Ed Cooley to Georgetown | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ed Cooley to Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I didn’t know much about Copley’s background prior to this. Wow. Impressive guy. Either way he wins. Goes to Gtown for another challenge or gets what we wants from Providence admin. Kudos

Reaction Score
Wild day for the Big East.

Providence should give the Kennesaw State coach consideration. He was impressive today even with the loss. Seemed highly intelligent when he was interviewed.

Now if they could get Billy Donovan to come home that would be something.
:)

Reaction Score
Cooley has been lauded as this great coach but I don’t see it. His high water mark was last year winning 2 tourney games but going down to Kansas. Before that it’s pretty pedestrian and look at this year, his team got worse as the season went on. They beat us in the first game with a bullying back down style layups and getting the refs to give them an insane number of foul shots. Unimaginative offense but it’s all they can do. GT can have him, he will probably be better than Patrick but would we want him? Hell no.
They are hiring a guy who himself said “I should be fired” at Louisville. Does St. John’s care? Nope. Pitino gets to play his home campus games in a high school gym. He’ll recruit, he always does, and they’ll be competitive until his next scandal which btw is just around the corner.
He took over a bottom feeder, Providence was basically Depaul 10 years ago and now has them as a tournament team pretty much every year.

Reaction Score
Bobby Hurley to PC is not exactly an unrealistic proposition.
Good fit but I’d hate to see the Hurley brothers battle 2-3 times a year. Also, probably not an upgrade from an AZ State job.

Reaction Score
Hard to see why Cooley would go to Georgetown, seemingly a lateral move, unless Georgetown is offering a better NIL situation. Which they very well may, they are certainly richer and have a bigger donor base than PC.

If Cooley can recruit better with NIL support, you have to think he can bring Georgetown into the top tier of the Big East. Would be fun.
The lights are much brighter in DC.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
given how much pc fans hate our Hurley, it would be the chefs kiss to have them get one on their sidelines

Reaction Score
If Kevin McNamara is saying he’s gone, he’s gone.
He’s gone. All the signs are there. Once it’s set Pitino goes to St Johns. Now hearing Cooley’s wife wants out of RI as well. His daughter may settle in the DC area after graduating from Georgetown.

Reaction Score
Legitimate options I’d look at if I were PC

Jared Grasso
John Becker
John Linehan
Tobin Anderson
Mitch Henderson
Always been impressed by Becker, even yesterday his team has a plan and executes…surprised he hasn’t gotten more looks

Reaction Score
I believe I have read articles in the past where the Hurleys have stated that they would avoid coaching in the same conference
Would hate to see them play 2-3 times per year. Syracuse would have been the place!! BC, Pitt & Penn State would work “if” there were openings. He’s a Northeast guy.

Reaction Score
If you are a providence fan you have to still be grateful to Cooley for elevating the program, 7 tourney appearances, you would have to go back like 35 years to get that many I believe. I say this as their fanbase seems to be trashing him now which makes no sense. I think I saw someone earlier on the board compare it to the edsall situation which I think actually makes sense. Now Cooley if he leaves will do it with alot more class than edsall did so not a direct comparison

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Hard to see why Cooley would go to Georgetown, seemingly a lateral move, unless Georgetown is offering a better NIL situation. Which they very well may, they are certainly richer and have a bigger donor base than PC.

If Cooley can recruit better with NIL support, you have to think he can bring Georgetown into the top tier of the Big East. Would be fun.
Heard he asked for (and was guaranteed) $3 million per year in NIL money at Georgetown…

Reaction Score
I know it isn't going to happen...but could you imagine the insanity of the Big East if Providence hired Kevin Ollie?!

Ollie at Providence
Cooley at Georgetown
Pitino at St Johns

...add all that to the current coaching lineup of the BE with Hurley, Smart, Miller, Holloway, Matta McDermott, etc

That would be completely crazy with the characters and history of all involved. Hell, the Big East could probably make more money off of a Netfilx reality series following all the teams/coaches around in a documentary than they do off their actual media rights deal! :D
Doubt Coach Ollie will be going anywhere soon. The people he works for have loads of money and have no problem spending it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Makes zero sense unless its a payday for Cooley. Moving from one small Catholic school to another in the same conference is a huge middle finger to the PC program that finally reached respectability.

Cooley must think his PC tenure has topped out with UConn once again the head and shoulders best program north of Philly. Credit to Hurley for that.

Gtown is a moribund program though credit to them for finally ending the John Thompson legacy straight jacket.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
John Thompson and even his son are gone forever. So are the glory days of Georgetown Providence should move their campus to Newport and re-label themselves as "the Commodores" in honor of Cornelius Vanderbilt and his mansion in Newport called "The Breakers."

Last edited by a moderator:

PWS

Reaction Score
Recruiting wise maybe not
In the beginning, Patrick recruited well at GT. His problem was 4 or 5 of them would transfer out after year one. After several cycles of this, the recruiting dropped off & they went completely off the rails picking up transfer problems to fill in the gaps.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This is a great move for both Georgetown and Cooley. Hope he makes them a powerhouse again and hope Pitino does the same for St John’s.

Having those 2 as our conference leaders would be so much better with their markets over teams like Xavier and Marquette.

Cooley is going to kill it over there with all the resources available. It’s probably the most attractive school in conference to recruit at outside of our own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom