DWHoops Previews Duke vs UConn | The Boneyard

DWHoops Previews Duke vs UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A lot of information was left out. Like Bria's injury last year and her being healthy this year at the core of her resurgence. Plus, Maryland and PSU were the first two games following the loss of KML and Kiah.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yeah, those things sprang to my mind too, Ice. But all and all pretty good. Hope we don't trip up....

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
And if anybody wants to see a detailed rundown of Duke's roster, our latest Devils in Detail feature is here: http://www.dwhoops.com/Duke/1312131-devils-in-detail-dec-2013.php

Orin
DWHoops.com

Thanks for all the great info. Where the heck was it BEFORE I wrote my game analysis. I am not beyond stealing.

Just a couple of things.

" UConn no longer has the defensive mainstay in Faris to bottle up Chelsea Gray, and Gray has to exploit this by keeping her team connected."

That is basically the only mention you make to UConn's defense where they lead the nation in blocked shots, 3rd in FG% defense and 4th in scoring defense. Duke hasn't scored more than 51 points against UConn in the last 4 games.

"The only way to beat them will be to put up huge offensive numbers and hope that UConn doesn't have the depth to match them that night."

Based on how well UConn plays defense "huge" offensive numbers are really unlikely. And UConn goes deeper than Duke in all ways with KML and Tuck available.

Gee, that was fun. I get to critique someone else's writeup...lol.

Thanks for sharing. Great stuff.

Reaction Score
Yeah, those things sprang to my mind too, Ice. But all and all pretty good. Hope we don't trip up....

I always used the phrase as "all in all" but your usage actually seems a more accurate expression of the sentiment of all inclusive or including everything which is what I think it means. The redundancy of "all and all" emphasizes that the totality, the universe of possibilities is what's under discussion.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
DD's nit picks aside, that was an excellent analysis by Rob, as expected.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Great write-up. No rose colored glasses used whatsoever.

HGN

Reaction Score
I liked the DWHoops writeup............It was indeed an honest and fair piece. Duke is a good team and has a fair chance to win the game if certain things fall into place for them. But if those things don't fall into place for Duke it could be their first loss and could get ugly if things fall into place for UConn. Which I think is the more talented team at this point.

It should be a good game as it should be anytime it's No.1 vs No.2.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
DD's nit picks aside, that was an excellent analysis by Rob, as expected.
Nitpicks?????

He didn't mention once UConn's current defensive ability. And do you agree about the depth issue, my friend?

Just a couple of disagreements.

I give him credit for his honest opinion on Duke's weaknesses. He certainly isn't a homer...lol.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I think Rob wrote a great article. Surprisingly exhaustive knowledge of UConn for a non-UConn supporter; I daresay few, if any on the Boneyard could do the same mutatis mutandes.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Nitpicks?????

He didn't mention once UConn's current defensive ability. And do you agree about the depth issue, my friend?

Just a couple of disagreements.

I give him credit for his honest opinion on Duke's weaknesses. He certainly isn't a homer...lol.

DD, I think this paragraph is a pretty good analysis of one of things UConn does well, which relates to defensive ability:

There are a few things that UConn does in every game that makes it difficult to beat them. First of all, they limit their fouls. They don't reach in, they don't charge and they never carelessly go over the back. This is not to say that they aren't physical (they are), just that they know exactly how and when to be physical. Limiting their fouls means that they have a full complement of players at all times and rarely give away free point to their opponent.

While I understand what you are saying, the article is from a Duke site and a game preview, not a UConn site or merely a testimonial about UConn's greatness. And this paragraph indirectly discusses UConn's defensive prowess and its depth.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
DD, I think this paragraph is a pretty good analysis of one of things UConn does well, which relates to defensive ability:

There are a few things that UConn does in every game that makes it difficult to beat them. First of all, they limit their fouls. They don't reach in, they don't charge and they never carelessly go over the back. This is not to say that they aren't physical (they are), just that they know exactly how and when to be physical. Limiting their fouls means that they have a full complement of players at all times and rarely give away free point to their opponent.

While I understand what you are saying, the article is from a Duke site and a game preview, not a UConn site or merely a testimonial about UConn's greatness. And this paragraph indirectly discusses UConn's defensive prowess and its depth.
I hear ya, Cam. I did read that and I should have mentioned it. I was only pointing out that he mentioned Uconn's offense and I believe that it's the defense that makes the difference for this team.

No biggie. I think it was a great article.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
After tomorrow night all the naysayers will be quieted. After tomorrow night there won't be any straggler votes depriving UConn of its unanimous number one ranking. After tomorrow night, without marginalizing how important Kelly Faris was to UConn's defense last year...folks won't be contemplating her loss as a sign that UConn's defense has weakened. After tomorrow night Bria Hartley's name will be spoken of in every All American discussion. After tomorrow night opposing coaches will still be scratching their heads trying to figure out what to do with Breanna Stewart. After tomorrow night's game Geno will know exactly where he is for the rest of the season. After tomorrow night the only three unanswered questions out there will be Notre Dame, Tennessee and Louisville... After tomorrow night we will all be heading towards a very Merry Christmas...

Last edited:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I was only pointing out that he mentioned Uconn's offense and I believe that it's the defense that makes the difference for this team.

I agree that's a good observation.

Reaction Score
After tomorrow night all the naysayers will be quieted. After tomorrow night there won't be any straggler votes depriving UConn of its unanimous number one ranking. After tomorrow night, without marginalizing how important Kelly Faris was to UConn's defense last year...folks won't be contemplating her loss as a sign that UConn's defense has weakened. After tomorrow night Bria Hartley's name will be spoken of in every All American discussion. After tomorrow night opposing coaches will still be scratching their heads trying to figure out what to do with Breanna Stewart. After tomorrow night's game Geno will know exactly where he is for the rest of the season. After tomorrow night the only three unanswered questions out there will be Notre Dame, Tennessee and Louisville... After tomorrow night we will all be heading towards a very Merry Christmas...
When I started reading this, I looked to see if it was from TonyC. :)

Reaction Score
"Fourth, everyone on the team (save Stokes) is a threat to shoot the three."

And as soon as Stokes read this, I'll bet she was in the gym practicing threes.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
After tomorrow night all the naysayers will be quieted. Check

After tomorrow night there won't be any straggler votes depriving UConn of its unanimous number one ranking. Check

After tomorrow night, without marginalizing how important Kelly Faris was to UConn's defense last year...folks won't be contemplating her loss as a sign that UConn's defense has weakened. Check

After tomorrow night Bria Hartley's name will be spoken of in every All American discussion. I guess I will leave this box unchecked for the moment.

After tomorrow night opposing coaches will still be scratching their heads trying to figure out what to do with Breanna Stewart. Double Check

After tomorrow night's game Geno will know exactly where he is for the rest of the season. Check

After tomorrow night the only three unanswered questions out there will be Notre Dame, Tennessee and Louisville... Kara Lawson and Rebecca Lobo agree with me .... So, Check

After tomorrow night we will all be heading towards a very Merry Christmas... Merry Christmas to all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom