Down Goes 1 & 2 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Down Goes 1 & 2

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
How about we do both?
I imagine that a fair number of Purdue fans figured on keeping the #1 ranking after beating Nebraska. And Houston fans wished for a validating road win in Ames.

I watch & follow one game at a time, and put my psychic energy toward the coaches & players doing the same. For me, that's more fun and feels healthier.

In-conference road wins need all the support they can get, even from sources sources that seem less directly connected to what goes on in the arena on game day.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It's a good team and a good program. They play nobody OOC and until this year, play nobody in conference. So how good are they? Less good than their record suggests. They are a top 20 team. I don't think they are a top 5 team and top 10? Not sure.
The Goldilocks answer: it's a very good team, and a very good program. How good? This year, there will be more clues (data) than in previous years.

They've earned their place to be challenged by B12 competition, and now we'll see.

Reaction Score
Fan of the team for sure. Just wish the guy would stop wearing shirts that he still has from high school.
I was going to type this exact thing. Something about him is just so off-putting. He just has one of those hateable faces and the shirts he wears is hilarious

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
1000%, eh?
This kind of a boost likely emboldens @nelsonmuntz 's reckless use of questionable adverbs.

Here was his overnight attempt at a mic drop...
I think the word he should have been looking for is "slightly". It's slightly better than ours.

Reaction Score
I think the word he should have been looking for is "slightly". It's slightly better than ours.
Purdue’s resume is significantly better than ours right now. They have wins over NET #2,5,6,9,17. Our best wins are #10 UNC and #35 St. John’s.

They’re #2 SOS in both BPI and Kenpom. We’re #48/#134(!). It’s not really a close call.

So the extent 1000% better means “absolutely” better, I think that’s a fair assessment.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Purdue’s resume is significantly better than ours right now. They have wins over NET #2,5,6,9,17. Our best wins are #10 UNC and #35 St. John’s.

They’re #2 SOS in both BPI and Kenpom. We’re #48/#134(!). It’s not really a close call.

So the extent 1000% better means “absolutely” better, I think that’s a fair assessment.
In no way is it slightly better, lol. Don’t know why we argue silly things like this.
Good Lord people. If we have a top 5 resume then it's only slightly better. If we were 3-11 then it would be significantly better. I'd even buy a "clearly" but that's about as strong as it can be when you're essentially the next best team.

Reaction Score
Good Lord people. If we have a top 5 resume then it's only slightly better. If we were 3-11 then it would be significantly better. I'd even buy a "clearly" but that's about as strong as it can be when you're essentially the next best team.
Being ranked where we are ranked doesn’t mean we have that specific number resume…Houston doesn’t have the 3rd best resume, they were undefeated and predicted pre season to be a very good team. We have beaten UNC, Zaga, Texas. UNC is a great win, Texas was a good win, Zags was a good win too, but looking less and less good.

Purdue has beaten Tennessee, Marquette, Arizona and Illinois. All great wins.

This should help^

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Being ranked where we are ranked doesn’t mean we have that specific number resume…Houston doesn’t have the 3rd best resume, they were undefeated and predicted pre season to be a very good team. We have beaten UNC, Zaga, Texas. UNC is a great win, Texas was a good win, Zags was a good win too, but looking less and less good.

Purdue has beaten Tennessee, Marquette, Arizona and Illinois. All great wins.

This should help^
You've moved things to "well arguably better by a substantive margin," which exceeds "slightly" and falls pretty well short of "1000%."

The regularity with which posters overargue claims is what feeds the tendency for there to be elevated disagreement on what may well add up to minor matters.

Reaction Score
You've moved things to "well arguably better by a substantive margin," which exceeds "slightly" and falls pretty well short of "1000%."

The regularity with which posters overargue claims is what feeds the tendency for there to be elevated disagreement on what may well add up to minor matters.
Haven’t moved at all man. Their resume is 1000% stronger than ours. It’s not arguable, only if you have your blue tinted goggles on.

No need to try to teach a moral of the story type of thing. It’s very black and white.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Haven’t moved at all man. Their resume is 1000% stronger than ours. It’s not arguable, only if you have your blue tinted goggles on.

No need to try to teach a moral of the story type of thing. It’s very black and white.
Do you know what 1000% means? It's closer to 1% better than ours. It's not even 1000% better than whatever the worst team's resume is.

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Reaction Score
Do you know what 1000% means? It's closer to 1% better than ours. It's not even 1000% better than whatever the worst team's resume is.

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+
Okay, go that route.

Now you’re just arguing for the sake of arguing, you know exactly what I meant.

Weird.

Reaction Score
As I am wont to do, we can inject numbers into this conversation.

WAB (Wins Above Bubble) is a simple cumulative resume stat, and they have 4.8 WAB. We have 2.5. So their resume is just shy of 2x as good as ours. A win tonight would be worth around 0.6. By WAB, we have the 8th best resume. But we're the same distance from Purdue as to the 47th best resume.

I would consider them to have a significantly better resume.

Reaction Score

WAB (Wins Above Bubble) is a simple cumulative resume stat, and they have 4.8 WAB. We have 2.5. So their resume is just shy of 2x as good as ours. A win tonight would be worth around 0.6. By WAB, we have the 8th best resume. But we're the same distance from Purdue as to the 47th best resume.

Gracias mi Rey

Reaction Score
Our resume vs Purdue’s resume means absolutely nothing. Like nothing

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Thanks for data. Without it, I stalled at "substantively" instead of using "significantly."

I won't press for your assessment of whether it constitutes as "1000% better," and he can proudly wave his "1000%" flag on his victory lap. I can't hope to defeat a math-ignorant man in such an argument, and I won't speculate on what he thinks I've been saying.

Reaction Score
Thanks for data. Without it, I stalled at "substantively" instead of using "significantly."

I won't press for your assessment of whether it constitutes as "1000% better," and he can proudly wave his "1000%" flag on his victory lap. I can't hope to defeat a math-ignorant man in such an argument, and I won't speculate on what he thinks I've been saying.
You’re just saying a lot of words. You know what I was saying. You know what I meant. No meed to throw out a pointless word salad all the time. Just keep it simple sometimes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom