Dwayne Killings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dwayne Killings

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He did reasonably well here.

Josh Carlton and Tyler Polley were Killings’ recruits.

Hard to judge him after that given that the head coach was off catching butterflies for much of the time.

Did he catch them? Or merely try to catch them?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yea that's there schtick. It's allegedly an account of 20+ people tweeting what they are hearing or just what people DM them and usually multiple folks chime in and say inconsistent and conflicting things so that they can say they were first on something but also cover themselves when things they tweet don't pan out.

I don't believe Killings did any podcasts with the our local media guys (Hartford Courant, New Haven Register, Journal Inquirer) but did make some rounds on the National circuit. If you're interested in hearing the podcasts if he does become Marquette's AC, here's a couple he's done recently:

4 Quarters Podcast: UConn Assistant Dwayne Killings, Montverde Academy HC Kevin Boyle and National Recruiting Update | Zagsblog

Create Your Shot: Dwayne Killings

I had a fun back and forth with them because they were certain that Hurley wouldn't leave URI just to come to UConn. Pitt maybe.

As for Killings, he seemed to be a good hire at the time. In retrospect, I think Ollie had his mind set on doing things a certain way, and brought in guys who wouldn't question or challenge him. You can look at that as a positive or negative with regard to Killings.

pj

Reaction Score
It probably wasn't easy initially for the Managers and Staff to find jobs after Enron collapsed, but there's a reason you know the name Kenneth Lay

Because he invented potato chips?

Reaction Score
My guess with Killings right now is that if Marquette is hiring him, he won't be announced for a few weeks. Let him get out there and recruit as an independent party so that he isn't subject to NCAA rules. Of course, that runs the risk of someone making him a better offer, but I guess that's part of the game.

Reaction Score
That's on Miles. Strange that Nebraska hired Miles given his record was 71-88 his previous five years at Colorado State.
Only strange if you look at it in a vacuum.

Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 8.21.31 PM.png

He helped turn a moribund program around.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Only strange if you look at it in a vacuum.

View attachment 30545

He helped turn a moribund program around.
I saw that. Not sure you take a flyer on one great year even with the trend. And his efforts at Nebraska are worse than KO’s albeit he’s in a tougher conference.

Hurley is far more proven. Let’s hope he demonstrates success at a National brand.

Reaction Score
Please tell me this is part of your contrarian shtick.

Um, maybe? The Sun Belt comment was somewhat tongue and cheek, but I'm interested in learning about the contrarian shtick I've apparently developed, especially since your opinions have changed so much in the last couple months.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Um, maybe? The Sun Belt comment was somewhat tongue and cheek, but I'm interested in learning about the contrarian shtick I've apparently developed, especially since your opinions have changed so much in the last couple months.

That wasn't meant as as much of a dig as it may have come off as initially. From my perspective, there have been times where you've taken a dissenting viewpoint from the conventional wisdom in order to spark discussion -- which is a good thing in my book! But ranking on a freshman who put up 13 and 9 against the eventual national champions as being not good enough for this level seemed a bit off base.

Reaction Score
That wasn't meant as as much of a dig as it may have come off as initially. From my perspective, there have been times where you've taken a dissenting viewpoint from the conventional wisdom in order to spark discussion -- which is a good thing in my book! But ranking on a freshman who put up 13 and 9 against the eventual national champions as being not good enough for this level seemed a bit off base.

I didn't think you meant it as a dig, and I'm not surprised by how you've read my recent run of posts. You might be partially right for the reasons you mentioned. As a general philosophy I try to argue the underrepresented viewpoint, not necessarily to be a contrarian (though sometimes that might be true), but because I've grown increasingly resistant to see the world in the right/wrong binary. With regards to Ollie, I get the sense that everything related to the program these days gets filtered through an excessive and emotional reaction that incorporates a lot of recency bias. And that's largely all legitimate. I'm just drawing the line a little lower on the latter than others, and that's fine.

Carlton can definitely play. A guy like Zach Auguste might be an accurate comp, and he was a very good player for a couple of extremely good Notre Dame teams. He could also turn out to be something less than that, and that's OK, too. When you're choosing from a cluster of players in that ballpark, chances are you're A) getting a good player and B) not getting a good player right away. Carlton actually tracks pretty well so far.

The only thing that's tricky is the fact that there is so much parity in college basketball, which means you need to be pretty damn meticulous in your program building if you're going to avoid the curse of normalcy. Killings, to my eye, certainly didn't do anything here - that is plain to the naked eye today - that he couldn't have done at Temple. Incidentally, Temple has lived in the Josh Carlton zone over the last few years - to what extent Killings recruited those players, I don't know, but their 1 tourney in 5 year run is the flip side to what can make the sport great. You've been the catalyst for banging the drum on how lucky this fan base has been, and I definitely respected that take even when you came off as being a wet blanket. If that had the weird effect of persuading me to believe something that you no longer believe, then I guess that's how these things go. Ollie took the ship off track, but not as far as people think...and more importantly, I anticipate that whatever track Ollie was supposed to have us on will prove unreasonable for Hurley.

Reaction Score
Hey guys, Marquette fan and infrequent visitor. I just saw we hired Dwayne Killings. I was wondering what you could tell me about him, as far as recruiting, what role he served on Ollie's staff, and just what he brings to the table as an assistant. Thanks in advance.
You got a jem. Excellent recruiter, good guy, who was buried by the chaos here at Uconn.

Reaction Score
Killings was a friend of former coach Kevin Ollie who decided to make him a part of the UConn family. Ollie was only 127 and 79 as our head coach and 7 and 1 in the NCAA tournament. Unfortunately, he was an abject failure who recruited players who he allowed to become injured, some before arriving in Storrs! This resulted in 2 consecutive losing seasons. He was late to implement the pizza parlor recruiting techniques favored on this board and it has been 4 years since he last won a national championship and so he was fired for cause. Killings recruited two players, rising sophomores, still on the team, neither of which are as good as Emeka Okafor in his junior year. Simply put, no friend of Kevin Ollie could possibly help your basketball team. Too bad for you.
This is very well said and funny-- but its a bad take

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think he watched Youtube videos of other people catching them
Perhaps he made up pithy catch phrases about catching them.

"Butterfly nets are for cowards"

#nonets

Reaction Score
Here's hoping he works out. Thanks again, Boneyard. Love visiting this place, it's one of the best message boards out there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom