E. Williams WBCA DPoY | The Boneyard

E. Williams WBCA DPoY

Status
Not open for further replies.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
As much as I would like Kiah to have it, even I couldn't give it to her because she didn't play enough. On a per minute basis, she had a wonderful season -- probably the best IMHO, but you can't block shots and rebound from the bench. LINK

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Elizabeth Williams has had the quietest career I have ever witnessed..... if you did not specifically know she plated for Duke, you would not know she played at all
She was sooo hyped coming out of high school. Can't believe she won NFOY over KML. Look at how their careers panned out...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Elizabeth is a good defender. Kiah is a great defender, and she blocked about twice as many shots in fewer minutes. Elizabeth has the PR, but not the substance, in my view.

HGN

Reaction Score
Elizabeth Williams is a excellent player. But I am a little surprised here.:eek:....Were the voters basing their votes on minutes played as a starter or on defensive play and stats ?

Reaction Score
I'm so disappointed I wanted her to win so bad but I'm not surprised. I don't understand why she didn't play some more minutes per game I thought she deserved it. Even if she averaged 25 instead of 20 then I don't see how you couldn't pick her with the stats she would have.
Hands down the best defensive player this year and I think she was last year too. In fact one of the best I've ever seen in men's or woman's game.

Reaction Score
I wish Kiah would've won, but didn't expect a non-starter to win. That said, the fact that she made it this far is quite a nod to just what a defensive force she has become. If they had a book-steal category...where you simply block and than pick the ball out of the offensive players hands...Kiah would be the all-time leader.

Reaction Score
Kiah Stokes deserved this DPOY award INFINITELY more than A'ja Wilson deserved being named 3rd team AP AllAmerica.

[The two played almost the exact same number of minutes, one was honored for her efforts, the other not.] :(

Reaction Score
Elizabeth Williams is a excellent player. But I am a little surprised here.:eek:....Were the voters basing their votes on minutes played as a starter or on defensive play and stats ?
I dispute Elizabeth Williams is an excellent player. She's a good player, above average, but I've never seen her do much of anything to suggest "excellent". She finally had a decent game against us this year after three years of embarrassing herself against our team. For her to be selected the defensive player of the year over Kiah is OFFENSIVE to me. There is no DEFENSE for her beating out Kiah Stokes who is in a league of her own defensively. What an injustice!!!!!

Reaction Score
I wish Kiah would've won, but didn't expect a non-starter to win. That said, the fact that she made it this far is quite a nod to just what a defensive force she has become. If they had a book-steal category...where you simply block and than pick the ball out of the offensive players hands...Kiah would be the all-time leader.
Forget book-steal category, IN ANY CATEGORY, Kiah is the best defensive player in women's basketball today!

Reaction Score
I'm so disappointed I wanted her to win so bad but I'm not surprised. I don't understand why she didn't play some more minutes per game I thought she deserved it. Even if she averaged 25 instead of 20 then I don't see how you couldn't pick her with the stats she would have.
Hands down the best defensive player this year and I think she was last year too. In fact one of the best I've ever seen in men's or woman's game.
As you've said or implied, one of the best EVER! I thought Emeka Okafor was brilliant but I think she's better!

Reaction Score
Forget book-steal category, IN ANY CATEGORY, Kiah is the best defensive player in women's basketball today!
I meant block-steal...interesting correcting by spellcheck...

I agree...after she smothered the first drive to the basket, the Maryland players didn't really even challenge her again. Good scouting and high praise from a one seeded opponent.

Reaction Score
I thought this was a joke when I read the thread title.
Oh well. Maybe this will stoke Kiah's fire for tonight and we'll have a block party!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
As much as I would like Kiah to have it, even I couldn't give it to her because she didn't play enough. On a per minute basis, she had a wonderful season -- probably the best IMHO, but you can't block shots and rebound from the bench. LINK
Kinda funny Stokes didn't play enough however Aja Wilson was a AA and Tuck wasn't.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
On most teams in America Kiah would have played 30+ minutes a year and put up such numbers as to make this award a lock. Galling that E Wms, who is by all accounts a great student and person, can underperform for 4 years and get the award. Slow of foot and slow of whatever else you care to mention on the court. Surely there was a starting big in America better than that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom