Ekmark moves to #8 per ASGR | The Boneyard

Ekmark moves to #8 per ASGR

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not sure when they changed their rankings for 2013 but Courtney was #9 at the time she verbaled to UCONN. Their current top 10 is a "who's who" of UCONN recruiting targets...

1. A'ja Wilson WF SC
2. Kelsie Mitchell PG OH
3. Brianna Turner PF TX
4. Recee' Caldwell PG TX
5. Jordin Canada PG CA
6. JaTarie White C NC
7. Gabby Green SG CA
8. Courtney Ekmark SG AZ
9. Lajahna Drummer PF CA
10. Shakayla Thomas WF AL

Reaction Score
UCONN is recruiting five players in the top ten for the class of 2014. Getting Courtney Ekmark is a great start for what potentially could be another monster class.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I wonder what schools Kelsie Mitchell has on her list. She's a gamer. I would love to see her in Scarlet. :D

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UCONN is recruiting five players in the top ten for the class of 2014. Getting Courtney Ekmark is a great start for what potentially could be another monster class.
I like Ekmark a lot. I wonder who she ultimately will remind us of. I'm not saying she's going to ever be as good as DT, but shooting-wise and build-wise, she seems similar. I will really look forward to seeing how she develops her last 2 years of HS...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not sure when they changed their rankings for 2013 but Courtney was #9 at the time she verbaled to UCONN. Their current top 10 is a "who's who" of UCONN recruiting targets...

1. A'ja Wilson WF SC
2. Kelsie Mitchell PG OH
3. Brianna Turner PF TX
4. Recee' Caldwell PG TX
5. Jordin Canada PG CA
6. JaTarie White C NC
7. Gabby Green SG CA
8. Courtney Ekmark SG AZ
9. Lajahna Drummer PF CA
10. Shakayla Thomas WF AL

Are you going to watch the kids from California? I'll drive. :D

Plus, Phoenix is not all that far.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately not a great class for centers, which UConn will desperately need. Missing out on Russell may look like a pivotal point.

Is anybody on the horizon at center after Dolson?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Unfortunately not a great class for centers, which UConn will desperately need. Missing out on Russell may look like a pivotal point.

Don't you mean after Stokes?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Maybe, but Stokes will be the starting 5 after Stef graduates. Also, if UCONN lands McCall, she'd presumably be the starting 5 after Kiah graduates. There aren't that many elite 5's who are 6'4" or taller in the country. If you look at the landscape now, there's Griner, Dolson, Bone, Williams, Stokes, Reed, and then maybe Karla Gilbert from 2011's class and earlier. 2012 had Hollivay, Beebe, and Howard. 2013 seems to have Russell, Cooper, and McCall.

My point is in all of WCBB there only seems to be 8-10 "elite" post players in any given year. But teams like Stanford and ND can make the final 4 without a "true" 5 or even anyone over 6'3". aTm won the NC 2 years ago with 6'0" Adams and 6'1" Elonu in the post. If UCONN lands McCall, then we're good for another few years. If not, they have to look at forwards like Wilson and Turner from 2014 to go along with Stewart to play the forward spots but to field a team without a true and real center.

When the TASS force were seniors, there was no true center on the team. Geno's the master at adjusting the style of play to fit the players he has.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Pivot-al! :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maybe, but Stokes will be the starting 5 after Stef graduates. Also, if UCONN lands McCall, she'd presumably be the starting 5 after Kiah graduates. There aren't that many elite 5's who are 6'4" or taller in the country. If you look at the landscape now, there's Griner, Dolson, Bone, Williams, Stokes, Reed, and then maybe Karla Gilbert from 2011's class and earlier. 2012 had Hollivay, Beebe, and Howard. 2013 seems to have Russell, Cooper, and McCall.

My point is in all of WCBB there only seems to be 8-10 "elite" post players in any given year. But teams like Stanford and ND can make the final 4 without a "true" 5 or even anyone over 6'3". aTm won the NC 2 years ago with 6'0" Adams and 6'1" Elonu in the post. If UCONN lands McCall, then we're good for another few years. If not, they have to look at forwards like Wilson and Turner from 2014 to go along with Stewart to play the forward spots but to field a team without a true and real center.

When the TASS force were seniors, there was no true center on the team. Geno's the master at adjusting the style of play to fit the players he has.
When we've had the best center in the country, we've gone undefeated. When we haven't, we've still won national championships and had undefeated seasons. We don't need a 98-rated player very year, but we need strong pieces and hope to a get a 98-rated player every 2 or 3 years. Yes, it's greedy--I know. :D

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Well from everything I have heard, Mitchell is a package deal with her sister!

Reaction Score
Actually, I don't think it matters where she is ranked by the hoop services. Geno ranked her capable of playing for the Huskies and that's sll thst matters.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Actually, I don't think it matters where she is ranked by the hoop services. Geno ranked her capable of playing for the Huskies and that's sll thst matters.
That's nice in theory and a nice sentiment but he "ranked" Johnson and Engeln as being capable of playing for the Huskies as well. I mean that as no slight against those terrific 2 young women, but sometimes players don't turn out as good as the coaches thought/hoped, and sometimes they end up feeling UCONN is not the right place for them.

So in a perfect world, sure all that matters is what Geno thinks. But as we've seen, it's not always that black and white...

Reaction Score
J
That's nice in theory and a nice sentiment but he "ranked" Johnson and Engeln as being capable of playing for the Huskies as well. I mean that as no slight against those terrific 2 young women, but sometimes players don't turn out as good as the coaches thought/hoped, and sometimes they end up feeling UCONN is not the right place for them.

So in a perfect world, sure all that matters is what Geno thinks. But as we've seen, it's not always that black and white...

Johnson was highly ranked and sign before she hurt her knee.

English was ranked 60th. Not your typical trcruit for the Huskies. She didn't play badly when she was in the games. !00% that when she signed Geno was straight with her. Also think Geno was looking to fill out the roster as in Jacque Frenandes.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Johnson was a stud before her knee injuries and we saw flashes of that in what few minutes she did play. I feel her injury was hampering her more than anyone realized. I was able to see her play in high school and being so excites she chose UCONN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom