Dorka? | The Boneyard

Dorka?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Do we know...for sure...whether she has arrived on campus?

Reaction Score
Looking forward to a great year from # 14. I loved the
Ramone music on Dorka's FIBA/Hungarian highlight
video. Will she be the " HIGH" or the "LOW" in UCONN's
High- Low offense? = a bit of BOTH! Best Wishes!!, Dorka!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
How many times did foul trouble for ONO and/or Ayleah actually present a size issue on the floor at times for UCONN last year.
I remember other, less talented teams cleaning our clock on the offensive boards and keeping them in the game.
Geno didn't see Piath was an option, perhaps rightly so since it takes "bigs" more time to get up to speed.
We have a lot of returning talent plus a few new wrinkles to throw at physical opponents.
I think Dorka might just be one of the last pieces of the puzzle. If she can bring the combination of height, strength AND shooting with her,
we might go all the way.

Reaction Score
I’m on the fence when it comes to Dorka, she could make a impact from day one like Westbrook, come off the bench like Z, or not see the court much like Butler.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“She’s all of 6-5 and she’s long and aggressive as hell. She’s fitting in nicely in a lot of ways,” Geno Auriemma said. “She can shoot the hell out of it and she’s really highly skilled. Just need to calm her down a little bit. She’s so excited about playing, being here. But I love her personality. I love that she brings a old school work ethic.”

Hmmmm. Calm her down. I guess she'll room with Nika.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
“She’s all of 6-5 and she’s long and aggressive as hell. She’s fitting in nicely in a lot of ways,” Geno Auriemma said. “She can shoot the hell out of it and she’s really highly skilled. Just need to calm her down a little bit. She’s so excited about playing, being here. But I love her personality. I love that she brings a old school work ethic.”

Hmmmm. Calm her down. I guess she'll room with Nika.
That quote by Geno is awesome. Lots of praise from Big G.

It’s better to have to calm a player down than to have to find a way to get her to play with energy

Reaction Score
And how often does "Big G" hand out that kind of praise? I'lll double down on my comments back in June after watching her highlight reel:

"I'm willing to wager, they'll be a horde of Husky fans, overjoyed we landed Dorka. These "highlights" simply reinforce what she's shown previously, great fundamentals, especially around the basket. Her ambidexterity in invaluable, and the European basketball background, where physicality is a basic tenant of the game, is just what we needed down low."
As far as a comparison to other bigs coming off the bench, and playing time - with her skill set, expect her to be on the court plenty, and that includes during crunch time:cool:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And how often does "Big G" hand out that kind of praise? I'lll double down on my comments back in June after watching her highlight reel:

"I'm willing to wager, they'll be a horde of Husky fans, overjoyed we landed Dorka. These "highlights" simply reinforce what she's shown previously, great fundamentals, especially around the basket. Her ambidexterity in invaluable, and the European basketball background, where physicality is a basic tenant of the game, is just what we needed down low."
As far as a comparison to other bigs coming off the bench, and playing time - with her skill set, expect her to be on the court plenty, and that includes during crunch time:cool:
Yeah, I think we will allow you to take a victory lap on that call especially if it holds up during the season.

Reaction Score
I’m on the fence when it comes to Dorka, she could make a impact from day one like Westbrook, come off the bench like Z, or not see the court much like Butler.
I understand the want to temper expectations. I think Dorka at WORST offers us a player with ability and legitimate post skill something we haven’t seen since maybe Phee or Morgan but with the size of Stef Dolson. A player we can throw to the block and come away with points something that we’ve been lacking these past few seasons no slight to Liv whatsoever.

Reaction Score
I understand the want to temper expectations. I think Dorka at WORST offers us a player with ability and legitimate post skill something we haven’t seen since maybe Phee or Morgan but with the size of Stef Dolson. A player we can throw to the block and come away with points something that we’ve been lacking these past few seasons no slight to Liv whatsoever.

Everything comes down to trust.
And there is one big difference between the 3 you mentioned and Dorka looking at stat lines. All three you mention can hit hit free throws. Dorka is a career 54% f/t shooter.

Can't have trust going against very good teams if she can't be relied upon to hit f/t's. It's tough enough vs very good teams to get close/good shot looks. The ones you do get - you have to take advantage. If you are a poor f/t shooter you can't be trusted.

Further- if you are losing and need to play catchup - unless you are able to stick 3's-- a big being unable to hit f/t's only limits her ability to contribute. Thus those close games (which won't be many) - others get the minutes and she sits.

However, IMO if she shows she is can hit f/t's and we know she has good low post moves- she'll be terrific. And if she is able to "double-down" offensively and also hit's 3's at a good rate then this UCONN team is potentially "beyond wow."

Reaction Score
How many times did foul trouble for ONO and/or Ayleah actually present a size issue on the floor at times for UCONN last year.
I remember other, less talented teams cleaning our clock on the offensive boards and keeping them in the game.
Geno didn't see Piath was an option, perhaps rightly so since it takes "bigs" more time to get up to speed.
We have a lot of returning talent plus a few new wrinkles to throw at physical opponents.
I think Dorka might just be one of the last pieces of the puzzle. If she can bring the combination of height, strength AND shooting with her,
we might go all the way.
Don't remember any games we lost due to rebounding. I do remember the ones we lost due to quick competitive guards. In any case, this year we have a loaded team with depth in all areas (with the possible exception of defensive guards, but even there I expect improvement).

Reaction Score
Everything comes down to trust.
And there is one big difference between the 3 you mentioned and Dorka looking at stat lines. All three you mention can hit hit free throws. Dorka is a career 54% f/t shooter.

Can't have trust going against very good teams if she can't be relied upon to hit f/t's. It's tough enough vs very good teams to get close/good shot looks. The ones you do get - you have to take advantage. If you are a poor f/t shooter you can't be trusted.

Further- if you are losing and need to play catchup - unless you are able to stick 3's-- a big being unable to hit f/t's only limits her ability to contribute. Thus those close games (which won't be many) - others get the minutes and she sits.

However, IMO if she shows she is can hit f/t's and we know she has good low post moves- she'll be terrific. And if she is able to "double-down" offensively and also hit's 3's at a good rate then this UCONN team is potentially "beyond wow."
ONO is a 55.8% free throw shooter. Doesn't seem like she's that much better to me, so maybe she shouldn't be trusted in close games either. The stats for other players mentioned don't matter because they're not in the mix now.

Now, for FG%, ONO is at 55.4% and 8.9% for 3 pointers (until 2021, she had never shot a 3. She shot 15 last year and made 4). Dorka is 47.2% for FG and 30.3 for 3's.

Maybe it's a wash, I don't know.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ONO is a 55.8% free throw shooter. Doesn't seem like she's that much better to me, so maybe she shouldn't be trusted in close games either. The stats for other players mentioned don't matter because they're not in the mix now.

Now, for FG%, ONO is at 55.4% and 8.9% for 3 pointers (until 2021, she had never shot a 3. She shot 15 last year and made 4). Dorka is 47.2% for FG and 30.3 for 3's.

As an aside, Edwards is 68.9% FG and has never shot a 3, but is 63.6% from the line. Perhaps she can be trusted.

Reaction Score

But Liv isn't trusted to score vs the very good teams, is she?. She's trusted to play defense. I'm going to make an assumption that Liv is a better defensive player that Dorka - I think Liv is a very good inside defender. And Aubrey is a better defender for more stretch defense vs pf's and centers that play a bit more perimeter offense. So if Dorka isn't quite a bit better offensively she won't get the bigger minutes/ jump Liv etc in big games. She'll potentially only get big minutes vs "twin towers" but she won't be someone that UCONN will want to get the ball to inside to unless she's very open. But not someone you could dump it to which was the context of my reply to the poster.

As for AE at 63.6% as a frosh - there's a good chance she'll improve. So yes - as a preseason prediction - she can be trusted more.

Reaction Score
But Liv isn't trusted to score vs the very good teams, is she?. She's trusted to play defense. I'm going to make an assumption that Liv is a better defensive player that Dorka - I think Liv is a very good inside defender. And Aubrey is a better defender for more stretch defense vs pf's and centers that play a bit more perimeter offense. So if Dorka isn't quite a bit better offensively she won't get the bigger minutes/ jump Liv etc in big games. She'll potentially only get big minutes vs "twin towers" but she won't be someone that UCONN will want to get the ball to inside to unless she's very open. But not someone you could dump it to which was the context of my reply to the poster.

As for AE at 63.6% as a frosh - there's a good chance she'll improve. So yes - as a preseason prediction - she can be trusted more.
You might be right. Perhaps ONO is a better defender than Dorka, but as you say that is an assumption. That was never in question based on your original goalpost in the comment I quoted which was all about free throw percentages, was it not? Defensive play on the inside is not something that is reflected in easily available (read free) stats, and I've honestly never seen Dorka play that much, so I'm not going to make any assumption.

What I do know is that the decision will be up to Geno, based on what he actually sees in practice and in on the court. There will be no assumptions. I personally don't have an axe to grind or a favorite to champion or defend. I simply want the best playing when it matters. Right now, the position is ONO's to defend and someone is going to have to take it from her if they want it. Let's see how she does.

Reaction Score
You might be right. Perhaps ONO is a better defender than Dorka, but as you say that is an assumption. That was never in question based on your original goalpost in the comment I quoted which was all about free throw percentages, was it not? Defensive play on the inside is not something that is reflected in easily available (read free) stats, and I've honestly never seen Dorka play that much, so I'm not going to make any assumption.

What I do know is that the decision will be up to Geno, based on what he actually sees in practice and in on the court. There will be no assumptions. I personally don't have an axe to grind or a favorite to champion or defend. I simply want the best playing when it matters. Right now, the position is ONO's to defend and someone is going to have to take it from her if they want it. Let's see how she does.

Are we arguing? I didn't think we were initially. But your post now to me - and your Edwards comment to me has/had me wondering. My comments are no different than anyone saying for example Dorka is underrated and she is going to surprise people. There is an implication with that type of post (or any that posters speculate will "surprise" as the thread mentions) that if she (or anyone else) is going to surprise people it means she is going to take away minutes from someone else.

There is speculation on here a lot including minutes, whether we play deep bench or go with more of a core, whether we press for near full game or work on halfcourt game etc. What teams some would like to see UCONN play and how to play them etc. This is why I love the Boneyard. I love these speculations. Even after games people speculate on what they would have done as a coach and who they'd like to see play more for specific reasons. I love reading all these different speculations. Are we / were we arguing? I hope not.

Reaction Score
I wasn't arguing with you, just expressing a difference of opinions. I said what I wanted to say with no anger implied or intentional, so I'm done with it.

Reaction Score
Digging deep in my DVR last night I found the Ohio State game from Nov 24, 19 vs Ohio State. I watched the first half after I deleted the Oregon and SC games. Dorka and ONO matched up for most of the 1st half. Some thoughts and observations:

They each had one block against the other in the first half
Dorka is thicker than ONO and not at all afraid to mix it up.
Ono plays straight up and Dorka leans in most of the time. When they were together standing upright it looks like Dorka is an inch taller. Hard to tell, but she is taller.
Ono might be a little bit quicker, but Dorka is not slow. She faked once and went around some UConn players a few times. She has quick hands and had a few assists.
Ohio State was a bit out of control offensively and threw up some poor shots. Dorka was part of it. The way UConn plays with quickness, ball movement, picks, and better shot selection will make her a much better player this year.
I don't know this for sure, but I think Dorka will be in the best shape of her career this season. It was an early season game and she subbed out early, then came right back in. Not making judgement on her fitness level,
Ohio State had more height and their rebounding was spread out. It seems like rebounds just go to Dorka. Good positioning, Height?
She is going to help a lot. Three season of Big 10 basketball & she is ready.

Other:
I miss Crystal and Megan

Reaction Score
we might go all the way.
and don't forget Amari I'm sure Geno will have her just focus on defense and rebounding this year

Reaction Score
we might go all the way.
Aaliyah.

Reaction Score
Digging deep in my DVR last night I found the Ohio State game from Nov 24, 19 vs Ohio State. I watched the first half after I deleted the Oregon and SC games. Dorka and ONO matched up for most of the 1st half. Some thoughts and observations:

They each had one block against the other in the first half
Dorka is thicker than ONO and not at all afraid to mix it up.
Ono plays straight up and Dorka leans in most of the time. When they were together standing upright it looks like Dorka is an inch taller. Hard to tell, but she is taller.
Ono might be a little bit quicker, but Dorka is not slow. She faked once and went around some UConn players a few times. She has quick hands and had a few assists.
Ohio State was a bit out of control offensively and threw up some poor shots. Dorka was part of it. The way UConn plays with quickness, ball movement, picks, and better shot selection will make her a much better player this year.
I don't know this for sure, but I think Dorka will be in the best shape of her career this season. It was an early season game and she subbed out early, then came right back in. Not making judgement on her fitness level,
Ohio State had more height and their rebounding was spread out. It seems like rebounds just go to Dorka. Good positioning, Height?
She is going to help a lot. Three season of Big 10 basketball & she is ready.

Other:
I miss Crystal and Megan
A video to watch of DORKA is to GOOGLE her FIBA highlights when
she was playing on the HUNGARIAN National Youth Squad. ENJOY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom