editor of FSU board on FSU to Big 12 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

editor of FSU board on FSU to Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Mr. Muntz, what you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on the Internet is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

so u watch sandler movies hugh?

Reaction Score
fsu may try to wreck the acc before leaving. just for kicks. hell if i was fsu and i made my mind up that the acc screwed us and were going to move, wouldn't u kick some stuff over on the way out?

Now exactly why would any rational Athletic Department/University want to do something like that? FSU leaves the ACC, OK, fine. Nothing is forever and what if life in the Big 12 ain't as grand as they hoped. Might they want to leave open the possibility of a return to the ACC? Might they want to stay on good terms with ACC schools for scheduling OOC games? Might the University administrators want to stay on good terms with their colleagues at ACC schools to facilitate continued academic cooperation?

No, of course not. To the misguided this whole conference re-alignment thing is like an internet game and no one cares about anything except the dollar.

Reaction Score
What exactly does the Big East have to offer any ACC school? They cannot offer more money. They cannot offer more stability. They cannot offer better geography. They cannot offer guaranteed Bowl tie-ins (even the ACC has the Orange Bowl). They cannot offer better academics. Why exactly would anyone leave the ACC for the Big East?

BINGO!!!!

We have a winner

Reaction Score
The BE still has nothing to offer any ACC schools at this point. In order for any ACC schools to end up in the BE it would have to be down to the last 2 standing like the WAC. However, the B!G, SEC, and Big 12 all have plenty to offer current ACC members and if the 3 of them decide now is the time to get to 16 apiece obviously it would be at the ACC's expense.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Now exactly why would any rational Athletic Department/University want to do something like that? FSU leaves the ACC, OK, fine. Nothing is forever and what if life in the Big 12 ain't as grand as they hoped. Might they want to leave open the possibility of a return to the ACC? Might they want to stay on good terms with ACC schools for scheduling OOC games? Might the University administrators want to stay on good terms with their colleagues at ACC schools to facilitate continued academic cooperation?

No, of course not. To the misguided this whole conference re-alignment thing is like an internet game and no one cares about anything except the dollar.

the acc screwed with fsu, its returning the favor. what ooc game are you thinking of? if fsu goes to the b12, the only schools they care about in the acc are going with them or to the sec eventually. so no, they don't need to be nice to the acc. they will never return to a league of duke/wake/bc....fsu schedule wise will be 8 or 9 b12 games, a ooc with florida, a 2nd ooc with usf/ucf or another sec school and a fcs warmup every year. good terms are for relationships where people dont f with each other. the acc started it, why should fsu be the nice guy now?

Reaction Score
That's kind of contradictory isn't it? What's more important: brand image or dollars? FSU's president is saying they want to stay with ACC for academic principles. Is he saying, "Wellllllll, we're staying for academic reasons but if you throw a few more M/year in the pot we'll go"? I don't think so, or, if that was the case it would be disappointing. And yes 75M over 15 years isn't peanuts but how much in other monies is genrated within that same 15 years? I think the academic portion of FSU is making a stand. I'm curious to see how it plays out
my bank doesn't take 'brand image'... They require that my deposits are $'s.
I'm not saying Brand image isn't worth anything, but it doesn't pay the bills or directly add to the endowment. Clearly, the Big12 has a differenct calculation for valuing their branding as they willingly accepted WVU whereas the ACC wouldn't touch them even though they would bring more $'s than Pitt or Syr.
Don't forget, this is only the TV revenue... Isn't there the BCS monies as well? If you're not in the right conference, you get nothing of that money.
I'm sorry, but I work for a $100B company which I'm guessing is bigger than some of these universities. And if we're given a $10-$20M guaranteed revenue stream with no incremental cash layout, we'll take it every time.

Reaction Score
The BE still has nothing to offer any ACC schools at this point. In order for any ACC schools to end up in the BE it would have to be down to the last 2 standing like the WAC. However, the B!G, SEC, and Big 12 all have plenty to offer current ACC members and if the 3 of them decide now is the time to get to 16 apiece obviously it would be at the ACC's expense.
Nothing to offer? How about a money? If the Big East could get $17M per school and allow them to keep their 3rd tier TV rights, that's a big chunk of change to some schools.
No other conference has an open window to take their TV rights to the open market which by the way is a sellers market.

Reaction Score
Nothing to offer? How about a money? If the Big East could get $17M per school and allow them to keep their 3rd tier TV rights, that's a big chunk of change to some schools.
No other conference has an open window to take their TV rights to the open market which by the way is a sellers market.

That's is true. I said nothing to offer right now. The new deal has not been signed. I think it's highly unlikely that the BE could lure any ACC schools right now. If the ACC starts losing chunks as we approach our new contract negotiations in the fall, that could change.

In other news, ESPN has now noticed and states the buzz is building. They even acknowledge that the Big 12 deal is likely to be better than the ACC's.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/colleges/post/_/id/4678127/florida-state-to-big-12-buzz-builds

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
my bank doesn't take 'brand image'... They require that my deposits are $'s.
I'm not saying Brand image isn't worth anything, but it doesn't pay the bills or directly add to the endowment. Clearly, the Big12 has a differenct calculation for valuing their branding as they willingly accepted WVU whereas the ACC wouldn't touch them even though they would bring more $'s than Pitt or Syr.
Don't forget, this is only the TV revenue... Isn't there the BCS monies as well? If you're not in the right conference, you get nothing of that money.
I'm sorry, but I work for a $100B company which I'm guessing is bigger than some of these universities. And if we're given a $10-$20M guaranteed revenue stream with no incremental cash layout, we'll take it every time.

Right and you work for a business rather than a not for profit institution of higher learning. And again, you make my point: if it was just about money the ACC would have taken WVU. They didn't. It's the same reason that the FSU president is against moving to the Big12: being associated with the ACC institutions is more important than some additional $ and being associated with the Big12 institutions.

Reaction Score

Is that $17 million based on personal opinion or any actual fact? Even hard core insiders seem to be estimating a New Big East contract at somewhere around $10-12 million per school. But even assuming you are right, any contract will have typical escalator clauses. So even if the Big east signed a deal worth $17 million per year on average, it will be lower than that from the get go.

And that Tier 3 myth has been debunked time and time again.

It seems the best you are offering is that the Big East might, in an abolute dream scenario, get a contract that's reasonably comparable to the ACC and might actually net a school up to $1 million dollars more. That is if they toss away all their history, join a conference every other school has fled, downgrade their academics and liekly increase travel costs. Who again is signing up for that?

Reaction Score
We will have absolutely no idea if it will be good or bad. Good would be one of three or so scenarios - the B1G goes east and includes UConn, the ACC makes a last-second push for ND and brings UConn along before anyone leaves for 16, the B12 takes only 2 and UConn/RU are added to the ACC. After that, things get dicey. If the SEC or B1G poach the ACC after the B12 takes a few, we might be looking at 4 superconferences, which would leave us likely in the ACC but still on the outside looking in. What makes this all especially entertaining is the impact of GoR. Do the conferences feel that GoR are ironclad enough that they need to jump on a school they're interested in who is likely to leave for another conference and sign their rights over? Would the SEC finally say "we don't want B12 in Florida" and pony up an invite to FSU at the last minute? It could get crazy.

I think that's what Fla State is really pushing for by coming out and saying "we'll have to look at the Big 12" - for a difference of $2-3M a year? That doesn't make any sense, when you factor in travel costs.

Are Football Tier 3 rights so great for any individual team that doesn't have a national following ? This isn't Notre Dame or Texas we're talking about. How much do you make off a local TV contract for your in-state cable systems? It can't be that much money. Florida State used to be a national brand under Bobby Bowden, but I don't see them that way now, much like Miami.

I think that Florida State wants badly to get into the SEC, and they see playing the Big 12 card as their chance.

Reaction Score
OK, so ignoring the 15 million posts complaining about everything the BE hasn't done since 2003, and the other 15 million posts complaining about how marinatto just 'sat tight' and wasn't proactive, of which I'm sure you've contributed, the best scenario for the BE is to sit tight? I don't agree.
We have a golden ticket in being the last conference to negotiate. The Big12 just did it, and they are now 'rumored' to be hunting ACC schools. If the BE isn't a player in this, then they should be. Maybe ESPN wouldn't bite on that because they would still have to swollow an ACC contract that is worthless, but Fox or NBC would certainly pay for that lineup... And what if it were FSU, ND, and VT to join? That would get big boy $'s... On the flip side, it may be enough to get espn to realize that option is out there in which case they may decide to play with the BE.
the difference between Larry Scott and Marinatto is that both might see this opportunity. Larry Scott would leverage it. Marinatto would let it slip by.
let's see what the new leadership does with it.

We don't have a golden ticket because we're carrying too much baggage. FSU isn't happy with Wake and BC -- you think they're racing over to partner with SMU, Houston, Memphis and Temple?

Reaction Score
@dennisdoddcbs: FSU news ... http://post original url/iFjYZMDG

Posted: 11:22 pm May 12, 2012

FSU says "misinformation" spread about ACC contract
By Dennis Dodd | Senior College Football Columnist

Florida State's president reacted late Saturday saying "misinformation" was spread about ACC Contract:

"Florida State University regrets that misinformation about the provisions of the ACC contract has unnecessarily renewed the controversy and speculation about University's athletic conference alignment. Florida State respects the views of the Chair of its Board of Trustees that, of course, any university would examine options that would impact university academics, athletics or finances. At the same time, Florida State is not seeking an alternative to the ACC nor are we considering alternatives. Our current commitments remain strong."

Wow. Shot that down quickly. Congrats to the guy who said the outgoing Chair of the BoT wanted to vent as his final act.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Wow. Shot that down quickly. Congrats to the guy who said the outgoing Chair of the BoT wanted to vent as his final act.

You realize that by posting things that are not true, you can't change the outcome, right? FSU is gone, and they are going to take 1-3 friends with them, including, it appears, Pitt. They ACC is coming apart.

Now we have to see who else jumps off the H.M.S. TitanACC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Mr. Muntz, what you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on the Internet is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

You keep selling the ACC is puppies and unicorns fantasy. Let me know where it gets you.

Reaction Score
So if they take Pitt, do they owe us and the ACC an exit fee? That is going to ne real expensive for them.

Reaction Score
FSU is gone, and they are going to take 1-3 friends with them, including, it appears, Pitt. They ACC is coming apart.

You realize that by posting things that are not true, you can't change the outcome, right?

Reaction Score
You keep selling the ACC is puppies and unicorns fantasy. Let me know where it gets you.

Humor me. Can you name me one example of this? I simply post projected earnings of each conference next school year and you troll away like a ...

Reaction Score

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Humor me. Can you name me one example of this? I simply post projected earnings of each conference next school year and you troll away like a ...

FSU disagrees with your assessment of the value of their contract. Maybe you should give them a call.

Reaction Score
FSU disagrees with your assessment of the value of their contract. Maybe you should give them a call.

What was inaccurate about what I posted? I did not realize FSU had a contract. I know the ACC does. I posted the numbers about it. ACC schools were projected to make a little over $10.5 million per year next year prior to renegotiation. I don't know anyone that has the exact figures, but reasonable estimates push that number over $12 million.

So I ask a second time. Can you name me one example of me selling the "ACC is puppies and unicorns fantasy"? Is posting actual truthful and relevant information so frowned upon by you?

Reaction Score
If FSU and Clemson leave, every schools is going to try to get out. Several are already trying.

I think the TV contract was so far below market because ESPN and the ACC knew they were losing schools.

I have to say, I didn't believe you just a couple days ago, but seeing how that TV contract really pays out shows that the ACC bent over for ESPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom