Dukie and Me | The Boneyard

Dukie and Me

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I’m currently on a river cruise out west. One of the others on board is a Texan who is a Dukie grad. Nice guy. Hoops of course have come up. So he starts trying to tease me about blue bloods. I asked him what life is like living in the 20th century. He is actually a Dan Hurley fan but probably because of the Bobby Jr. connection. He seems glad to know that maybe all of our starters might be gone.

Reaction Score
I have noticed the same. Much of the ire Duke fans had towards our squad seemed to directed mostly to JC. I suppose that's far, most of my hatred for Duke was hatred for K. I always felt our guy had to come from further behind, but caught K. Seems like Dukies didn't like any hint that someone may be better than K. And the argument could be made with JC.

Reaction Score
I’m currently on a river cruise out west. One of the others on board is a Texan who is a Dukie grad. Nice guy. Hoops of course have come up. So he starts trying to tease me about blue bloods. I asked him what life is like living in the 20th century. He is actually a Dan Hurley fan but probably because of the Bobby Jr. connection. He seems glad to know that maybe all of our starters might be gone.
What’s the latest on Karaban, is he leaving in 20 minutes?

Reaction Score
I have noticed the same. Much of the ire Duke fans had towards our squad seemed to directed mostly to JC. I suppose that's far, most of my hatred for Duke was hatred for K. I always felt our guy had to come from further behind, but caught K. Seems like Dukies didn't like any hint that someone may be better than K. And the argument could be made with JC.
The hatred for JC is likely the result of the 99 Huskies wiping out their season with the National Championship they'd been lead to believe was theirs for showing up.

When we went to the 99 Final Four we flew in on Saturday and while driving around we were listening to the "experts" on ESPN radio proclaiming Duke was so good their second team could probably win the Championship.

So when your fans, especially the easily the brain washed students, get the rug pulled out by the upstarts from UConn what else can you do but obsess over how unworthy they were and what a fluke it was to lose to these farmers from the hills of Connecticut...........

Reaction Score
I live in VA and run into many Duke fans. It's pretty much "the blue blood" bit and "Coach K this and that". I even work with a few Duke fans and since this last natty, they're pretty quiet. When they start, all I say is 6 to 5. When they use to start about Coach K, I'd send them clips of Jay Bilas saying he was plain and simply out-coached by Calhoun in 99 and of Bilas saying that Calhoun was one of the greatest X's and O's coaches in college b-ball history.

Reaction Score
What I find amazing about K is his mentor was Bob Knight, and off the court one of Calhoun’s basketball friends was Bob Knight.

Reaction Score
I thought he was about defecation in the bathroom. LOL! I was like this is weird thread. Maybe some new Mojo for UConn? LOL!
Maybe its a better thread for Uconn Health Center. They have great GI doctors that can lend a hand

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I don't look on the rear view mirror

Reaction Score
The hatred for JC is likely the result of the 99 Huskies wiping out their season with the National Championship they'd been lead to believe was theirs for showing up.

When we went to the 99 Final Four we flew in on Saturday and while driving around we were listening to the "experts" on ESPN radio proclaiming Duke was so good their second team could probably win the Championship.

So when your fans, especially the easily the brain washed students, get the rug pulled out by the upstarts from UConn what else can you do but obsess over how unworthy they were and what a fluke it was to lose to these farmers from the hills of Connecticut...........
I remember it well. Was in the student section. I had graduated in 98, but i still had friends in school who helped me get tickets.

I was living in Los Angeles at that time. I remember in the days/weeks before i called into some late night national sports talk radio show. I forget the name of the host. He wasnt someone i was familiar with from my youth in CT. I told him CT was beating Duke. He emphatically told me no way!! He said UCONN was a bunch of chokers since Ray Allen lost to Miss State and we lost to Duke in 90. He also said Voskuhl was wearing down and wouldnt be able to run the floor with Brand.... was a fool that dude was.

Its also funny experts thought the Duke 2nd team could win. Their bench was useless. Totally not ready to compete. Magette was ok, but I remeber thinking Nate James and Chris Burgess looked really intimidated. Everyone off our bench entered the game with a purpose and played well (Rash, Soul and Saunders). They all were fearless.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is pretty much public knowledge by now that Coach K arranged fat bags of money for recruits at a Clemson/LSU level for most of his career.

How do these Dukie acolytes deal with that? Are they even able to admit it to themselves?

Reaction Score
Can you sneak into his room and short sheet his bed

Reaction Score
Uconn fans know JC is far superior to K. Way 50 to 10 five stars and JC wins championships still. And coming from nothing program. It isn't even close.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Can you sneak into his room and short sheet his bed
He’s a Texan. Probably packing. Strange trip for me, a UConn and Yankee guy. First i meet the Dookie and then a guy wearing a Red Sux hat. With no apologies if you are a Sux fan. (My parents were both Boston fans.).

Reaction Score
He’s a Texan. Probably packing. Strange trip for me, a UConn and Yankee guy. First i meet the Dookie and then a guy wearing a Red Sux hat. With no apologies if you are a Sux fan. (My parents were both Boston fans.).
Hey Cohenzone, name the pitcher with the best lifetime win percentage against the Yankees? He was 18-5 against the Bronx Bombers during his career.

Reactions: Orc
Reaction Score
It is pretty much public knowledge by now that Coach K arranged fat bags of money for recruits at a Clemson/LSU level for most of his career.

How do these Dukie acolytes deal with that? Are they even able to admit it to themselves?
Duke fans can’t even admit that it’s not the same Duke that they fell in love with for the reasons they did. Back in the day their players all stayed 4 years and graduated. Now they are like most every other program using one and done players like crazy, their own players entering the portal in significant numbers, and rarely do their players stay for 4 years anymore. Many of the things that made them “special” aren’t in place there anymore.

Reaction Score
Many of these ACC coaches that were complaining were subscribing to the Pump Brothers "newsletter" with a ton of money, and they were comping the Pumps things like F4 tickets all the time. A lot of the proceeds ended up in player's pockets as they were signed over to the teams that were paying. Maryland and Duke were 2 of these teams. Calhoun didn't have a relationship with the Pumps.

Reaction Score
My wife is a UNC alum. It has been made clear to me that if I speak with a Duke alum more than to tell them to f*&$ off, she will be "ruining you" in divorce court.

Reaction Score
I’ll say it outright. JC was a better coach than K. He just didn’t have the 4 letter and Dookie V recruiting for him. Both times they met in the Final Four, the better coached team won.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Cohenzone, name the pitcher with the best lifetime win percentage against the Yankees? He was 18-5 against the Bronx Bombers during his career.
Probably the Babe. If he had stayed in Boston, Lou Gehrig would’ve beaten him like an old rug.:cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom