Edey played all 40 minutes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edey played all 40 minutes

Reaction Score
Edey will probaby have a double/double in this game and Purdue will still lose by double digits. Our guards and depth is night and day better then Purdue's. Who on Purdue is going to guard Castle?

Reaction Score
Johnson is the key in this game. He needs to step up to give Clingan much needed break, and play fundamentally sound defense, arms straight up like a tree. He is too foul prone.

Reaction Score
We shot 10/25 (40%). We don't really need to shoot better than that, just perhaps more evenly spread out those 10 makes over the course of the game.
I mean, two of those makes were in quasi-garbage-time (Spencer's in actual garbage time), but even 35% shooting should be good enough to neutralize Edey when we're not running.

Reaction Score
Right. If Clingan gets tired, he becomes foul-prone.

32 minutes should be fine. Allows us to keep running Edey up and down the court.
Absolutely. Just look at the size of Edey's legs. It's biomechanics and lactic threshold. The kid is unbelievable, but he's human and will reach his own personal lactate breakpoint when our two acrobats in the front court rim run. If he doesn't sit, cool stay in the game gassed giving up bucket after bucket trailing on the break or being attacked in drop coverage.

Reaction Score
Clingans minutes are the key to the game. If he hits 30 we win, if he doesn’t we lose.

Reaction Score
Samson needs to run him into the ground when out there. Yes, Edey can give Sam problems, but it’s a two way street. Samson needs to attack the rim. His offense may be more important than his D.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Watching Edey yesterday, he camps down low, backs in and uses his hook shot. Force him to set up higher in the lane. This changes his game. He will need to fight more for the position he wants. Takes him out of his rhythm. Hurley's normal rotation of Clingan and Samson should work. Edey also is not quick a foot. Force him on defense to chase Donovan and Samson.

Our offense with continual movement, scxreens and backdoor cuts will give Purdue fits. Our guards, Newton and Castle, are bigger and stronger and faster. Very difficult assignment for Purdue's guards. Then they have to deal with Spencer & Disarra.

Reaction Score
Watching Edey yesterday, he camps down low, backs in and uses his hook shot. Force him to set up higher in the lane. This changes his game. He will need to fight more for the position he wants. Takes him out of his rhythm. Hurley's normal rotation of Clingan and Samson should work. Edey also is not quick a foot. Force him on defense to chase Donovan and Samson.

Our offense with continual movement, scxreens and backdoor cuts will give Purdue fits. Our guards, Newton and Castle, are bigger and stronger and faster. Very difficult assignment for Purdue's guards. Then they have to deal with Spencer & Disarra.
You're spot on all 3 points, but I don't think even Clingan can stop Edey from gaining position, let alone Samson. The same leverage issue Clingan has with backing down his defender in the low post will be his Bain when trying to "front" Edey from backing down.

I think Edey's positioning is inevitable, and I'm excited to see if Clingan can block over him without fouling.

Reaction Score
You're spot on all 3 points, but I don't think even Clingan can stop Edey from gaining position, let alone Samson. The same leverage issue Clingan has with backing down his defender in the low post will be his Bain when trying to "front" Edey from backing down.

I think Edey's positioning is inevitable, and I'm excited to see if Clingan can block over him without fouling.

Except Clingan doesn’t need to stop Edey from gaining position. He just needs to use his 280 lb frame to make Edey earn that position.

Reaction Score
Edy will play 50 minutes in his last collegiate game with a title on the line, if he has to. Its apparent that he won't get tired. Quite impressive, his conservation of energy.

Just saying 'tiring him out' strategy won't work (as a primary).
tire him out applies to mental as well as physical
he/they will be feeling both types of pessure in second half

Reaction Score
Ideally I'd like to see Clingan play Edey 1 on 1 for 25 minutes with limited help and Johnson for 15 with quick doubles as long as they aren't hitting high percentage 3's. When we have opportunity with ball we need to make Edey run the floor.

Reaction Score

Can Clingan pick his spot and be camped when Edey arrives, forcing Edey to push him out of the way? 2 extra feet further away from basket will help.

When will Coach Hurley be expecting the Boneyard consensus gameplan to arrive??

Reaction Score
Can Clingan pick his spot and be camped when Edey arrives, forcing Edey to push him out of the way? 2 extra feet further away from basket will help.

When will Coach Hurley be expecting the Boneyard consensus gameplan to arrive??
None of that makes sense. Nothing Hurley puts on paper will help Clingan keep Edey off the Block, and Edey is effective 2-3 feet off the Block in every direction. Best to concede position when required to avoid fouling, and try to redirect Edey over the top. Now if you think Hurley will send Cam, Newton and Karaban into swat at at Edey, sure, it worked to an extent for N.C. State, and all 3 players have shown an aptitude for doing it against the Creighton kid.

Reaction Score
None of that makes sense. Nothing Hurley puts on paper will help Clingan keep Edey off the Block, and Edey is effective 2-3 feet off the Block in every direction. Best to concede position when required to avoid fouling, and try to redirect Edey over the top. Now if you think Hurley will send Cam, Newton and Karaban into swat at at Edey, sure, it worked to an extent for N.C. State, and all 3 players have shown an aptitude for doing it against the Creighton kid.

It’s not about keeping Edey off the block. It’s about making Edey work to get there. The subject of the OP’s topic is “Edey played all 40 minutes.”

The goal is to wear him down, not put up barricades.

Reaction Score
Edey isn't Superman. There have been plenty of games that he has tired and had to sit for extended periods. The issue is teams do not make him run. They barely try to play him at all. He lumbers down the court then sets up in the paint. There are many games this year when he has played less that 27 minutes he has played as low as 20. Also, plenty of teams have held him under 20 none of them are as good as we are. depending on the refs we should be fine. We of course know you are not allowed to breath near him. But also the refs have been warned plenty about his tendency to stay in the lane more than 3 second which is why yesterday he was pretty good about it but also was camped further out and was constantly stripped by the guards doubling him

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
It’s not about keeping Edey off the block. It’s about making Edey work to get there. The subject of the OP’s topic is “Edey played all 40 minutes.”

The goal is to wear him down, not put up barricades.
Yes grab rebounds and push the pace forcing Edey to run back on defense and if nothing just reset in half court. Do not let him jog back on defense.

Reaction Score
Castle is going to have a monster night, no one on Purdue will be able to guard him.

Reaction Score
Getting him in foul trouble and/or fast pace in transition

Have you ever watched a single Purdue game? Is this some kind of joke? UConn players will be the ones who get into foul trouble after Edey throws them on the ground almost every single possession, and UConn will get called for the foul.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I was focusing on Edey and half the time he looked gassed. He is slow to move or he just does not move on defense and he only has one offensive move. I’m not impressed.

Reaction Score
If Clingan is beating Alabama down the floor for 2-3 fast breaks, Edey is gonna be in for a rude awakening. This will most likely be the first time we’ve really seen the boys play fast purposely for most of the game. The back door flares and cuts will not be available in mass against Purdue.

Also, calling it now…we might see an early T from Hurley to set the tone if we see one or two missed calls from the zebras. Hurleys smart, and will be game planing the refs too.

Reaction Score
Nice write up by Finkelstein.
Talks about why Donovan is a better pro prospect than Edey with a much higher upside and offers many compliments on his all-around game and how it translates to the NBA game.
Also, this is the first championship game between opposing 7’-2” + centers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom