Elliot Ball Park- New UConn Baseball Stadium Name | The Boneyard

Elliot Ball Park- New UConn Baseball Stadium Name

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'd drop Ball from the name, just call it Elliott Park or Elliott Field.

Reaction Score
In previous documents - that naming right was plugged @ $3m.

Well done Doug Elliott, well done!

So... J.O. Christian Field at Elliot Ball Park?

I listened to a recent interview with Coach Penders where he was talking about the new athletic facilities (it may have been with Mike Crispino during a pregame interview, but I'm not totally sure). The subject of the name of the new baseball stadium came up, and I believe Penders said that the JO Christian name was not going to be attached to the new baseball facility. Penders said that there was going to be a new practice field/intermural field built where the current baseball field is. This practice/intermural field would still carry the JO Christian name, on the field that has been named after him all these many years. Penders thought this was a fitting tribute, as JO Christian was much more than just a baseball coach during his tenure at UConn. I'm inclined to agree with Penders.

Reaction Score
This is awesome to hear! Some cursory research shows that Doug Elliot, Jr. also played baseball at UConn from 2007-2011 (or abouts), just like his father! Of course I wasn’t following the team more than casually back then, so I don’t remember him. Maybe some of you do, considering the squads we had during those years.

Reaction Score
This is awesome to hear! Some cursory research shows that Doug Elliot, Jr. also played baseball at UConn from 2007-2011 (or abouts), just like his father! Of course I wasn’t following the team more than casually back then, so I don’t remember him. Maybe some of you do, considering the squads we had during those years.

He walked the walk...

Time To Bring UConn Baseball Into A New Home - University of Connecticut Athletics

>>Serving as Chairman of the Baseball Stadium Enhancement Fund is Doug Elliot '82 (BUS), UConn's three-year starting catcher for Head Coach Andy Baylock from 1980-82. Over twenty-five years later, from 2008-11, Doug was able to enjoy following his alma mater as a dad. His son Doug excelled for the Huskies of Jim Penders from 2008-11.<<

Reaction Score

Doug was pretty damn good!

While I had been listening to UConn baseball games on WHUS starting in 2006, 2010 really represents the real start of my starting to pay attention to UConn baseball, and it would gradually ramp up from there. In 2010 Doug Elliott and Joe Pavone were spitting time behind the plate. They both made for a very solid catching tandem when they were together on the team.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Doug Jr was a pretty good receiver, not a great hitter but showed some power his senior year. I thought he handled the staff well.

Reaction Score
Another ballpark sponsorship tidbit from Amore’s Matt Barnes article today:

>>It has been quite a year on all fronts for Barnes, from Bethel High. After earning his World Series ring, Barnes and Chelsea Zara were married in January, and he signed for $1.6 million. He has pledged $50,000 to help build the new baseball stadium at UConn, where the home bullpen will be named for him.

“It’s going to be awesome,” he said. “Those guys over there did a lot for me in the three years I was [at UConn], and they continue to do good things. I’m just fortunate enough I’ve been in a position to help them out.”<<

Even as a lifelong Yankee fan I have to applaud that move.;)

Reaction Score
Even as a lifelong Yankee fan I have to applaud that move.;)

As a life long Yankee fan, I'm looking forward to the day where the Yankees draft and sign some UConn players after their career in Storrs.

Reaction Score
As a life long Yankee fan, I'm looking forward to the day where the Yankees draft and sign some UConn players after their career in Storrs.

Tim Norton was drafted by the Yankees but injuries derailed his career. He’s now a pitching coach in their minor league system.
Tim Norton - Wikipedia

Reaction Score
Tim Norton was drafted by the Yankees but injuries derailed his career. He’s now a pitching coach in their minor league system.
Tim Norton - Wikipedia

I knew that, but that was before I started following UConn baseball. I'm talking about players that now I would be familiar with.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1556129632982.png

:D:D:D

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Still not loving the "Elliot Ballpark" rather than Elliot Park or Elliot Field (or CL82 Field, but I digress.) That said, you pays the man, you names your field.

Reaction Score

I really like this quote from this article:

>"What was swirling in my mind for the last few years was how to get this [new facility] over the finish line," Elliot said, in a statement released by UConn on Wednesday. "I'm not sure we realize how fortunate we are that the Husky baseball foundation Andy Baylock and his predecessors built and that Jim Penders has now taken to the next level, is just incredible and has become a well-respected, national program. With the facility limitations Jim has faced, the success of our program is even more amazing. Our players and program have earned the right to have a first-class facility. That's why, in the end Sheila and I wanted to do what we could do to change that dynamic with our lead financial gift. Husky baseball runs deep inside our family and so the ability to give back a small token of what we have received is a blessing.”<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom