OT: - Egg Bagel | The Boneyard

OT: Egg Bagel

Reaction Score
When I went to UConn in 61 and when I was stationed at Groton, I was introduced to and enjoyed egg bagels over those years with lox and cream cheese. These were not packaged bagels as they are today, but purchased in bakeries or Jewish Delis. There was a Jewish Deli on Albany Ave in Hartford called Platz's and another on Blue Hills Ave called Manny's. I have not had an egg bakel in many years. ABQ has chain bagelariums like "Epsteins" but I rarely go out that far south. Except for NY City, I would imagine egg bagels are a thing of the paste.

Just a funny story. When I visited Manny's Deli at one time, a fellow came in at lunch time and ordered a corn beef sandwich on white bread. Manny, himself, came around the corner and got right into that man's face and berated him for ordering corned beef on white when it should have been on rye. Manny said, you are going to have on rye whether you like it or not. And, that was how the man got his sandwich.

When I grew up, there was one Jewish Deli in ABQ. The only place you could get rye, or pumpernickel bread and bagels.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When I went to UConn in 61 and when I was stationed at Groton, I was introduced to and enjoyed egg bagels over those years with lox and cream cheese. These were not packaged bagels as they are today, but purchased in bakeries or Jewish Delis. There was a Jewish Deli on Albany Ave in Hartford called Platz's and another on Blue Hills Ave called Manny's. I have not had an egg bakel in many years. ABQ has chain bagelariums like "Epsteins" but I rarely go out that far south. Except for NY City, I would imagine egg bagels are a thing of the paste.

Just a funny story. When I visited Manny's Deli at one time, a fellow came in at lunch time and ordered a corn beef sandwich on white bread. Manny, himself, came around the corner and got right into that man's face and berated him for ordering corned beef on white when it should have been on rye. Manny said, you are going to have on rye whether you like it or not. And, that was how the man got his sandwich.

When I grew up, there was one Jewish Deli in ABQ. The only place you could get rye, or pumpernickel bread and bagels.
While I grew up in CT, I went to college in NYC. There was a nearby Jewish deli called Mama Joy’s that helped foster a lifelong love for hot corned beef on rye with spicy mustard, lox and bagels with cream cheese and other delicacies. Whenever I get back to the Big Apple, a trip to one of the many great deli’s in NYC is always on the itinerary.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
pro tip: seeded rye bread: chavez bakery -the best! chavez purchased the 'family recipe' years ago and, if ur lucky, there might be a loaf left in your local chavez retail outlet. mebbe. buy 2 cuz it freezes astoundingly well. not a bagel person, but after having a 'sourdough' bagel last year in nyc (sf sourdough is the king of bread - my pal's family has been handing generations of progeny a piece of starter on their wedding since the 1860s. those sf folks are wicked serious aboot their bread...), i asked mo of black rock turnpike bagel king, aboot it. he informed me that his base dough is a 'sourdough' recipe.
people everywhere like to think their sourdough is 'as good as sf.' it ain't, cuz it can't be due to the water and climate. stew leonard has a pretty good formula for both sourdough and bagels. i think that they sell egg bagels, cuz i remember a few times when the only ones left in the sack were an egg bagel or that brown, nasty, wheat thing, so in that case i ate the egg one. what a choice - either the tasteless one, or that rude brown mess.
ya ever notice that they never screw around with bialy flavors? cinnamon raisin or nasty brown wheat ones only exist in someone's twisted imagination. what's next, pumpkin infused bagels? oh, the horror.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
If anyone happens to find themselves in Cincinnati, I recommend Marx Hot Bagels. I’ve tried a lot of bagels around the country and my brother lives and NYC, and we both agree that they’re just as good as anything we’ve had in more traditional bagel locales. Their pumpernickel is my gold standard.
E112F75F-D415-4A8D-ACF5-C4CA8FCBC2BA.jpeg

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
When I went to UConn in 61 and when I was stationed at Groton, I was introduced to and enjoyed egg bagels over those years with lox and cream cheese.
Your post brought back some happy memories. I didn't even know they were still in my head. Mrs. SVC's brother-in-law's uncle owned the eponymously named Izzy Cohen's Deli in Pittsburgh. The four of us were welcomed to Uncle Izzy's but we always were shuttled to the back room because we were too boisterous for Izzy's regulars. He challenged us to create a new sandwich for his menu. After several "You actually ate this?," we succeeded. We were a proud lot.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I still find egg bagels here in Brooklyn. I buy a dozen bagels every 12 days, they are to this day my favorite type of bagel. I eat a bagel every day. Usually though when I get to the bagel store they have few egg bagels left so I settle for cinnamon raisin and plain. Some days though I get lucky and it's one egg bagel daily for almost a fortnight.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Your post brought back some happy memories. I didn't even know they were still in my head. Mrs. SVC's brother-in-law's uncle owned the eponymously named Izzy Cohen's Deli in Pittsburgh. The four of us were welcomed to Uncle Izzy's but we always were shuttled to the back room because we were too boisterous for Izzy's regulars. He challenged us to create a new sandwich for his menu. After several "You actually ate this?," we succeeded. We were a proud lot.
'He challenged us to create a new sandwich for his menu. After several "You actually ate this?," we succeeded.'
aaaaaaaaannnnnnnddddddd? ya just can't tease out the possibility for a new sandwich, and then walk away without giving the ingredients. not sporting at all.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
We have egg bagels in our local grocery store (Giant, owned by the same company as Stop & Shop and Hannaford). Their bagels are quire good — firm enough to be difficult to cut through, not like some store’s bagels, which are almost like toroidal bread.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
We have egg bagels in our local grocery store (Giant, owned by the same company as Stop & Shop and Hannaford). Their bagels are quire good — firm enough to be difficult to cut through, not like some store’s bagels, which are almost like toroidal bread.
"toroidal bread" I luv it! Shall we play a game? I'll name a food and you translate it into a mathematical consumable. Physics nomenclature is also acceptable. ;)

Attachments

• 1609293169630.png
    1609293169630.png
    511 bytes · Views: 86

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Oh, man! Bagels! I used to live on 82nd between Amsterdam and Columbus in NYC and H&H Bagels was my go to spot walking home from the subway station at Broadway and 79th (often well oiled and well past midnight!) Open 24 hours a day and you put your hand on the plexi bins to judge which ones were fresh from the ovens. After I moved out of the city any trip to NYC included a stop for my bagel fix. I went back once and they had closed - turns out the owner had underpaid taxes for 10 years and they finally got him on grand larceny. Haven't had as good a bagel since. Nothing like one still hot from the oven, no need for butter cream cheese or lox. There is another H&H that had split off and I haven't actually tried their bagels.

Loved that location because Zabars was right next door.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Lived most of my life in NJ and there were plenty of Bagel shops. Came to Tucson and, not-so-much. It turns out that Bruegger's Bagels, which actually make them on site, are pretty good. But the chain probably has issues, they left the Phoenix area a few years back, we have 3 of them here in Tucson.

I get a baker's dozen about once a week, I call ahead - a mix of poppy, everything, cinnamon raison and pumpernickel (they don't usually have enough poppy if I don't order it).

They tried egg bagels a few years ago and were not successful, but yes, I liked egg bagels back when I was in NJ. Also Bialy's, which are simply not obtainable out here.

Chompie's (Jewish Deli Restaurant small local chain) in Phoenix has all that (and bagels available in Tucson grocery stores), but the bagels are not the kind I'm used to, more bready than I like. What they do have is deli Corned Beef and Pastrami, our basketball friends (that are UConn fans) did a run a while back and brought us some, which I froze (our friend texted me that "no self-respecting Jew would freeze pastrami", I just reminded him I'm not. Tomorrow we are having the last of the Corned Beef and I will be doing a run in a couple weeks. No Jewish delis in Tucson.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
It's Sunday morning and Caesar says to Brutus, "Go down to Mendy's and get me a dozen bagels. My chariot's in the shop so you're going to have to walk."

Brutus buys the dozen bagels but gets hungry on the way back and eats two. When Brutus hands over the bag Caesar sees that there are only 10 bagels and says...

"Et tu, Brute?"

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
'He challenged us to create a new sandwich for his menu. After several "You actually ate this?," we succeeded.'
aaaaaaaaannnnnnnddddddd? ya just can't tease out the possibility for a new sandwich, and then walk away without giving the ingredients. not sporting at all.
Actually I did tease ... inadvertently. I really forgot about our trips to Uncle Izzy's. Veryolddog's post for some reason stimulated my brain. Unfortunately these memories resurfaced without a lot of detail such as the menu-worthy sandwich. I checked with Mrs. SVC but she too could not recall the sandwich's contents. Sorry! If by some miracle the sandwich details are recalled; you will be the first to know! ;)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
"toroidal bread" I luv it! Shall we play a game? I'll name a food and you translate it into a mathematical consumable. Physics nomenclature is also acceptable. ;)
Cake = spongy cylinder
Rolo = Gooey conical frustum

Reaction Score
It's Sunday morning and Caesar says to Brutus, "Go down to Mendy's and get me a dozen bagels. My chariot's in the shop so you're going to have to walk."

Brutus buys the dozen bagels but gets hungry on the way back and eats two. When Brutus hands over the bag Caesar sees that there are only 10 bagels and says...

"Et tu, Brute?"
This isn’t the bad joke thread :p:D

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

"Et tu, Brute?"

That was just soooooo bad. Still grinning.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I saw a comedian many years ago who had a line something like: Twinkie -- the perfect food name. Can you imagine anyone would buy it if it was called "Cream filled sponge rod"?
That sounds like something George Carlin would say. I remember seeing him and he had a section of his show on food when the name was such and such and then he had other names for it that made far less appealing. Then he also had his "7 words that you can't say on T.V., boy he was wrong with that one, because all 7 have been said many a times. Of course times have changed since I saw him in 73.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Come to think of it, it may have been Carlin. It was a long time ago, and I was likely in a condition disadvantageous to retaining memories.

Reaction Score
There is another H&H that had split off and I haven't actually tried their bagels.
That would be my go to bagel spot on 2nd Ave between 80th and 81st Streets before I moved out of the City in 2000. Lived on 81st and 1st Ave. After I retired, I would go there every morning and get a bagel (usu. poppy, sesame or everything) with cream cheese and tomato (the way Patrick Stewart says it) and a cup of joe and if I could get a table, I would do the NYT xword. Great bagels.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Come to think of it, it may have been Carlin. It was a long time ago, and I was likely in a condition disadvantageous to retaining memories.
Do you mean S*** FACED?

Reaction Score
Oh, man! Bagels! I used to live on 82nd between Amsterdam and Columbus in NYC and H&H Bagels was my go to spot walking home from the subway station at Broadway and 79th (often well oiled and well past midnight!) Open 24 hours a day and you put your hand on the plexi bins to judge which ones were fresh from the ovens. After I moved out of the city any trip to NYC included a stop for my bagel fix. I went back once and they had closed - turns out the owner had underpaid taxes for 10 years and they finally got him on grand larceny. Haven't had as good a bagel since. Nothing like one still hot from the oven, no need for butter cream cheese or lox. There is another H&H that had split off and I haven't actually tried their bagels.

Loved that location because Zabars was right next door.
When I lived in NYC there was an H&H right around the corner from my apt. They cooked onions for onion bagels around 7:00 every night. Loved the smell. Saturday nights around midnight we would go there bu6 The NY Times and Sunday morning bagels. Great bagels indeed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom