Easiest Path to the Final Four? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Easiest Path to the Final Four?

Reaction Score
I think SCar has the easiest path to the Final Four. But I like UConn's bracket.

A lot can happen in the tournament. UConn, like all of the teams, controls their own destiny. A few bounces go our way, a few upsets happen, our star players ball out -- who knows?

Last year IMO was a combination of on and off the court issues (Geno's mom, the team's health/injuries, etc). I think mentally and physically they were just really worn down over an exhausting season. And tOSU just had their number in that S16 game and once UConn got into foul trouble and struggled against the press, it was all downhill from there. UConn has had some bad losses (to good teams) this season, but some of those losses also came early in the season and/or following a major injury. I think the team is trending upwards going into the tournament, unlike last year, where it seemed more like treading water.

Who knows, maybe they lose in the S16 again. Maybe I'm wrong. I never want UConn to lose, ever, but I do know there are limitations to this team. That being said, I just think this year the team looks more energized and mentally "there". And that makes me feel good.

Reaction Score
Personally I like UConn’s chances to bust some brackets. Tomorrow is the first test. If they come out like they did during the BE tournament all will be well. Some higher seeds came out flat today and didn’t look good at all. Every game is tough and one game at a time is my motto. I’m not projecting anything. Just looking forward to the game tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Personally I like UConn’s chances to bust some brackets. Tomorrow is the first test. If they come out like they did during the BE tournament all will be well. Some higher seeds came out flat today and didn’t look good at all. Every game is tough and one game at a time is my motto. I’m not projecting anything. Just looking forward to the game tomorrow.
No idea what will happen but you can't compare the NCAA and the Big East tournament.

Reaction Score
I really like our chances. Our seniors are all totally driven. Nika and Aaliyah have fought thru Hell these last couple seasons and both had exceptional jumps their junior years and have been rocks this season. To say they are hungry to finish their last season the right way would be a gross understatement. Paige is the most complete basketball player she has ever been, which should be pretty scary to any and all opponents. If anyone thinks she's willing to let this one slip away without every bit of fight she has in her, they haven't been watching what she's done this season.

This team has the strongest threesome of senior leaders that UConn has had in years. They've come in competitive and fighting each of the last three seasons and faced devastating setbacks that led to disappointment as they finished each one with a loss. Geno has always said he wants to send his seniors out the right way. That's always the goal and barring injuries this team will fight their way thru each game to send Aaliyah and Nika out with their rings and begin filling the fingers of those returning as the new dynasty begins. It's time for lady luck to simply keep our guys healthy and injury free and they'll take care of the rest. The six games winning streak starts tomorrow!
I worry mostly about foul trouble! If we have some bad or biased refs, we are likely toast! Especially in the later stages of the tourney! My other concern, besides the ever present, almost crippling fear of injury, is whether Geno has addressed what I see as our biggest (in terms of actual play) which imo, is our seeming inability to shut down our opponent’s best/hottest player! This seems especially true of smaller, speedy guards! Of course, our overall defense is now playing (almost routinely) at a truly suffocating level but I am still concerned about whether we stop someone like Hidalgo? Fortunately, there aren’t many players like her but I do hope Geno will have some kind of contingency plan for individual go offs. I think we can handle this in the early rounds but as we progress through the tourney, the quality of supporting players goes up and it becomes a real problem! “Here’s looking at you, Huskies!“ , we need one last, six game run! You’ve got this!:)

Reaction Score
No idea what will happen but you can't compare the NCAA and the Big East tournament.
No but the point is … it’s March. Time to rise and shine. Nobody is comparing Big East to NCAA. The level of play by UConn historically rises in March. So I guess you can’t compare any conference championships.

Nev

Reaction Score
I agree, I like our path.I don’t see us losing to The Buckeyes again. They got us once and Geno is a much better coach. I also see the Trojans a beatabl.
First we have to get by 2nd round Syracuse/Arizona. UCONN showed all season that no game is an automatic win except in Big East Conference play.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Big East has one team that's very good. NCAA has ~24 teams that are very good. That's the difference I was trying to state. Excuse my ineloquence.
Yet the other 3 seed's in the NCAA Tournament were worse or the same as UConn in the point spread wins. LSU won only by 10 over Rice, NC State won only by 19 over Chattanooga, and Oregon State by 22 over E. Washington.

Reaction Score
Color me Huskie blue, but I think UCONN really lucked out in its selection to the Portland 3 bracket. While nothing can come easily for a team with so many injuries (but just think of what next year will be like!), I don't see a team in our bracket that we can't beat. Aside from the teams below us, I believe that having two excellent ball handlers this year who weren't available last year (PB and KK), Geno will have the team very prepared to deal with Ohio State's press. And he has historically been able to limit the opponent's best player which has often led to victory when that team doesn't have another player who can step up. I believe that this describes USC. Yes, Juju is skilled and a threat but if we can limit her, who on SC's roster is anywhere near as talented?

If we can, in fact, reach the Final Four, it's anyone's guess but I have great confidence that UCONN has the path to get there....
Did you watch the Syracuse game? They have a star as well. No walk in the park. Don't overlook the game on Monday.

PvP

Reaction Score
Did you watch the Syracuse game? They have a star as well. No walk in the park. Don't overlook the game on Monday.
They have exactly one star. Check out the "contributions" of the rest of the roster and you will get where I'm coming from. Shut her down and there's no one left to carry on....

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I'm glad we didn't forfeit.
Congrats, it was good second half for Duke outscoring OSU 43-27. I was hoping that UConn could get revenge for last year if they move on to the Sweet Sixteen, which I expect they will do. Kara did a great job in coaching against OSU.

Reaction Score
You may well be correct, but I find it interesting that not one prediction has you facing BU. I’m sure you prefer we win above USC; so we will do our best to accommodate husky fans. Just never simply count out green and gold.

Reaction Score
VTech without Kitley is not going to beat anyone that has good players. That is a lot for them to overcome.
You succesfully proved him wrong. Nobody ever follows up on these things......KUDOS!

Reaction Score
They have exactly one star. Check out the "contributions" of the rest of the roster and you will get where I'm coming from. Shut her down and there's no one left to carry on....
As it turns out, any player can be a star if they knock down 3's like an NBA MVP. THose two Australian girls were absolute lights out. ONly reason it was as close as it was in my opinion. I expected the end of game heroics by Fair. As long as we kept her to 20, I figured UCon would win this. I was mostly right. Didn't expect the 13 three pointers from Syracuse though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom