Dukes Skates On Lance Thomas Investigation | The Boneyard

Dukes Skates On Lance Thomas Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The way I read it Thomas refused to cooperate with the NCAA as both a Duke and NBA player. He bought $100,000 in jewelry while a Duke student and the jewelry store sued him when he didn't pay. Isn't that theft? So no penalty for Duke. If one of our players did that.........

Reaction Score
I don't believe that anyone on this board seriously thought that Duke would be penalized by this. The Athletic Department self-reported this to the NCAA knowing full well that there was little chance that either the store or Thomas would talk. Once the bill was paid it all became a moot point.

Reaction Score
Yea...not surprising. Duke doesn't get hit with this stuff. Didn't even have to vacate their 1999 season because of Magette.

Reaction Score
The way I read it Thomas refused to cooperate with the NCAA as both a Duke and NBA player. He bought $100,000 in jewelry while a Duke student and the jewelry store sued him when he didn't pay. Isn't that theft? So no penalty for Duke. If one of our players did that.........

The fact that Lance Thomas didn't pay his bill isn't what should be damaging to Duke. He put down $30,000 in cash at the time of the purchase, nearly four months before playing for Duke in the 2010 national championship game. It looks like Thomas was accepting impermissible benefits - the kind that would make him ineligible. If that's the case, Duke should be stripped of its national title.

So the NCAA kicked down the door of Ryan Boatright's home seeking receipts for hamburgers, yet decided not to press Lance Thomas on where his 30 grand in cash came from. I'd be shocked, but then I already know that the NCAA is a corrupt, scumbag organization.

Reaction Score
Unbelievable:rolleyes: ...........but hey it's Duke!! You just have to know if this was UConn the end result would not have been pretty..........

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The fact that Lance Thomas didn't pay his bill isn't what should be damaging to Duke. He put down $30,000 in cash at the time of the purchase, nearly four months before playing for Duke in the 2010 national championship game. It looks like Thomas was accepting impermissible benefits - the kind that would make him ineligible. If that's the case, Duke should be stripped of its national title.

So the NCAA kicked down the door of Ryan Boatright's home seeking receipts for hamburgers, yet decided not to press Lance Thomas on where his 30 grand in cash came from. I'd be shocked, but then I already know that the NCAA is a corrupt, scumbag organization.

Without subpoena power what can the NCAA do? They have absolutely no mechanism available to compel Thomas or the jewelry store to testify. Once Thomas left Duke he was home free unless the jewelry store owner squealed and he has no reason to now that he got paid.

Reaction Score
Without subpoena power what can the NCAA do? They have absolutely no mechanism available to compel Thomas or the jewelry store to testify. Once Thomas left Duke he was home free unless the jewelry store owner squealed and he has no reason to now that he got paid.

That's never really stopped the NCAA from handing down judgements before without having spoken to people directly involved. Miles and Nochimson didn't cooperate with the NCAA, UConn still got hit, DRose didn't cooperate with the NCAA, Memphis still got hit. The NCAA is selective in who they decide to punish.

Reaction Score
Yea...not surprising. Duke doesn't get hit with this stuff. Didn't even have to vacate their 1999 season because of Magette.

I thought that they were still investigating that.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It's Duke. They get special treatment. Nothing new.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The NCAA does what it wants. You think it wants to deal with stripping Duke of a national title, which would be the end result of a player receiving impermissible benefits? You don't need to be a conspiracy theorist to think the NCAA had no interest in tarnishing the legend of its most prominent face.

Reaction Score
UCONN fans like me feel that punishment has been inequitable. That plus the conference screwing leaves us cranky frankly, so when we see this kind of stuff we have a tendency to ask what gives? The best revenge is an inyourface final four appearance followed by big time recruiting.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The appropriate test will be if the NCAA hammers them for some BS as a make up call like they did for the APR nonsense.

While I'm at it, why doesn't every article written about UNC mention the academic fraud scandal, like the APR ban is mentioned?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
You would have thought, Coach K, being the saint that he is, would have convinced Thomas to be honest and speak to the NCAA about what happened.

Nothing to see here, move it along...

Reaction Score
You would have thought, Coach K, being the saint that he is, would have convinced Thomas to be honest and speak to the NCAA about what happened.

The NCAA continues to drowns in its ineptness. It has lost the trust of the fans. Until Emmert is gone, nothing will change.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Come on now...if they could prove where the $30k came from (realistically, most likely it was a sports agent in some capacity), the NCAA would be compelled to vacate Dook's 2010 Championship. They couldn't possibly do that. Coach K is all time wins leader and they have already symbolically out his bust on College Basketball's Mount Rushmore. Can't go sullying his angelic image!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom