ECU Basketball Coaching Search | The Boneyard

ECU Basketball Coaching Search

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Unconfirmed obviously but thoughts if it were to happen? Joe Dooley has been mentioned as a guy looking at the gig (again)

Reaction Score
I'm sure he's a good coach, but this is lame from ECU. When you hire a search firm to help you find a coach, don't hire the director of the search firm's son, especially when he's one year out of coaching div. III Lenoir-Rhyme College.
Completely unrelated. What do you do at SUNY Buffalo?

Reaction Score
I’m sure it’s a risk - but, it’s ECU. I hate saying it that way considering it’s our conference. Regardless, he took at team that went 7-25 prior to his arrival to 21-13 and 24-10 including a trip to the tourney this year (as a #16 seed). That’s doing something right...

Reaction Score
Teach, administer, spend my life answering emails.
So, not admissions then. I have to tell you, in comparing experiences between Buffalo and Stony Brook, Buffalo has some odd policies.

Reaction Score
So, not admissions then. I have to tell you, in comparing experiences between Buffalo and Stony Brook, Buffalo has some odd policies.

Grad admissions yes, not undergrad. Those are all handled by professional staff, not faculty.

What experiences? Poor technology is a big problem for us.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don’t think Odom is a bad hire for ECU - he’s been one of the names associated with the gig since early last fall.

He’s a local guy, his family has history with the program and he can actually coach. He’ll actually value getting that job whereas everyone else on the planet would start the clock on their next job as soon as they get on campus.

They’re really not going to do any better than him.

Reaction Score
Grad admissions yes, not undergrad. Those are all handled by professional staff, not faculty.

What experiences? Poor technology is a big problem for us.
The main flaw in the undergrad process is the December 15th cutoff to be considered for most of the merit scholarships. First, that date is not well communicated and it is well before the actual application deadline. Second, there doesn't seem to be a good reason for it. The scholarships don't require interviews or any additional process requiring more time. In the end, I think they will lose some good kids because of it. Stonybrook doesn't have a separate, earlier, date like that. A related issue is that they also start a rolling enrollment process for the honors college on that date. Again, they aren't filling those slots with the best applicants and will lose kids because of it. And, again, there seems to be no good reason for it.

And the communication is also not well coordinated. The slew of emails and regular mailings are disjointed at best.

But at least they aren't cutting programs like Stonybrook is.

What department do you do grad admissions for?

Reaction Score
The main flaw in the undergrad process is the December 15th cutoff to be considered for most of the merit scholarships. First, that date is not well communicated and it is well before the actual application deadline. Second, there doesn't seem to be a good reason for it. The scholarships don't require interviews or any additional process requiring more time. In the end, I think they will lose some good kids because of it. Stonybrook doesn't have a separate, earlier, date like that. A related issue is that they also start a rolling enrollment process for the honors college on that date. Again, they aren't filling those slots with the best applicants and will lose kids because of it. And, again, there seems to be no good reason for it.

And the communication is also not well coordinated. The slew of emails and regular mailings are disjointed at best.

But at least they aren't cutting programs like Stonybrook is.

What department do you do grad admissions for?

I'm in English.

I just don't know about how the pro staff run it. We're under pressure to have everyone accepted by mid January.

The fact that there's a difference between the Stony Brook and Buffalo tells me this isn't state related.

Buffalo is a much bigger school however.

Reaction Score
401751EF-8EF4-4334-A2BC-FD7C53933CD1.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom