2025 Recruiting: - Dwayne Aristode | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Dwayne Aristode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’m not worried about recruiting right now Hurley knows how to identify his kids. On a side those coaches who are getting teams loaded with one and dones aren’t winning nattys anytime soon. Transfer portal is where it’s at.

Reaction Score
@temery Really need a smh emoji
smh GIF

Reaction Score
lol right after they announce they’re keeping Woodson
Yeah, they might want to reconsider that decision..... Top recruits are more likely to improve the program than a 66 year-old Nike Woodson.

Reaction Score
i dont think that's necessarily news. there's thousands of high school players that want to play for UConn but they have to be good enough to be recruited in the first place.

having said that you gotta make time for recruits like aristode. Hurley cast too small a net in 2024 and we're gonna have to strike gold in the transfer portal for the 3rd time in 3 years to make up for it.

My guess is Hurley realizes most good teams are old. And after signing a 5 person class we can’t bring in a bunch more freshman. We don’t want to be looking at 8 underclassmen on the roster. That is a recipe for transfers and potentially poor culture. Recruiting over every kid every cycle is untenable in the modern game. And so we only targeted kids that could play immediately, save or Abraham. We have an amazing pitch to the ever increasing portal talent and often these kids are looking for something different than HS recruits.

Reaction Score
@temery Really need a smh emoji
Which part do you disagree with Cause these are all facts: 1) we lost out on 2 of our top 3 targets, 2) we only have 2 commits, 3) we’re losing at least 4 starters, 4) we’ll need at least 2 elite transfers if we want to replace that production…
…listen I wouldn’t trade Hurley for anyone but that doesn’t mean he walks on water and we can’t have honest discussions about recruiting. Heck maybee it was a calculated decision to go all in on Flagg and ngingba and pivot to transfers if we didn’t get them

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not worried about recruiting right now Hurley knows how to identify his kids. On a side those coaches who are getting teams loaded with one and dones aren’t winning nattys anytime soon. Transfer portal is where it’s at.
You fill holes from the portal, you don't build a roster with it. We have a stud in Nowell and a project in Abraham coming in. If we can grab a 5 star, we need to do it.

For portal, Cliff Omoruyi from Rutgers with two years of eligibility left (he'd be 25 in two years). If we can shake Patrick Ngongba away from Duke, that'd be OK too.

Reaction Score
You fill holes from the portal, you don't build a roster with it. We have a stud in Nowell and a project in Abraham coming in. If we can grab a 5 star, we need to do it.

For portal, Cliff Omoruyi from Rutgers with two years of eligibility left (he'd be 25 in two years). If we can shake Patrick Ngongba away from Duke, that'd be OK too.
So you’re agreeing with me. I’m going to enjoy my back2back championship and worry about recruiting later. Everyone is too hyped about Duke’s class of freshman which won’t win next year.

Reaction Score
Which part do you disagree with Cause these are all facts: 1) we lost out on 2 of our top 3 targets, 2) we only have 2 commits, 3) we’re losing at least 4 starters, 4) we’ll need at least 2 elite transfers if we want to replace that production…
…listen I wouldn’t trade Hurley for anyone but that doesn’t mean he walks on water and we can’t have honest discussions about recruiting. Heck maybee it was a calculated decision to go all in on Flagg and ngingba and pivot to transfers if we didn’t get them
You'd think after 4 straight years of making the same complaint every spring and then having a good recruiting class you'd learn. It's almost like Dan Hurley had a plan and after a huge 5 man recruiting class he didn't want another big one...

Reaction Score
You'd think after 4 straight years of making the same complaint every spring and then having a good recruiting class you'd learn. It's almost like Dan Hurley had a plan and after a huge 5 man recruiting class he didn't want another big one...
Dude I’m not attacking him just trying to have a discussion on recruiting strategy. But contrary to what you’re saying he Was prioritizing two other freshmen so we could very well have had a big 4 recruit class. I hypothesized in my last post maybe he thought cooper and pat were the only freshmen he’d rather have than transfers. Do you buy that?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hurley is an amazing recruiter. I don’t think 2024 went how he wanted it too.

Not going according to plan is getting a top 30 player and another close to top 50 player though with winning traits though.

Reaction Score
Dude I’m not attacking him just trying to have a discussion on recruiting strategy. But contrary to what you’re saying he Was prioritizing two other freshmen so we could very well have had a big 4 recruit class. I hypothesized in my last post maybe he thought cooper and pat were the only freshmen he’d rather have than transfers. Do you buy that?
I don't buy that when you say the same thing every year. And yes, I believe you can never pass up 5 star talent that fits and has interest in UConn, so yeah I think it was more Cooper and Pat than wanting freshman.

We'll have at best 4 returning players with any real playing time and 6 guys without any experience. And Samson and Jaylin would be in extremely different roles of those 4 returning guys. If we want to be competitive again that team needs transfers, not more young unproven freshmen

Reaction Score
I do believe that. Hurley has said a few times recently that he's only taking recruits that he thinks can help the team win that have the characteristics he's looking for. Said he doesn't care about rankings and isn't going to fill a class for the sake of filling the class. I don't think he could have done that before the portal era. He'll now pivot to the portal and fill the holes. I believe that's why after missing on Ngongba and Flagg we really haven't heard much of anything about 2024 recruits.

UConn will be pretty attractive to a lot of transfers. Should be interesting to see who they target.

caw

Reaction Score
We”ll already have four 6’7” 6’8” guys on the team next year. Think we need other positions.

If he can play the two/three he could still fit, theoretically.

Reaction Score
This staff has shown that they are very successful identifying program matches in their recruiting targets and then closing them. NIL and the portal has obviously changed the landscape for recruiting in the last few years. DH has shown that he can pivot and adjust to this new environment.

Any recruit or target who does not understand (or appreciate) the focus our staff/team is putting on achieving our season goals is probably not a fit for us.

We'll be fine. Let's beat Providence and enjoy a fun week in NYC.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Gotta love this place. We are looking at another potential run and going back to back and we have throat punching going on about recruiting. I understand recruiting is now a 365 day situation, but when you are a fan of the countries best team, perhaps it would be good to enjoy the ride and the worry about next year when it’s time.

Reaction Score
There are very very few freshman who could come in next year and make an immediate impact. Even freshman year Hawkins wasn't anywhere close to what he gave us his sophomore season. We'll have a great core of Ball, Diarra (I assume he's back), Karaban (hopefully), Stewart, and Nowell. We'll need to go out to the portal and find another Cam Spencer and a veteran starting center. I love Samson but he isn't a starting caliber center in such a physical conference. He'll be a strong backup again though.

That would put us at 8 deep, and then we can still probably find a shooter to come off the bench which would get us to 9. I'm not sure how much Abraham or Ross would play next year so I'm not really counting them in the rotation depth. Next years roster is really going to come down to what we do at Center and how we can replace Cam. We got the best staff in the country. They'll find the perfect fit just like they always do

Reaction Score
i dont think that's necessarily news. there's thousands of high school players that want to play for UConn but they have to be good enough to be recruited in the first place.

having said that you gotta make time for recruits like aristode. Hurley cast too small a net in 2024 and we're gonna have to strike gold in the transfer portal for the 3rd time in 3 years to make up for it.
I cannot stress enough, the staff didn’t love the talent pool of the 24 class and acted accordingly. Did we miss on targets, yes? But in this day and age, why reach for a kid and use resources if you don’t have to.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
"In 30 games this season, he averaged 12.7 points (51% shooting), 3.8 rebounds, 2.9 assists, and 1.1 steals per game. He also shot 46% from 3-point range (64 of 139) and was an 80% free throw shooter (56 of 70).15 hours ago

Oh yeah.

Reaction Score

Duke has 4 five stars and 2 four stars coming next year on top of all the ones that are still on the roster. My question is simple. With some of their 5 and 4 star bigs certainly getting limited minutes and doing a lot of bench sitting, why wouldn’t you come to play for Hurley where you are guaranteed starting and big minutes?
Don’t we have room for 2 quality players aside from our class?

Reaction Score
Duke has 4 five stars and 2 four stars coming next year on top of all the ones that are still on the roster. My question is simple. With some of their 5 and 4 star bigs certainly getting limited minutes and doing a lot of bench sitting, why wouldn’t you come to play for Hurley where you are guaranteed starting and big minutes?
Don’t we have room for 2 quality players aside from our class?
Hurley isn't just going to take sloppy seconds because a kid is highly ranked. You should know that's not how he operates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom