Dynasty | The Boneyard

Dynasty

Reaction Score
I believe we're in the midst of a dynasty.
This staff is so damn good at everything...

Roster building- Not only are we stacked but there's continuity from the championship teams and we have a mix of new veterans and returning sophomores with a few freshmen mixed in. They have managed to create a perfect balance of continuity and the right portal/freshman adds for several years now. Not only are we set up with a serious goal of three-peating, we're set up really well for the year after that.

There's total buy in from the returning players and from the new players, another national championship is what they're playing for and they aren't shying away from it.

I can't stress enough how important and awesome it is that Luke, Kimani, and Tom Moore are so happy here. Hurley and this staff are far ahead of everyone else in college basketball. It won't last forever but I think we're just in the middle stages of what can and will be accomplished here.

Reaction Score

Roster building- Not only are we stacked but there's continuity from the championship teams and we have a mix of new veterans and returning sophomores with a few freshmen mixed in. They have managed to create a perfect balance of continuity and the right portal/freshman adds for several years now. Not only are we set up with a serious goal of three-peating, we're set up really well for the year after that.

There's total buy in from the returning players and from the new players, another national championship is what they're playing for and they aren't shying away from it.

I can't stress enough how important and awesome it is that Luke, Kimani, and Tom Moore are so happy here. Hurley and this staff are far ahead of everyone else in college basketball. It won't last forever but I think we're just in the middle stages of what can and will be accomplished here.
Yes

Reaction Score
There are 6 coaches in the history of NCAA D1 men's basketball with 3 championship rings. If I know anything about Hurley, I know that he doesn't care at all that he just won back to back championships and he's foaming at the mouth for the opportunity to get into that club

Let's get it!

Reaction Score

The last program that was close to a dynasty was the late 1980s to early 1990s Duke.

1986: Finals loss to Louisville
1987: Sweet 16 loss to eventual champion Indiana
1988: Final Four loss to eventual champion Kansas
1989: Final Four los to runner-up (ROBBED!) Seton hall
1990: Finals loss to UNLV
1991: National Champions
1992: National Champions
1993: 3 seed second round loss to Jason Kidd's Cal team
1994: Finals loss to Arkansas

In 9 years, 7 Final Fours and 2 Titles. They played for 3 other titles. That's a really amazing run. But you're right...it seems like this is the start of something rather than the conclusion. After Florida won back-to-back in 2006-2007, they missed the tournament from 2008-2009. That is clearly not where this program is. They are set up to be a #1 or #2 seed this coming year barring injuries. They'll have a legitimate chance to defend back-to-back for the first time since 1993 Duke. But as you noted, coaching philosophy, roster construction, etc. it feels like this team is set up for a longer stretch.

Another potential comparison is the mid-2010s Villanova:

2014: #2 seed, loss to eventual champion UConn in R2
2015: #1 seed, loss to NC State in R2
2016: #2 seed, National Champion
2017: #1 seed, loss to Wisconsin in R2
2018: #1 seed, National Champion

That's as good a 5 year window as you can ask for in terms of regular season, and the 2 in 3 is incredibly impressive. But again, this UConn program has already matched it in terms of titles, and they're still going strong.

For Duke, it trailed off after the Coach K back injury. They rebounded, but never matched that sustained success.

For Villanova, they had a 6-seed in 2019, were in line for a 2-seed in 2020, dropped to a 5 in the weird post-Covid year, and made a Final Four in Jay Wright's last year in 2022. He retired the same year as Coach K.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would never, ever go that far because I am certain that my words have a direct impact on our fortunes.

But I think Hurley and this staff, in recent years, have cracked the code on what kind of team wins. It’s beyond getting good players, it’s getting smart players who are capable of focus beyond what most college players are capable of.

That’s why we saw the UConn avalanche over and over and over the past two years. Good teams can keep up for 10, 15, 20 minutes, but eventually UConn cracks them and it’s off to the races.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I would never, ever go that far because I am certain that my words have a direct impact on our fortunes.

But I think Hurley and this staff, in recent years, have cracked the code on what kind of team wins. It’s beyond getting good players, it’s getting smart players who are capable of focus beyond what most college players are capable of.

That’s why we saw the UConn avalanche over and over and over the past two years. Good teams can keep up for 10, 15, 20 minutes, but eventually UConn cracks them and it’s off to the races.

The players have mentioned over and over that practices were harder than games and eventually I accepted that as fact.

We had a virtually perfect season, and maybe Hurley will never assemble as complete a team as the one we just had the pleasure of watching, but I agree: we’re just going to keep reloading with talented players who are X-and-O nerds committed to mastering our sets, giving 100% effort on every possession on both ends, and using practices and summers to maximize both personal and team performance.

Reaction Score
For past 4 years i have questioned DHs ability to produce a better team than the previous. But every year DH has done it. The bar is finally so high he almost certainly cant do it again. But he's taking a good swing at it with the recent signee's

Reaction Score
Back to back titles after losing 3 players to the nba already qualifies imo as one of the greatest achievements ever in cbb. And already a dynasty.

A three-peat is a ridiculous long shot and would qualify as the greatest achievement ever in the sport. Yeah, greater than wooden even imo. I don’t think it can be done. But I also never imagined UConn would win back to back titles in dominant fashion.

Reaction Score

This 100%. And while we are pounding our chests, shout out to AD DB as well!

Reaction Score
There are 6 coaches in the history of NCAA D1 men's basketball with 3 championship rings. If I know anything about Hurley, I know that he doesn't care at all that he just won back to back championships and he's foaming at the mouth for the opportunity to get into that club

Let's get it!
soon there will be two of them in the club from the same school…

Reaction Score
Back to back titles after losing 3 players to the nba already qualifies imo as one of the greatest achievements ever in cbb. And already a dynasty.

A three-peat is a ridiculous long shot and would qualify as the greatest achievement ever in the sport. Yeah, greater than wooden even imo. I don’t think it can be done. But I also never imagined UConn would win back to back titles in dominant fashion.
Back2back is def a great achievement, but on its own it’s not a dynasty..

Reaction Score
Injuries are such a fickle thing. We've been tremendously lucky the past 2 years. I hope we remain lucky.
Not really, it was totally abnormal how injured we were during the later Ollie years. Jackson had injuries and Samson's entire sophomore season was derailed by injury. Clingan and Castle were hurt this season but we were at full strength for the tournament.

Reaction Score
Our defense probably won't be as good this year without Clingan, so our success will be largely based on how teams are able to react to our offense. More breadcrumbs and secrets have been spilled about it and there's another season of tape out there, so opposing coaches will have a little more understanding in how to attack it, and our guys will be a little less experienced in operating it. AK's return decision is enormous.

Reaction Score
I don't know about a dynasty, but I think the key ingredients to the formula for success are coaching, talent and culture.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
DynastyCast-Season6-1985-1986.jpg

Reaction Score

THIS can not be said enough. This coaching staff has taken things to another level.

We are the luckiest fans in all of college of basketball... to go from Jim Calhoun and his coaching staff to this group, in such a short amount of time, is truly amazing.

Yes, I was one of those who a couple of years ago got frustrated with some of the hard-headedness I saw, at times, during games. But there is a switch that flipped somewhere in February of last year. And I am awe-struck by what we are witnessing. We were playing some truly beautiful basketball this year, the likes of which I have rarely seen at the college level.

And like you said... every guy who comes here is buying in, completely and full throttle, to what we are doing. Dan, Kimani, Luke and Tom have done it. They have built the closest thing to the perfect culture I have ever seen. The players love the staff, and yet they also respect them 100% to go full-throttle and practice their butts off, and also play selfless, team ball.

And both Luke and Kimani did not hesitate to stay on board to go for the 3-peat. Either of them could have written their ticket to practically any mid-major opening they wanted. But they wanted to be here for more, too.

It is absolutely crazy, in such a great way.

Maybe, as a few have argued in response in this thread, another title or at least a deep run next year is required for this to be called a "Dynasty". But honestly, who cares? There is no team I have rooted for that has ever come close to giving me the thrills and enjoyment that this team has since 1989-1990. And yet, they took it to an even higher level over the last 14 months. I feel truly blessed to be a fan of the UConn Huskies... and I am sure that most of you feel the same way.

Reaction Score
Rob Duaster said on his podcast that McNeeley and Mahaney both left multiple 100s of k in nil on the table from other schools for the opportunity to get coached up by this staff. The belief now is you come to UConn to become a pro and make more on the backend. That says it all.

Reaction Score
Our defense probably won't be as good this year without Clingan, so our success will be largely based on how teams are able to react to our offense. More breadcrumbs and secrets have been spilled about it and there's another season of tape out there, so opposing coaches will have a little more understanding in how to attack it, and our guys will be a little less experienced in operating it. AK's return decision is enormous.
Tournament teams will still have the same problem with Uconn, you can't prepare for us.

Big east teams did worse against us after having a year to prepare.

Reaction Score
Rob Duaster said on his podcast that McNeeley and Mahaney both left multiple 100s of k in nil on the table from other schools for the opportunity to get coached up by this staff. The belief now is you come to UConn to become a pro and make more on the backend. That says it all.
I thought Trilly said we upped our offer for Mahaney and UK declined to match it?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Enjoy the ride people

I am

Reaction Score
I just want to remind folks; we will lose basketball games. We aren't indestructible. The goal is to do well in the regular season/BET and then do our thing in the NCAAT.

In terms of a dynasty, yes I do believe we are in the midst of one. Our staff are remarkable. They do their homework and it shows in the portal to address our needs.

The sheer negativity when we lose games on here is crazy. We can win 10 ncaa tournaments in a row but if we lose to Creighton or Kansas like we did this year we all of a sudden are an average team with several weaknesses. I hope that winning these back to back rings showed some of the weirdo's on the BY that it's normal to lose games. We have to learn that losing is a part of the game. Winning in the big stage matters most and we do that.

I just wanted to get this out there. That's all

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom