$EC football... | The Boneyard

$EC football...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's time for "student-athletes" to start getting a stipend.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If the Cam Newton saga didn't convince anyone, there is little hope. That many players want to be in Alabama?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
how about kids can get paid, but then they have to pay for there educations. the $ that ships cover is huge, greedy ppl...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
yeah they were playing it on the Feinbaum show too, guy back tracked a little, wouldn't reveal anything, kind of reminded me of that tool that said he knew who the bagman was that paid of Cam Newtons dad.

Well, Mississippi State admitted that Newton's dad asked for $180k. But I guess he went to Auburn because he loved the program so much.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
...but their APR is solid and isn't meeting that arbitrary flawed concept what is really important?:rolleyes:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
...but their APR is solid and isn't meeting that arbitrary flawed concept what is really important?:rolleyes:

Exactly. Give kids A's for no show classes and hand them a piece of paper after 5 years whether they can read at a more advanced level than Hop on Pop or add without using their fingers, or not.

Reaction Score
how about kids can get paid, but then they have to pay for there educations. the $ that ships cover is huge, greedy ppl...

The scholarship money is trivial compared to their earning power. College football earns billions and billions of dollars a year on the star power of these kids who get paid somewhere between 15 and 50K a year in scholarship money? And no way to go bring a girl out on a date with extra money in your pockets?

These kids needs a stipend at the very least, given their inestimable value to the big business of college football.

Reaction Score
If schools want to pay players, then they should leave the NCAA since they will no longer need that official stamp of "amateurism". Then instead of playing college football, they can be really bad professionals.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The scholarship money is trivial compared to their earning power. College football earns billions and billions of dollars a year on the star power of these kids who get paid somewhere between 15 and 50K a year in scholarship money? And no way to go bring a girl out on a date with extra money in your pockets?

These kids needs a stipend at the very least, given their inestimable value to the big business of college football.

I've always thought it would be interesting to call the players bluff on this one.

Give them a stipend, but then they pay for their education.

The devil in this plan is the details. Do all players get paid the same stipend regardless of whether they're an AA or if they're on the scout team? No pro sport team exists in the concept of equal pay for all.

Have a "base" stipend which covers tuition and maybe $500/month and then a graduating scale based on performance?

Lots of ways to go here.

Personally, I think the cost of a five year ride should be clearly laid out to the kids when they sign their LOI so they understand they're being given a $200,000+ free ride regardless of on-field performance. For the upper echelon players, they're getting ripped off because they generate well-beyond that amount per year. But on a team with 85 scholarship players, no more than 5-10 are "taking one for the team". 70+ players on almost every team won't ever see a pro football roster and their football skills won't ever provide income that is more than the value of a scholarship.

Free market or collective good? And it's got to be a system that 120+ universities agree on for implementation and enforcement.

Face it. The university pay system is extemely biased towards the top administrators and professors and every one else feeds in to them.

Reaction Score
I defer to Colin Cowherd's take on this. Free college-check, lots of free meals-check, chance to play the game you love at one of the highest levels-check, On campus celebrity and your pick of some of the most beautiful women?-Check.

How much is the squash team going to get paid again?

Reaction Score
I won't even get into why it's impossible to pay players due to Title IX.

There are other problems. Where is the money going to come from? Most schools could not afford to pay their players. Is it going to come from the TV networks? Doubtful. This would lead to an even bigger gap between the haves and the have nots.

Secondly, you can forget about this as a deterrent to boosters paying players. How much will the stipend need to be in order for kids to just say no? Not even Texas could afford that number.

Reaction Score

Couldn't disagree more.

Every school loses money.

Why? Because the money stays with the AD.

No school makes money when you look at athletics as a whole and not just football.

Even Texas loses money. Michigan too.

These kids would be lucky to play in the NBDL for peanuts were it not for college baskebtall. Who wants to watch Sioux City play Peoria?

Football would be even worse. It would be semi-pro with players moonlighting as UPS packers.

Reaction Score
I really have a hard time believing that there are that many kids out there on a 100% free ride whose families aren't so grateful that they can't afford to send the kid a $20 bill every once in a while.

I know it's tough in America but aren't these families now saving tons of money by not having to feed some of these Behemoths? I tailgated for a couple of years with a Dad of a DL. It blew me away how much his kid ate when he got home.

Reaction Score
If you pay players then we will end up with 20-24 programs that are any good. It would be catastrophic. People need to stop acting like these kids are being exploited and that some sort of high crime is being committed. They are being compensated, if they don't choose to take advantage of the education then it is their fault.

The NCAA also needs to stop acting like murder is being committed every time a kid sells a jersey so he can buy pizza.

Reaction Score
I've always thought it would be interesting to call the players bluff on this one.

Give them a stipend, but then they pay for their education.

The devil in this plan is the details. Do all players get paid the same stipend regardless of whether they're an AA or if they're on the scout team? No pro sport team exists in the concept of equal pay for all.

Have a "base" stipend which covers tuition and maybe $500/month and then a graduating scale based on performance?

Lots of ways to go here.

Personally, I think the cost of a five year ride should be clearly laid out to the kids when they sign their LOI so they understand they're being given a $200,000+ free ride regardless of on-field performance. For the upper echelon players, they're getting ripped off because they generate well-beyond that amount per year. But on a team with 85 scholarship players, no more than 5-10 are "taking one for the team". 70+ players on almost every team won't ever see a pro football roster and their football skills won't ever provide income that is more than the value of a scholarship.

Free market or collective good? And it's got to be a system that 120+ universities agree on for implementation and enforcement.

Face it. The university pay system is extemely biased towards the top administrators and professors and every one else feeds in to them.

I don't know enough about the accounting gymnastics of major college athletic departments, to know if this concept is applicable in reality. For it to work, means that the entire fund of scholarship money for the football program (or are you going to go with the entire AD?) is liquid, and available every year.

(i.e. - this is straight from UConn)

"In the 2011/2012 school year, the scholarship budget was $10,720,130. " (for the entire athletic department)

What I"m not sure, is how much of that money, is actual cash flow that exchanges hands, and my guess is that where an dhow that money flows is different in every university. It's money that definitely flows from one place to another within the university, but what you are suggesting is that the entire $10mill+ for the UConn Athletic Department, is essentially cashed out to the athletes on a yearly basis.

There are 85 football players (if on top of the scholarship funding, a stipend? Just throw out $500 a month. Add $500 a month x 12) = $6k a year stipend on top of all the fees covered by scholarship. That's another $510,000 on top of the existing figure - just for football. Add in all athletes and youre looking at least another $1 mill per year.

It would be a great experiment, I tell you that. Having universities hand over that much money to their student athletes, and essentially, say here you go - pay your bills on your own. See you at practice.

It could work, if all that budgeted money, is stuck into a single fund, and when the bills go out to the students, the athletes all just write their checks from the same account, and they are free to withdraw their $500 a month (or whatever stipend) as they see fit.....and if they fail to make payment? Well, they get treated just like everybody else in the world, that has bills and doesn't pay.

THe university isn't really hurt, b/c the money is still in the university system somehow. .

But if you do that, you don't get to do all the accounting gymnastics that goes on with all that money within universities. So it all comes back, to whether or not that athletic scholarship budget is really liquid or not.

(It's not)

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Couldn't disagree more.

Every school loses money.

Why? Because the money stays with the AD.

No school makes money when you look at athletics as a whole and not just football.

Even Texas loses money. Michigan too.

These kids would be lucky to play in the NBDL for peanuts were it not for college baskebtall. Who wants to watch Sioux City play Peoria?

Football would be even worse. It would be semi-pro with players moonlighting as UPS packers.

Then how do you explain LSU giving between $4-5 million per year to the school's general fund? Not every school keeps the money in the AD..

We say it often but it cannot be said too much - LSU Athletics uses no state tax dollars and no student fees. All funding for the athletics program comes from ticket sales, radio and TV revenues, concessions and merchandise sales, corporate sponsorships, Southeastern Conference revenue distribution and private donations.
In fact, LSU has one of the few athletics programs in the country - and the only one in Louisiana -- that not only fully funds its entire operations and capital outlay but also contributes back to the financial well-being of the university.
As state general appropriations for LSU has dropped by $92 million over the last three years, the Athletic Department has stepped forward to assume even a greater financial burden in support of the University. You may have read last week that, to help the university survive an $8.1 million mid-year budget cut, the Athletic Department will take on $1.5 million for funding the Academic Center for Student-Athletes. That is only the tip of the iceberg of what Athletics does for LSU.
Consider the following. In the last 10 years the Athletic Department has contributed to the University more than $5 million to enhance the appearance of the campus, such as replace and repair sidewalks, protect the oaks and magnolia trees and build paved areas for students to enjoy between classes.
The Athletic Department has contributed more than $4 million in the last decade for classroom repairs and renovations including the replacement of hundreds of chairs and desks, many of which were decades old.
The Athletic Department has also spent more than $5 million in the last 10 years to build or assist with the building of parking lots that are used not only for sporting events but for the day-to-day use of students, faculty and staff.
In the last two academic years alone, Athletics contributed more than $7 million to the academic side of the University, including $3.4 for the construction of a new Band Hall, $1.3 million toward the construction of a new complex for the College of Business plus regular contributions to the Campus Beautification Fund at $1.3 million, the Classroom Renovation Fund at $1 million and the Chancellor's Excellence Fund at $400,000.

Anyway, players do get stipends people. The average college football player probably gets about $500-700 for the fall semester in per diem monies. They get $35 per day for everyday that they leave campus or are on campus during a holiday (like T-Giving). During bowl preperations, a player is allowed up to $20 per day for a 10 day period. That's $200 cash to go to a bowl game, plus the free XBox.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
jaxhusky,

I am pretty sure LSU is the exception, not the rule.

Reaction Score
People are also missing an important aspect of this conversation. Even if we assume that players shouldn't be paid, they are forbidden for getting market value for their goods. So if you wanna sell that autograph, that's it, you're not an amateur. You can't get an endorsement deal. You can't use your connections to get a good job. You are essentially forced into a certain standard of living by the NCAA.

It's one thing to say, okay, these kids get scholarships and that's enough of a salary for them. I get that. But telling a kid he can't sell his autograph because it defies the point of amateurism when the school can make millions off of him? Or telling him he can't get a deal with Under Armor when the school can?

I think there are more shades of gray here than people are willing to admit, honestly. I'm not necessarily on the "let's pay them" bandwagon, but I do think there are some compelling points to be made, especially considering the vast gap between those who make the programs profitable and those who actually profit.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
jaxhusky,

I am pretty sure LSU is the exception, not the rule.

Absolutely, but I was just showing upstater that his statement that "No" school's AD gives back is not true.

Reaction Score
People are also missing an important aspect of this conversation. Even if we assume that players shouldn't be paid, they are forbidden for getting market value for their goods. So if you wanna sell that autograph, that's it, you're not an amateur. You can't get an endorsement deal. You can't use your connections to get a good job. You are essentially forced into a certain standard of living by the NCAA.

It's one thing to say, okay, these kids get scholarships and that's enough of a salary for them. I get that. But telling a kid he can't sell his autograph because it defies the point of amateurism when the school can make millions off of him? Or telling him he can't get a deal with Under Armor when the school can?

I think there are more shades of gray here than people are willing to admit, honestly. I'm not necessarily on the "let's pay them" bandwagon, but I do think there are some compelling points to be made, especially considering the vast gap between those who make the programs profitable and those who actually profit.

+1

Reaction Score
I don't favor paying players whether you call it a salary, a stipend or what. You want to get paid, go to the NFL. Or find some semi-pro franchise somewhere. If you want to give athletes some modest cash stipend, say $1000 a year, and every varsity athlete had access to it or every scholarship athlete at least, I guess I could live with it. But it would have to be some minimal amount. Or maybe a means-tested award...submit a FAFSA just like virtually every other student on campus and award stipends based on need, again with some modest maximum...$40-50 a week max. While it might be that there are occassional athletes who don't go out due to lack of money, one of the great thikngs about college campuses is that they offer lots of opportunities for entertainment at no, low or at worst modest costs especially to students. Otherwise it is just professional athletics. And look, you can't have individual players making their own marketing deals. it just doesn't work. Anyone remember a few Olympics ago when some of the US players objected to wearing the team uniforms because they had deals with another manufacturer? Just too many potential pitfalls. I know its anecdotal, but I was working on a project in Providence a few years ago and had an opportunity to spend some time with a PC player who was talking to me about this very situation. Told me how broke he was and how he didn't have money to even go out for a pizza sometimes. I was feeling sorry for him at the time. As we walked out to the parking lot, turned out we were parked side by side. I got into my 5 year old Focus. He jumped into his brand new SUV. I didn't feel all that bad after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom