Doty and Faris replacements? | The Boneyard

Doty and Faris replacements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not a whole lot of data for me to go on here. Do any of the rest of you have enough knowledge of Eckmark and Chong to respond to this: from the little I have seen and read of the two "commits,"
seems like Chong could bring the fire-power ala Doty, and Ekmark could bring alot of the Faris game?

In reviewing some notes this morning, was reminded that Doty in high school not only WON her league championships in the shot putt and high jump (what a combination, eh?) as I knew, but also that she set league RECORDS in each, which I had forgotten. So, pre-injuries, she brought a whole range of athletic ability to the table in addition to the shooting touch. I believe she still holds the UCONN record for consecutive threes, set over a two-game stretch, and ending perhaps with her first serious injury here. Amazing when you think of all of our great shooters. At this point, her shot (along with her leadership) might be her best area, and I think she'll light it up this year with a very nice shooting percentage. Seems like Chong has similar fire-power in her arsenal.

Faris was seen as someone who, in high school, could score just about whenever she wanted/needed to, though she focused more on other aspects of her game and on her team's success, which was the stuff of legend. Apparently Ekmark has firepower but many other skills as well, but again not a whole lot to go on there.

Reaction Score
Don't know too much about Chong. I think TonyC would be the guy who has all the knowledge about her.
I have followed Courtney Ekmark for quite a while. Her Dad Curtis played 4 years of bball at Marquette U, and coached Courtney and St Mary's of Phoenix, Az to the mythical high school NC. Her team had 5 Div 1 signees inc. herself, and beat #2 Riverdal Baptist quite soundly with Court. scoring 26 pts. I would compare her with Kaleena in that they can both SCORE the bball, and both can light it up from 3. Geno usually doesn't recruit girls that far out, but all she wanted was to play at UCONN. No 1 in her class, turned down Stanford, Geno asked and she said yes. I think she is can't miss material and will get a bunch of minutes as a Freshman.

Reaction Score
Adding to slimmer56's precis of the first three years of Courtney's high school career, I'd mention that Courtney's team was not loaded with superstars, but 'out-teamed' every team they played against last season. The Connecticut coaches who saw her play thought she was "UConn-ready," meaning she didn't get an edge purely through physicality, but rather through playing like someone who understood the game.

Reaction Score
I just don't think you can shop for another Faris.
She's unique; not many high schoolers aspire to that degree of unselfish, out of the spotlight, tough, willing to do the dirty jobs kind of role.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I just don't think you can shop for another Faris.
She's unique; not many high schoolers aspire to that degree of unselfish, out of the spotlight, tough, willing to do the dirty jobs kind of role.

Not to mention she's incredibly athletic. More than a few times, Geno called her out by saying she might be his most athletic player, on a team that included Maya Moore.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
With all due respect for the original question, may we please focus on enjoying Kelly and Caroline this season - while we still can? I am going to miss them both hugely - for their skills and for their great personalities. They have contributed, and will continue to do so this season, a tremendous amount to the team.

There are banners in the rafters that would not be there without their help. I understand many posters like to look far ahead. I, for one, would like to enjoy this group while I still can. Geno will take care of the future (in Geno I trust!).

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I have dim memories of other "can't miss" future stars -- DelleDonne, Goring, Gemelos, Wolff, Walker, DeShields, Walters, the list goes on and on -- that it is not possible for me to focus on how well Rebecca Lobo's daughter will replace Ekmark seven years from now.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't look at Chong and Ekmark replacing Doty and Faris. First of all, Ekmark won't be at UConn until 2 years after Doty and Faris leave.

To me, Jefferson/Banks will pick up Doty's minutes, and Tuck/Stewart/Stokes will pick up most of Faris's minutes.

Reaction Score
I don't really see those comparisons at all. There will likely never be another Kelly Faris. She's not really a comparable player. You listed many of Caroline's athletic accomplishments, but Kelly is an even better athlete than Caroline was pre-ACL injuries. It is arguable that the most similar UConn player to Kelly Faris is actually Maya Moore.

The hallmark of Caroline's play hasn't been firepower, but rather her decision making and offensive discipline. She's a better passer than shooter, but isn't thought of that way. She handled playing against the press better as a college freshman than UConn's All-American point guard. From the beginning she played like a player that led both very good AAU and high school teams to success.

If I had to compare Courtney Ekmark to a recent UConn player in terms of who she plays like that player would actually be Lauren Engeln. Courtney is more talented, particularly as a shooter, and accomplished at the same age, which is reflected in her recruiting rankings, but there are many similar qualities in terms of size, athleticism, and style of play.

Chong has more in common with another NY guard in Bria Hartley than she does Caroline. Chong has the requisite combination of dribbling, shooting, and passing ability that UConn, but like Bria and some other UConn players has yet to really play with other really good players in a structured system prior to coming to UConn. The challenge for Chong will be learning to do the little things offensively and especially defensively that winning teams require that players like Faris and Doty learned prior to UConn. Playing disciplined, playing physically, setting screens, being effective off the ball, etc. Habits that are much easier to learn at a young age like a Courtney Ekmark has and is learning being coached by her father on an elite high school team.

Reaction Score
I have dim memories of other "can't miss" future stars -- DelleDonne, Goring, Gemelos, Wolff, Walker, DeShields, Walters, the list goes on and on -- that it is not possible for me to focus on how well Rebecca Lobo's daughter will replace Ekmark seven years from now.
Kibby.. You are being just silly about Ekmark being replaced by Siobhan Rushin for 2019. At 6'- 4 1/2", Siobhan will play at at the 5... until sister Maeve, who is two inches taller, arrives and Geno slides Siobhan to a combo wing role.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I readily concede the point about making a silly post in this thread.

My silly post was deliberate, since I was evaluating the future talent of players I have never seen play.

Reaction Score
Not a whole lot of data for me to go on here. Do any of the rest of you have enough knowledge of Eckmark and Chong to respond to this: from the little I have seen and read of the two "commits,"
seems like Chong could bring the fire-power ala Doty, and Ekmark could bring alot of the Faris game?

In reviewing some notes this morning, was reminded that Doty in high school not only WON her league championships in the shot putt and high jump (what a combination, eh?) as I knew, but also that she set league RECORDS in each, which I had forgotten. So, pre-injuries, she brought a whole range of athletic ability to the table in addition to the shooting touch. I believe she still holds the UCONN record for consecutive threes, set over a two-game stretch, and ending perhaps with her first serious injury here. Amazing when you think of all of our great shooters. At this point, her shot (along with her leadership) might be her best area, and I think she'll light it up this year with a very nice shooting percentage. Seems like Chong has similar fire-power in her arsenal.

Faris was seen as someone who, in high school, could score just about whenever she wanted/needed to, though she focused more on other aspects of her game and on her team's success, which was the stuff of legend. Apparently Ekmark has firepower but many other skills as well, but again not a whole lot to go on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom