Duke and Cuse rivalry 2.0 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Duke and Cuse rivalry 2.0

Reaction Score
Go ahead son, project all the bluster you want. You didn’t go to UConn, did you?

Puke and Finger Lakes State can’t lose enough for me. Call it what you want; those fan bases deserve nothing but eternal misery. If you don’t understand why, this ain’t the place for you. A USA Today subscription is probably sufficient for your fandom.
Class of 2001.
And you don't have to hate to love.

Reaction Score
Besides UConn I just find myself watch less college basketball than years ago. I can’t be alone here

Reaction Score
Duke is a evil empire of recruiting success. Dodgers in baseball now. I don't really hate Cuse, they are no threat, but Duke certainly is and they will continue to be a highly rated team until they stop getting 5 stars by the bucket load.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I think they beat us the last couple times we’ve played? MSG and Newark? But that was back in ‘09 and ‘15?
Well I know they beat us in 09 at MSG. Went to that game and toward the end my new and still wife had to get me out of there as a few of us started to get into it with some Duke fans. They hate when you mention to them what we have done to them in final fours. That really gets under their skin.

Reaction Score
I think their stupid zone defense made me hate them more since it seemed to give us problems. If Syracuse and Duke were both top 25 playing us, I think most people here would be more amped up then any BE game. Who’s our biggest rival now, Nova or maybe Creighton?

Reaction Score
Not sure the word is hate, but I really enjoy when they lose. If they lose big, like Syracuse lately, I really enjoy it. It's just amazing how irrelevant Syracuse has become, like right behind BC's level of insignificance.
What makes for good sport's rivalries is geography, imo. Were we ever going to have that in the AAC with a Tulane or Wichita St.? NO. Happy where we are now.
Can you imagine living in Syracuse with the worst weather this side of Siberia, and having to route for that garbage of a program.. Life is good UCONN nation.

Reaction Score
I understand this, but it doesn't mitigate my unbridled hatred of the Orange. May they rot in the corroded buckle of the Rust Belt. Even my family members, all UConn fans, don't understand how I can hate Syracuse more than Duke . . . but I do.
I’m sorry — if there was any implication that you shouldn’t hate Syracuse because of what I said you misinterpreted me. If I could make myself care about Syracuse any more, I’d hate them too every day. My point was only that anyone being honest with themselves KNEW that this move would take their basketball downhill. And yet, like decisions we’ve made with conference realignment, they get made because, ultimately, no athletic department in America feels comfortable that they can remain long term basketball powers without competing at a high level of football. (And yes, I know the “novas and Gonzagas are going to compete in just hoops as long as they can, but they do so knowing that ultimately that ability may be taken out of their hands.)

Reaction Score
Besides UConn I just find myself watch less college basketball than years ago. I can’t be alone here
I've always watched non-UConn CBB. It waned at the end of the Ollie era when the season just felt futile. Then with the Big East move and Hurley hire I started watching Big East when possible. Now that UConn is a nationally elite team I can watch any game, especially involving other top teams, and get some entertainment from it. Its fun to imagine how UConn would match up in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Same. Seems like the buzz for college basketball is way down overall. I think the portal has made teams even more anonymous than they were before and few people outside of die-hard fans can get excited about their teams.

It's no secret that March Madness matters above all in this sport but it's disappointing how irrelevant it seems the regular season has become.

Reaction Score
Syracuse isn't relevant anymore. They made their bed. I don't even want to waste the energy scheduling them until they turn that program around. Would still love to crush duke though, we are still competing for recruits with them.
This. I’m fine scheduling Syracuse if and when they can right the ship. Until then, there’s really no upside for us as a program other than giving fans another reason to go to MSG. There’s 50 other schools that I’d rather see scheduled for an OOC game.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
That board bathed in our misery during the last few years of the Ollie era. They couldn’t help themselves.

Almost like this thread. These things tend to come around on the gloaters. I specifically credit that board with the 2014 title run. They angered the gods.

I don’t much like the idea of returning the favor for them, however unlikely it appears. That’s how these things work in my head, and rule #1 about the mojo.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Almost like this thread. These things tend to come around on the gloaters. I specifically credit that board with the 2014 title run. They angered the gods.

I don’t much like the idea of returning the favor for them, however unlikely it appears. That’s how these things work in my head, and rule #1 about the mojo.

How about the 2023 title run? Kicked off by a thread on the Cuse board where they guy congratulated the little guy (UConn) for the win over Iona.

After each.win, each post was filled with abject horror as to what they had created, lol.

Reaction Score
This. I only watch UConn games now. I used to love to watch Big East matchups and other interesting games around the country.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Before we anoint Hurley as the best coach in the country, let’s see how this season ends and what next season translates to. We have a national championship in 23, which translated into only 2 recruits for 24, and none so far for 25. Hurley is our coach and we’ll never do better but his recent elevation in coaching and winning, has not translated to recruiting, yet.
Before we anoint Patrick Mahomes as the best quarterback, let's see how he does in the next AFC Championship game and Superbowl...

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
I’m from Ct, but lived in the city and now in upstate because of work. I will say up until recently the exCuse fans around here are insufferable. They still think they’re some kind of blue blood which is laughable. Always puts a smile on my face when they get throttled. I’ll continue to piss on their grave until I’m in mine. The Duke hatred is gone now after multiple wins in the FF.

Reaction Score
This. I only watch UConn games now. I used to love to watch Big East matchups and other interesting games around the country.
Purdue Wisconsin was fun. The guy they had on Edey was too small and Edey had his way. He would be a tough challenge especially if refs called it tight.

Reaction Score
Every time I think “playing Syracuse would be pointless”

I then think about how big my smile would be knockin them down by 25+. Schedule it asap as far as I’m concerned

Reaction Score

I just find myself enjoying watching the big east. The Big 12 as well.

But like the game of the night in the ACC used to be must-watch, now it's meh.

And Big ten basketball is lame.

So as a whole, I watch less, but I would say I can watch almost any game from the two above conferences.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Did you enjoy winning the national championship last year or being #1 now? Or does your love of Duke not allow you to do so?
His opinion which rings a level of validity
You need thicker skin.

Reaction Score
I just find myself enjoying watching the big east. The Big 12 as well.

But like the game of the night in the ACC used to be must-watch, now it's meh.

And Big ten basketball is lame.

So as a whole, I watch less, but I would say I can watch almost any game from the two above conferences.
Agree 1000% with Big Ten is lame, haha. I'm sure there have been some good games but I've missed them this season.

The Mountain West is in my rotation if I'm up late. It is similar to the BE in that the top teams all have different styles of play

Reaction Score
Slightly off topic, but how deep does your hatred of a rival (or disliked sports program) go?

If you are in a position to hire someone and a solid resume hits your desk from a Syracuse grad, do you tear it up? Does it get a bump down? Or do you set the basketball dislike aside?

Similarly, if your kid wants to go to Syracuse or Boston College and it's otherwise an okay place for them (commensurate with their credentials and at a price point you are expecting) do you tell them no way you are paying for it?

Finally, for those of you whose kids DID go to a UConn rival, or just another solid program, do you find yourself rooting for that school now?

I'll go first. I have no problem separating my athletic hatred from hiring. I also don't have an issue being friends or civil with someone that graduated from a rival. I have friends that went to most ex-Big East teams. It's just not an issue. There is a Providence guy in my town that comes after me about UConn. That has died down for obvious reasons. I piss him off by not texting him when UConn wins. I would let my kids go to a rival school if it was where they wanted to be and made sense academically. I'm assuming I'll root for their teams if it is not a UConn rival. Should they go to a rival, I think I'll root against them.

Reaction Score
Before we anoint Hurley as the best coach in the country, let’s see how this season ends and what next season translates to. We have a national championship in 23, which translated into only 2 recruits for 24, and none so far for 25. Hurley is our coach and we’ll never do better but his recent elevation in coaching and winning, has not translated to recruiting, yet.
Dude, what?

Reaction Score
I know what you're saying. It's more like a hatred in theory than in practice. Do you still hate something if you never think about it?

The opposite of love isn't hate. It's indifference.

I still hate Duke, but the Cuse? I've forgotten about them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom