Duke giving its players iPads.... | The Boneyard

Duke giving its players iPads....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"Each student-athlete on this year’s roster will be issued an iPad loaded with practice schedules, travel itineraries and video content."

LINK

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
"Giving?" No. Your title is somewhat inaccurate.

From the article:
The iPads will remain the property of Duke University but each student-athlete will have the opportunity to purchase the iPad at market price upon their graduation.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"Giving?" No. Your title is somewhat inaccurate.

From the article:
The iPads will remain the property of Duke University but each student-athlete will have the opportunity to purchase the iPad at market price upon their graduation.
Sorry Cam... I guess they are lending them. Touchy, touchy.

Please see definitions 2. and 3.: LINK

2. to hand to someone: Give me that plate, please.

3. to place in someone's care: If you give me your coat, I'll put it in the closet.

Reaction Score

3. to place in someone's care: If you give me your coat, I'll put it in the closet.

And...your avatar is a retriever...!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Basically, they are getting something that the basketball program believes will help them streamline specific basketball-related processes. Incidental value the iPad may have is just that- incidental. The players will have to relinquish the iPads or buy what will surely be an obsolete model upon graduation. I have no beef with it. Most college students don't get European trips and chartered flights, if it comes to that.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
There are a lot less restrictions on what schools can do for their athletes than what a booster can do. And, incidently, schools - and teams - can do things for their boosters that cannot be directly recipricated except by donations to the athletic department.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
sounds like an extra benefit, does every Duke student get an i pad ?
Exactly my first reaction. If I'm a Duke student I walk in and ask where I pick up mine. I don't need to own it just have it for use. I suspect, however, that if it is labeled for the athletic dept. it is no different than dedicated weight rooms for athletes.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
icebear said:
Exactly my first reaction. If I'm a Duke student I walk in and ask where I pick up mine.

I'm sure if the Football team wants to do that, or the Nursing program, or the Physics dept., etc. want to do that they can.

Hey, maybe UCONN should allow all students to use the soon to be new practice facility and locker rooms huh? Sound like a good idea? :rolleyes: Sometimes you guys are just baffling.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
I'm sure if the Football team wants to do that, or the Nursing program, or the Physics dept., etc. want to do that they can.

Hey, maybe UCONN should allow all students to use the soon to be new practice facility and locker rooms huh? Sound like a good idea? :rolleyes: Sometimes you guys are just baffling.

Reaction Score

I don't know. Did every UConn student get a free ticket to see "The Producers" on Broadway?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

My point was that after the first impulse response is that it is entirely consistent with the ability of the university have those dedicated athletic facilities which are not available to the general student population. You missed that what you suggest was exactly my point.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
If no one misses a practice and every play is run to perfection and they win a Championship, I'm sure every team will be handing them out....

They're much lighter than the laptops barb turner and company used....

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

I like ho you ignore definition 1. :)

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Duke is the first college basketball team to announce a switch from physical notebooks to iPads for players to view scouting reports, take notes and study film.

And this is just for football, men's basketball, and women's basketball at this point.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Smart play by Duke. I assume we'll see this trend permeate all of college sports. We are in the technology age, or whatever you want to call it. I think it's a great tool for student athletes. Frankly, I see no problem with the kids getting to use them while the general population does not. The student athletes are also on scholarship which means they pay no tuition, room and board, etc etc. Just another benefit the student athletes receive. And well deserved.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Only at graduation.

They come with a useful prompting app for reciting the daily specials.
Seriously, I've been in restaurants that use iPads for the menus and/or wine lists. It's very impressive. The Dookies will have a leg up on the competition in the waiter/waitress interview process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom