Down she goes. | The Boneyard

Down she goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Thanks for the pics! ignoring the conference bs this really is an exciting time to be a uconn student / alumni / fan.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
At least they're demolishing the visitor's section first!! ;) Had some good memories on that field...

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Mixed emotions - I personally left a ton of hard work and sweat on that field as a UCMB member.

Sad to see it go, but happy that progress towards a basketball facility is finally(!) being made...

Reaction Score
Played many of night time tackle football games in the snow on that field. Even got chased off by Tom Jackson once.

Reaction Score
oh man... Miss those days 20 plus years ago... Looks like their starting with the easy stuff first... Plenty of concrete to dismantle on the home team side.... New beginnings in Storrs, CT...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
At least they're demolishing the visitor's section first!! ;) Had some good memories on that field...

Uh yeah that was the home side at the end. ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Played many of night time tackle football games in the snow on that field. Even got chased off by Tom Jackson once.

He probably was trying to recruit you.

Reaction Score
Agree with others. My first college football game was a night game in the fall of 97 at Memorial as a freshman. I remember a game in the snow against a very good Hofstra team in 98 (?). Fantastic atmosphere as we were standing in the end zone at the track end of the field for that one. My last game was against Temple in 02. Fell in love with TC and Deon Anderson that afternoon...

Reaction Score
I remember the playing field for Women's Field Hockey were located behind those stands.

Reaction Score
Here's a photo from the Courant. View from the grandstand in 1980. I remember the first time driving up over the hill on 195 coming off of I-84, about 5 miles from campus, you could see a brand new and shiny Gampel dome, and everybody and their mother complained what an eyesore it was for a long time.

We owe everything we are as a university right now, so different from from our former university partners in the northeast, because of the big east conference and Jim Calhoun's successful installment of the will to win and be the best into the leadership at the university.

Otherwise, we'd probably still be playing Maine, UNH, URI, Richmond, Delaware, Villanova, etc.....right there on that same field.

hc-memorial-stadium-at-university-of-connectic-007.jpg

F

fortebleedsblue

They might regret tearing it down after all this conference realignment crap is said and done. It'd make a great venue for home games in our downgraded football conference.

Uconn home games vs.

Rhode Island (opener)
Ucf
Temple
Buffalo (OOC)
Memphis

Reaction Score
The rugby field was across the street where there is an upside down concrete tower now behind the Business building. Didn't Tom Jackson hate freebe hill? Lost revenue was most likely the driver but the partying also contributed to efforts to eliminate that area as a viewing option. The playoff game against Hampton was the moment that made me think we could play at a higher level and there was no reason we shouldn't be. Watching the team warm up that day, they were on a mission, great weather for football, not a sellout but a game that had meaning and was a sign of things to come.

Reaction Score
Three letters have been taken off the press box. Memories have been preserved. Can someone get one of those and sell me one??

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Spent two years in the UCMB doing the pre-game prance onto that always windy field. In another thread, I mentioned being caught by security on an early morning with 4 other guys as we hung a big political banner for our Student Senate campaign at the top of the stadium. Great memories.

When I was in school, the orchard was there behind the stadium and the baseball field and the soccer field were across the street with open tennis courts beyond them and Hawley Armory beyond that. The ice rink was brand new and was a big freezing hike from the Towers where I lived. The "new" library at the time was an addition to the real old Wilbur Cross library and where the Material Science building is beyond Jorgensen Auditorium was a big parking lot. That's why in those days hanging a sign atop Memorial Stadium worked because the top of the stadium could be seen pretty clearly from a pretty good chunk of the campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom