Ed Daigneault on WTIC Sportstalk | The Boneyard

Ed Daigneault on WTIC Sportstalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Joe D. just announced him as his guest at 6:30 talking all things UConn football & Men's hoops.

Reaction Score
I was going to listen but chose to have a root canal and then a colonoscopy. Could you record it for me?

Reaction Score
Another one in the Ed D and Des canoe... Joe D just said that talk of changing coaches now is premature and useless.

Reaction Score
It is premature and useless until we get to the end of the season. Because it's not going to happen and it doesn't help the players play better or the staff coach better.

Just sayin.

Reaction Score
u can say it a million times over BL but some people still can't comprehend that fact

Reaction Score
It is premature and useless until we get to the end of the season. Because it's not going to happen and it doesn't help the players play better or the team coach better.

Just sayin.

BL - I agree. I think theses guys are getting tired of getting whacked around for not jumping on the FIRE PP/GDL today bandwagon. They are (in my opinion) beginning to circe the wagon or at least educate folks on thier perspective.

Kevin Duffy who covers UConn MBB for the CT Post had a couple of interesting tweets today after a go around w/ DC, JS, ED, Uconnblog:

KevinRDuffy 2:14pm via web
@theuconnblog @JohnFSilver @desmondconner I see the frustration because it's not the beat writer's job to call for a head coach to be fired.

KevinRDuffy 2:14pm via web
@theuconnblog @JohnFSilver @desmondconner But if a columnist/blogger wants to do so, that's perfectly fine

KevinRDuffy 2:55pm via web
Good #UConn football talk today. Fans must realize: @theuconnblog provides analysis, a fan perspective and hilarious tweets

KevinRDuffy 2:56pm via web
.@desmondconner breaks news on the team. You can't expect the same stuff from both. Gotta appreciate what they're each bringing to the table

Reaction Score
It's "premature and useless" because these guys don't like asking tough questions and having to extend themselves beyond asking the usual boilerplate stuff from week to week. These guys are spoiled; UConn hasn't fired a hoop coach since 86 and a football coach since 1993. They ought to take a lesson from the Auburn and Cal beat reporters.

It's not "premature and useless" during the bye week to ask if GDL will continue to call plays or if Foley will go back to coaching the oline.

By the way Horde PP is now No. 20 on the Coaches Hot Seat rankings.

Reaction Score
I agree its not going to happen but I disagree with your point. The team just played a nationally televised game in a must-win situation for a chance at a bowl against the team that their coach used to lead. They have to know that the fans and alumni are not happy with said coach and his staff. If they really believed in this program and this staff, they would have gone out and played their hearts out. Instead they quit sometime in the middle of the first quarter. getting rid of the staff now sends a reminder to the players that their scholarships are not guaranteed, especially with a new staff coming. some kids will quit and others will play harder to prove they belong

Reaction Score
I agree its not going to happen but I disagree with your point. The team just played a nationally televised game in a must-win situation for a chance at a bowl against the team that their coach used to lead. They have to know that the fans and alumni are not happy with said coach and his staff. If they really believed in this program and this staff, they would have gone out and played their hearts out. Instead they quit sometime in the middle of the first quarter. getting rid of the staff now sends a reminder to the players that their scholarships are not guaranteed, especially with a new staff coming. some kids will quit and others will play harder to prove they belong

If you're talking to me, Kevin, I think you misunderstood what I said. I am not taking a position on whether we would or would not be better this year by changing coaches. My point was that every fan talking about firing the staff now, in the middle of the season, without it producing any change, is not going to help the players play better.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
First, the thought that we might fire a coach to remind players that their scholarships are not guaranteed is distasteful. I'd rather lose, thank you.

I would be fine with P being dismissed on the merits - even during the season. He did not 'inherit a train wreck', he inherited a train. It wasn't a bullet train or even one of those Acela trains, but it was a train and it was on the rails. He's the one who put it in reverse and backed over the busload of orphans before ending up in a smoking upside-down tangle.

Since it's clear that it's not going to happen in season, I'm not going to harp on it. And I don't care whether the beat writers or columnists weigh in it - it might make lunatics like Dan happy, but they have as much influence over the situation as the desk currently holding up my computer has.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I am fully aware of how unlikely it is for PP to get fired before the season is officially over (in fact, considering the proximity of the end of the season to the date where the buyout is reduced, I don't see it happening until at least a month after the season ends). This does not mean that I should refrain from voicing my frustration and venting a little anger on a message board.

Additionally, I understand fully that a beat writer would be making his job quite difficult if he begins speaking of a coach getting fired. If however one of these beat writers states that the head coach (who is quickly running this program into the ground) inherited a train wreck, I have the right to voice my displeasure, and a dissenting opinion on this board.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah by all means don't expect a beat writer to call for blood - but if you are willing to say he inherited a train wreck you are making the same type of statement - it just happens to condemn someone you don't need to talk to any longer.

Reaction Score
Yeah by all means don't expect a beat writer to call for blood - but if you are willing to say he inherited a train wreck you are making the same type of statement - it just happens to condemn someone you don't need to talk to any longer.
Yep, struggle with Dez calling out the level of players but not the basic missteps of coaching. Do both or neither, especially if everyone including Desmond knows its a mix of the 2. If I were the players I wouldn't say a word to him after that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

100% right.

The "I can't express an opinion" defense goes out the window after you've expressed an opinion.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think people who are angry should focus their anger on the person they should be angriest at: the head coach.

/$0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01