DPOY: Kiah Stokes vs. ...... who? | The Boneyard

DPOY: Kiah Stokes vs. ...... who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I mentioned it in another thread, but considering how impactful Kiah has been on the defensive end for us this year, I thought I would make a thread to see what others (who follow other teams more closely) might think.

Does Kiah have any realistic competition for the WBCA DPOY award in 2014-15, assuming she keeps up a similar level of play in her remaining games? Or even if she swatted and rebounded at a somewhat reduced rate..?

South Carolina has good defensive stats, but I'm not aware of one particular "stopper" on their squad. Our own MoJett could probably land on the first team all-defense if there were such a team, but I'm not aware of it if so. Is there anybody else out there to challenge Kiah?

kiah stuff.jpg

“And the Lord spake, saying: "First shalt thou take out one player, and put in Kiah. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, shall thy foe lobbest a pathetic shot attempt towards the rim; where Kiah, who, being blessed in my sight, shall snuff it.”

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Kiah is #2 in the country in blocks with 4.65 behind Oral Robert's Vicky McIntyre (4.86).

Reaction Score
It's hard to even think of anybody else, major defensive stoppers this year.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think a non-starter could win it if they have the stats.........Plus , Kiah brings along a very good rebounding average per minute as well. And it doesn't hurt her chances that she plays for UConn while putting up those kinds of averages.

If she keeps up her level of play that she has , she is going to be hard to ignore for any All-Defensive Team.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Kiah is #2 in the country in blocks with 4.65 behind Oral Robert's Vicky McIntyre (4.86).
The problem for Mcintyre is that Oral Roberts is #235 in scoring defense and #139 in FG% defense. It's hard to get votes is your team is mainly seen as a points porous club.

Kiah is at almost 21 mpg which may not be starter's minutes but is at least more than half. If she sets the unofficial block per minute record this year, that should be something to stand tall with.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if there is a 6th player award at the national level. I know the BE added it (Ketia won it), and the AAC may have it.

Kiah is the best shot blocker I've seen other than Griner and the best defensive rebounder I've seen, period. Her rebounds and blocks stats per minute are insanely high. Her performance against ND helped her case, as did yesterday's game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think it's a great question - why not Kiah? I don't know the rest of the stats for other players out there but I think from a defensive standpoint, you'd need to look at a post player who is just a monster inside, or a guard/wing who amasses a ton of steals or forces turnovers that way. Ashley Battle comes to mind - not sure if she was every DPOY, but I know she was "6th man of the year"... She never really started - always came off the bench. I think she was BE DPOY, but not sure she was D for the NPOY...

Reaction Score
DePaul and South Florida have members on the committee so they will have first hand knowledge of Kiah should she be nominated. Go Stokes!

Reaction Score
101 blocks and we are just past the 1/2 point in the season. If I am not mistaken she started the season off with 178? Very impressive!

Reaction Score
The DPOY tends to go the person who is the player who you put on the other team's star. And to the person who has had success in shutting down good players.

Are there are examples of the latter?
Not sure Kiah has played enough good centers.

Reaction Score
I think Kiah will easily be the nominee from the American for DPOY. I am curious though how much the committee will look at games started when making their selection...

http://www.wbca.org/pages/AWARDS_defensive-player-of-year_d1

"Eligibility
The defensive player of the year in each NCAA Division I conference is eligible for the award. A conference that does not select a defensive player of the year may nominate one player to represent the conference.

Criteria
Must be an NCAA Division I conference defensive player of the year or be nominated by the conference if it does not select a defensive player of the year
Present-year game-by-game statistics (steals, defensive rebounds, offensive rebounds, blocked shots, and offensive charges)
Other Awards/Achievements

Nomination
Each conference communications director submits to the WBCA office the name of their defensive player of the year or nominee along with the statistics and other information listed in the criteria above.

Selection
The recipient is selected from the conference defensive players of the year/nominees by the WBCA NCAA Division I Defensive Player of the Year Selection Committee."

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I'm almost willing to bet they give it to Elizabeth Williams from Duke. She has name recognition. Don't doubt me.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm almost willing to bet they give it to Elizabeth Williams from Duke. She has name recognition. Don't doubt me.
Could be, but Gail G. said Kiah was a much better shot blocker.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The DPOY tends to go the person who is the player who you put on the other team's star. And to the person who has had success in shutting down good players.

Are there are examples of the latter?
Not sure Kiah has played enough good centers.
How about shutting down the ENTIRE ND team??

Reaction Score
How about shutting down the ENTIRE ND team??

Kiah shut down the entire ND team by herself? Yes, by all means that's a DPOY-worthy performance. :)

If she had shutdown Brianna Turner, that would be a nice accomplishment. But alas...

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
15 defensive rebounds, 4 blocks, 2 steals for Kiah against an ND squad that shoots 31.4% for the game. Not sure about which player on the entire ND team shot well when entering the paint against Kiah, but it sure couldn't have been Loyd who shot 35% in that game. Since ND shoots 50% and Loyd 49% usually, Kiah may have played a major role there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom