Elite 8 Secret Weapon | The Boneyard

Elite 8 Secret Weapon

Reaction Score
I think you will see some of Q Monday night.
She is a good rebounder and will give the starters some rest.

If this happens, remember you read it here.
If it doesn't happen, then I never said it.

:(
I agree, even limited minutes to give exhausted players a chance to catch their breaths. Makes no sense what so ever that she doesn't play.

Reaction Score
It was a defensive battle vs Duke. Q’s defense is still developing and isn’t yet at the level needed last night
That's exactly right and very perceptive as usual. Always the issue with her and hopefully next year it will be there. She has all the athleticism and the arms, hands and speed to be a great defender. Really just needs the fundamentals like boxing out, not turning your head, better switches, moving her feet, to name a few. If she gets them down, she will see a lot of time. Her offense has improved with her better selectivity on her shooting. She has a very high ceiling but you gotta play the D here or you don't really play.

Reaction Score
That's exactly right and very perceptive as usual. Always the issue with her and hopefully next year it will be there. She has all the athleticism and the arms, hands and speed to be a great defender. Really just needs the fundamentals like boxing out, not turning your head, better switches, moving her feet, to name a few. If she gets them down, she will see a lot of time. Her offense has improved with her better selectivity on her shooting. She has a very high ceiling but you gotta play the D here or you don't really play.
Sometimes the best defense is offense. When they were up 20...don't see how you couldn't have stolen some minutes of rest for some of the others. What's the difference if she gets beat on defense like some of the exhausted others? And I know everyone keeps emphasizing her defense, but she isn't the only one getting beat and she wasn't on the floor when they gave up a huge lead. Playing for long stretches or alongside Ice, probably not a good strategy. And even if she doesn't shoot...and she can...you have to guard her. I mean with so few bodies you have to steal some minutes. Put her in 2 minutes...slow down the offense for 2 minutes? Play zone for those 2 minutes. It wasn't as if Duke was shooting lights out. Same with Ice. She's struggling with decision making when she catches at the foul line area. It's so obvious. So simplify and let her get the ball closer to the basket and allow Edwards to work the foul line area. Plus, Edwards can actually make that shot consistently and it draws their big out. They just sag off Ice. I like our offense, but I think when certain players are on the floor...we need to just simplify. We're efficient, but the number of possesses is low. Playing quicker or taking shots earlier in the clock is the solution, but hard to do when you're gassed.

Reaction Score
Sometimes the best defense is offense. When they were up 20...don't see how you couldn't have stolen some minutes of rest for some of the others. What's the difference if she gets beat on defense like some of the exhausted others? And I know everyone keeps emphasizing her defense, but she isn't the only one getting beat and she wasn't on the floor when they gave up a huge lead. Playing for long stretches or alongside Ice, probably not a good strategy. And even if she doesn't shoot...and she can...you have to guard her. I mean with so few bodies you have to steal some minutes. Put her in 2 minutes...slow down the offense for 2 minutes? Play zone for those 2 minutes. It wasn't as if Duke was shooting lights out. Same with Ice. She's struggling with decision making when she catches at the foul line area. It's so obvious. So simplify and let her get the ball closer to the basket and allow Edwards to work the foul line area. Plus, Edwards can actually make that shot consistently and it draws their big out. They just sag off Ice. I like our offense, but I think when certain players are on the floor...we need to just simplify. We're efficient, but the number of possesses is low. Playing quicker or taking shots earlier in the clock is the solution, but hard to do when you're gassed.
100%

Reaction Score
Defense means two things in Storrs.
  1. Getting all the switches and court positioning right and having good body management
  2. Being quick enough strong enough and smart enough to get blocks steals and rebounds.
Q’s problem is only the first, not the second. She makes mistakes in positioning and switches. And she’ll improve in the first soon enough. But she’s already become a sneaky shot blocker (probably from watching Paige) and those long arms get her some surprising rebounds. She has a nose for the ball and is willing to dive into a scrum when needed. Sophomore Q will be in the regular rotation next March.

Reaction Score
The starters need a break during the game and the TOs aren't enough. They had very little left by the 4th Q and it showed in the final score. Don't put Ice and Q out there at the same time, but a few strategically placed minutes from each of them will pay dividends for the starters in crunch time.

Reaction Score
Not if the offense (Q) is untested in these circumstances and comes with a defensive weakness which seems to be the concern by Geno. That is just a situational judgment call but another 3 point shooting threat would be a plus. A couple of minutes means experience also but Geno seems committed to a 6 player rotation at this point. I don't disagree about a few minutes when you are up a lot and I certainly agree that you can't have both Ice and Q on the court at the same time unless there its no choice. The offense is really a 1-4 to start with two high post players but a high-low I agree seems very reasonable and did work at times during the season.

Ice doesn't pump fake, that is the problem and she doesn't go up right away unless she is open, she usually dribbles which gets her into trouble. A lot of that is confidence. I personally think Q has great potential and I would like to see her in there even briefly to get her feet wet but you have to defer to Geno on this. We don't see her in practice. and maybe that is the fly in the ointment.

Reaction Score
Defense means two things in Storrs.
  1. Getting all the switches and court positioning right and having good body management
  2. Being quick enough strong enough and smart enough to get blocks steals and rebounds.
Q’s problem is only the first, not the second. She makes mistakes in positioning and switches. And she’ll improve in the first soon enough. But she’s already become a sneaky shot blocker (probably from watching Paige) and those long arms get her some surprising rebounds. She has a nose for the ball and is willing to dive into a scrum when needed. Sophomore Q will be in the regular rotation next March.
I thoroughly agree with this one caveat. It's not just positioning such as on switches or boxing out. It's the mental defensive game mostly. She loses her man at times by turning her head and watching the ball and gets lost. It's getting better. So next year I think we will see a solid contributor, like you say. She has all the offensive tools, the 3 ball, the pull up, the drive and I saw her at Walsh against Seton Hall make a great move to the hoop off of a fast break pass. Hey, it takes time usually. Even Ash and KK have had their fits and starts, even now. You can't coach athleticism just like you can't coach height. She definitely has the former and the length of the latter.

Reaction Score
Not if the offense (Q) is untested in these circumstances and comes with a defensive weakness which seems to be the concern by Geno. That is just a situational judgment call but another 3 point shooting threat would be a plus. A couple of minutes means experience also but Geno seems committed to a 6 player rotation at this point. I don't disagree about a few minutes when you are up a lot and I certainly agree that you can't have both Ice and Q on the court at the same time unless there its no choice. The offense is really a 1-4 to start with two high post players but a high-low I agree seems very reasonable and did work at times during the season.

Ice doesn't pump fake, that is the problem and she doesn't go up right away unless she is open, she usually dribbles which gets her into trouble. A lot of that is confidence. I personally think Q has great potential and I would like to see her in there even briefly to get her feet wet but you have to defer to Geno on this. We don't see her in practice. and maybe that is the fly in the ointment.
I'm certain Ice will come into her own, but I agree that her confidence is shaken. Not gone, just fragile. Seems afraid to make a mistake. She looked real tentative with posting last night. Not sure it was because she didn't want to draw a foul or it just didn't come natural with her back to the basket. She was always...kind of open, but not all the way open. The guards literally looked her off. She'll get it. She's a good one.

Reaction Score
Q is a defensive liability. She is smooth offensively at times but still a liability, hence no time yesterday. Ice played well yesterday. She did what was expected of her, brief minutes off the bench. Why do people question the decisions Geno makes? They won and move on. He knows and sees more than anyone here.

Reaction Score
I’ll share my observation, Q either lacks lateral coordination or quickness. Hence, she’s prone to getting beat off of the bounce. At times it looks like she’s about to get tangled on her own two feet playing defense. Her offensive game has a really solid foundation. She’s got a nice shot, has shown the ability to score from the midrange, and can be crafty getting to the rim. Understanding and making the right reads, and shot selection will be the area for improvement. It’s a shame she didn’t develop more trust this year. She’s an agile 6 foot wing. That length would come in handy vs this long lanky USC squad.

Reaction Score
I totally agree

Reaction Score
Q is a defensive liability. She is smooth offensively at times but still a liability, hence no time yesterday. Ice played well yesterday. She did what was expected of her, brief minutes off the bench. Why do people question the decisions Geno makes? They won and move on. He knows and sees more than anyone here.
Because it's a DISCUSSION thread and it's no different than discussing what other coaches do. He's a great coach, but, no one is right all the time and there can be more than one way to skin a cat. It's not like he's listening to any of us. lol

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
So that is the plan, put her in against Duke and hope she can score more points than she gives up?
A solid coaching philosophy, if your coach is Paul Westhead (sorry for referencing the men's game).

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
For those on the minutes kick - please give it a rest.

Geno will make the call as to who plays.

Reaction Score
People are saying Q is a defensive liability. Did anyone watch how many times Ice left the middle open giving Duke uncontested layups?
Betcha' we see Q against USC.

Reaction Score
People are saying Q is a defensive liability. Did anyone watch how many times Ice left the middle open giving Duke uncontested layups?
Betcha' we see Q against USC.
Yes, they both are. Q a freshman and Ice basically the same. They were not ready for play against Duke as Nan pointed out.

That’s why they aren’t playing. Ice wouldn’t have either if AE wasn’t in foul trouble. Geno sort of had to.

Reaction Score
I think Q's defense was pretty good last game. I didn't notice many lapses, and she got at least one block and snatched a couple of contested rebounds. And she had a couple of timely double teams on Juju. I wonder if she's beginning to turn the corner on defense.

Also, I've been puzzled by this for awhile: Q was listed as 6'1" in hs, and then 6'0" at UConn, and Juju is listed at 6'2" by USC and was listed at 6'1" in hs. But in the game there were a few times when the camera caught them standing together and Q looked to be exactly the same height as Juju. Either she's bigger than listed or Juju is smaller. And don't worry, I know that camera angles can distort things like relative heights. Does anyone else have any insight into exactly how tall Q really is? I'd even settle for Hartley units.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom