Duke lost to NC State | The Boneyard

Duke lost to NC State

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Just randomly thought of this. Can you imagine a worse ending for a season? I think it's worse than Coach K ending his career with a loss to UNC.

Duke hardly even thinks of NC State as a rival. It'd be like us having championship aspirations and losing to Providence in the Elite Eight. I'd die of embarrassment.

Reaction Score
Just randomly thought of this. Can you imagine a worse ending for a season? I think it's worse than Coach K ending his career with a loss to UNC.
Well, it wasn't a career ending loss to UNC, but his last home game ever. Whoever planned his retirement ceremony AFTER the game though....LOL.
edit: NM, they lost to UNC in the Final 4 too. Double gut punch for the Dookies that year. lol

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
I personally don't really think a 4 seed losing in the Elite Eight, after beating a 1 seed, is really even close to the worst way a season can end. NC State was hot as a pistol, winning the ACC tournament, where they had beaten Duke a few weeks earlier when NC State was only on the comeup. I'm sure Purdue would trade their loss to FDU and Virginia theirs to UMBC in a heartbeat.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I personally don't really think a 4 seed losing in the Elite Eight, after beating a 1 seed, is really even close to the worst way a season can end. NC State was hot as a pistol, winning the ACC tournament, where they had beaten Duke a few weeks earlier when NC State was only on the comeup. I'm sure Purdue would trade their loss to FDU and Virginia theirs to UMBC in a heartbeat.
It's not just any 4 seed, it's Duke, and it's who they lost to. If they lost to a red-hot Vanderbilt or whatever, fine. But NC State? It's rough for them

Reaction Score
Duke always gets an easy path to a Final Four, coach K always took advantage of it, Scheyer has not. Last year had the regionals in MSG.

Reaction Score
It's not just any 4 seed, it's Duke, and it's who they lost to. If they lost to a red-hot Vanderbilt or whatever, fine. But NC State? It's rough for them
I get it. But really just not that bad a loss under the circumstances imo.

Reaction Score
I'll be sure to run my posts past you for approval in the future. Apologies for the oversight
I'm like why post this now and not right after Duke lost the game? I was like did they lose in Baseball or something? Why are we giving Duke forum space talking about their bad season during our UConn basketball off-season? You are free to post anything you want but then expect some people to give you flack for doing so as this is a forum.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I'm like why post this now and not right after Duke lost the game? I was like did they lose in Baseball or something? Why are we giving Duke forum space talking about their bad season during our UConn basketball off-season? You are free to post anything you want but then expect some people to give you flack for doing so as this is a forum.
Right after Duke lost the game I was focusing on the still ongoing UConn season.

pj

Reaction Score

It takes at least two months to develop sympathy for a Duke loss. Why, it's been 25 years since their 1999 title loss, and I still don't have any sympathy for them.

Reaction Score
Me and one of best buds (Duke fan) discussing this before the game…

C4349EF5-1DD6-45CF-BB8D-D5A318AB76C5.jpeg

Reaction Score
duke fans were pretty low on how the team was playing anyway. after beating a gimpy houston team, it was house money.

Reaction Score
Nick Saban leaving Alabama football the way he did this year was way worse than Coach K. Saban had had enough and just gave up.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
duke fans were pretty low on how the team was playing anyway. after beating a gimpy houston team, it was house money.
Not sure Duke fans are familiar with the concept of house money. They think the Final Four is their birth right

Reaction Score
Duke hardly even thinks of NC State as a rival. It'd be like us having championship aspirations and losing to Providence in the Elite Eight. I'd die of embarrassment.
it would be like losing to PC if PC had won 2 nattys and made 4 final 4s instead of just 1 final 4 and being completely irrelevant otherwise. so losing to PC would be way worse.

Reaction Score
I don't understand all the animosity for Coach K (other than the agony of 1990).

It's not his fault Vitale and ESPN put him on a pedestal and raised his profile so high kids were flocking there. Maybe they just wanted to help the ACC and not look like they were licking the boots of the local team and league (UConn and the Big East). Vitale is the big villain to me for the constant ACC hype and lack of recognition of UConn's success. Bilas and others have made up for it to a degree with their praise for what JC did for a little state university outside the major basketball footprint.

When K lost to JC in 1999 and 2004 he didn't breeze by and say nothing in the handshake line. In fact, he's been a gentleman towards UConn, gracious in defeat, and has helped DH from what DH has said.
-
He got off to a slow start at Duke and was almost fired while going 38-47 his first three years but then took off. There were some here getting edgy about DH because of first round NCAA tournament losses in his third and fourth years. K took eleven years to win his first NCAA title. DH only five.

Now if you want to discuss Scheyer that's another story. I'm not wishing him ill will because I don't want to trigger bad karma but he's getting all kinds of positive media coverage so far and it's mainly related to the position he holds and the halo effect.

Reaction Score
I don't understand all the animosity for Coach K (other than the agony of 1990).

It's not his fault Vitale and ESPN put him on a pedestal and raised his profile so high kids were flocking there. Maybe they just wanted to help the ACC and not look like they were licking the boots of the local team and league (UConn and the Big East). Vitale is the big villain to me for the constant ACC hype and lack of recognition of UConn's success. Bilas and others have made up for it to a degree with their praise for what JC did for a little state university outside the major basketball footprint.

When K lost to JC in 1999 and 2004 he didn't breeze by and say nothing in the handshake line. In fact, he's been a gentleman towards UConn, gracious in defeat, and has helped DH from what DH has said.
-
He got off to a slow start at Duke and was almost fired while going 38-47 his first three years but then took off. There were some here getting edgy about DH because of first round NCAA tournament losses in his third and fourth years. K took eleven years to win his first NCAA title. DH only five.

Now if you want to discuss Scheyer that's another story. I'm not wishing him ill will because I don't want to trigger bad karma but he's getting all kinds of positive media coverage so far and it's mainly related to the position he holds and the halo effect.
Because Duke basketball was literally the evil empire for 20 years. So hateable.

I don’t think we’ll ever become what Duke was exactly. We don’t flop every play, slap the floor, and get so many favorable calls from the officials. No no.

Go UConn!! Duck fuke!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom