Ed Cooley to Georgetown | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Ed Cooley to Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think a lot of that is true, but I think more than any port in a storm. He probably just also has high esteem for Georgetown. Cooley was 15 when they won the title. Then he was mentored by Big John. I imagine he feels a certain way about what the Head Coach of Georgetown means for the African American community as well, and sees it as a place for him to be a leader of more than just the players of Providence. You can tell by the way he talks up the Big East that 1) he loves the conference and 2) He wants to be the face of it.
This part is probably the reason it was the only job he’d take outside of Providence. The DC area would be more likely to be supportive of him if he did decided to lead in other ways not related to basketball. It’s a very short list of coaches who could’ve coached at GTown and I’m happy they found a great match in Cooley.

PWS

Reaction Score
Hard to see why Cooley would go to Georgetown, seemingly a lateral move, unless Georgetown is offering a better NIL situation. Which they very well may, they are certainly richer and have a bigger donor base than PC.

If Cooley can recruit better with NIL support, you have to think he can bring Georgetown into the top tier of the Big East. Would be fun.
Contrary to what our PC friends think, GT is a better job. They have way more money to spend than PC, & they have finally been released from the chains of JT. Plus, they are in the middle of a great recruiting area. GT still has a name in the DMV. It has faded somewhat, but still resonate.

Reaction Score
John Thompson and even his son are gone forever. So are the glory days of Georgetown unless you want to be a lawyer or swamp creature. Providence should move their campus to Newport and re-label themselves as "the Commodores" in honor of Cornelius Vanderbilt and his mansion in Newport called "The Breakers."
Not a bad idea but Newport already has the Seahawks

Capture.JPG

Reaction Score
He probably just also has high esteem for Georgetown. Cooley was 15 when they won the title. Then he was mentored by Big John. I imagine he feels a certain way about what the Head Coach of Georgetown means for the African American community as well, and sees it as a place for him to be a leader of more than just the players of Providence.
That's nice and all but it was nearly 40 years ago, clinging to that past has destroyed the program. Maybe it's time for them to stop trying to recapture it and move on.

Retro is cool but I don't think Ed Cooley is bringing back the Georgetown Starter jacket for black youth all around America.

Reaction Score
One coaching pundit’s take:

Kim English definitely fits that mold. Has recruited well at George Mason and they had a solid 20-13 season in his second year at the helm.

I don’t follow coaching hires too closely but I feel like Kimani would wait for a better opportunity than Iona. I wouldn’t be happy about it but that would be a good hire for Providence. They’ll probably want head coach experience

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Definitely the trajectory of your season coinciding with gtown discussions is a horrible look for him, but the rest is just what the coaching game is. He was trying to build a brand he could sell to kids while he was there and it somewhat worked, but he found what he thinks is a materially better opportunity for whatever reasons, so he took it.

Reaction Score
I don’t follow coaching hires too closely but I feel like Kimani would wait for a better opportunity than Iona. I wouldn’t be happy about it but that would be a good hire for Providence. They’ll probably want head coach experience
It's a lower conference, but has a good recent tradition and support and likely some good left-behind players. You gotta win to move up. A lot easier to take on a winning program and keep it winning than build it from scratch. It's a stepping stone.

Reaction Score
I feel like it's as good of a coaching job as he can expect for a first job. Solid low major program, right in his recruiting footprint. He might end up waiting, but not sure if it'll end up being a better opportunity

Reaction Score

Check out this Cooley interview with Clark Kellogg about his child hood in Providence and shows the land he grew up at and his adopted parents. It can’t be easy to just walk away from your hometown.

With that being said, Providence should give the FDU coach a look. He has won at every level.

Wow- I almost forgot about this. When Georgetown visits, they definitely need to troll him with clips from this on the Jumbotron LOL

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Definitely the trajectory of your season coinciding with gtown discussions is a horrible look for him, but the rest is just what the coaching game is. He was trying to build a brand he could sell to kids while he was there and it somewhat worked, but he found what he thinks is a materially better opportunity for whatever reasons, so he took it.
It's lousy for PC and the way things are playing out but if PC was resistant to working with the NIL then they bear some responsibility for his leaving. Perhaps they felt they didn't need to do anything because they mistakenly believed Cooley would never leave. But not having a decent NIL will kill any program and a coach along with it.

So Cooley's leaving may overcome the schools inertia. In the long run it could help their bb program. At the very least he chose not to sink with the ship. And making more money with more potential to make a name for himself is not a bad choice either.

I have spoken because this is the way!

Reaction Score
Don’t think you should be so butthurt. There are employees all over the country who give their all to a job when they have it, but when they are offered a better one go. That’s not only their right — it’s perfectly fair and rational.

I don’t doubt that Cooley talking to Georgetown hurt Providence down the stretch, but whose fault is that? If Cooley truly wasn’t giving his all, it’s his. If he was, while he made a decision that he’d prefer G’Town and his agent was on it, but his players slacked off because of the rumors, that’s on the players.

Reaction Score
This is a great move for both Georgetown and Cooley. Hope he makes them a powerhouse again and hope Pitino does the same for St John’s.

Having those 2 as our conference leaders would be so much better with their markets over teams like Xavier and Marquette.

Cooley is going to kill it over there with all the resources available. It’s probably the most attractive school in conference to recruit at outside of our own.
UConn will be the conference leader.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, stopped by the Friar board. In a matter of hours, Cooley has morphed from being Mother Teresa to Osama bin Ladan. It’s glorious. And absolutely Syracusian meltdown.

Reaction Score
UConn will be the conference leader.
I don't get the Georgetown love. They were more a coach (John Thompson) than a program. They faded as a national brand and did little after he left. They are a clear second to Maryland in their own market. They haven't come close to filling the Verizon Center in decades and that is unlikely to change very soon. And he will have to compete with other national programs have deep recruiting ties to the area.

Cooley can probably have the same amount of success at Georgetown as he had in Rhode Island. That would be an improvement. But the idea he makes them a national player is iffy at best.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Lol, stopped by the Friar board. In a matter of hours, Cooley has morphed from being Mother Teresa to Osama bin Ladan. It’s glorious. And absolutely Syracusian meltdown.
Don't do this. It's bad mojo!

I have spoken!

Reaction Score

He has no head coaching experience at all. Not even high school. Iona is a perfect opportunity for him if they would be willing to hire him. Considering they've been successful under Pitino, it's possible they may want a proven head coach again.

Reaction Score
Maybe but I plan on being enormously entertained by it.
I live in Boston, which is closer to PC than UConn. I went to the first PC game when they played UConn this year. If Cooley goes to GTown, I will go to 2 games at PC, the UConn game and the GTown game:). The atmosphere will be off the charts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom