. I don't think she really gets or even cares to get the Athletics stuff. She does what she must on that front. If she could click her heels and make us division III she'd do it in a heartbeat though I suspect most college presdents would.

I agree Jmoney on the football situation. My thoughts on the AD are she hired one out of the SEC by way of the PAC. She hired the other out of the MAC.

Reaction Score
Far from it. She is the best asset we have at UConn. When my wife and I had dinner with TJ Weist and his wife after he'd been let go, I asked him what he thought of Herbst, both in her support of him and generally as a President. He ticked off all the schools he'd ever been associated with--Alabama, Michigan, Western Kentucky, Tulsa, Indiana, Southern Illinois, Cincinnati and UConn and said without question she is the most talented administrator and absolutely the best leader of them all--in fact his term was "head and shoulders "above them all. I'll take that as high enough praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom