Dorka update | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dorka update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well Im a little more confident against ND. I dont think they can stop our shooters and will have to come out to guard us. Our ability to hit pull up jumpers is a huge asset. Aaliyah should attract alot of attention too. It wont be easy but given the fact that ND already had some problems controlling themselves the refs will be watching as to not have another incident. Nika and "The Griffs" defense can cause alot of frustration. As a team we arent where we want to be yet. Caroline looked great against Iowa and thats a big help and Dorka isnt back yet so we still have a ways to go but this has been a very exciting season so far and will only get better. I remember when UConn would come down on a fast break and the defense was back and KML was the trailor that hit the trey and it was a dagger. I see that coming on Sunday in the form of pull up jumpers.

Reaction Score
With Dorka, i like our chances against any team in the land. ND? Pfffft. MD? Pfffft. Tennessee? Pfffft. SC and Stanford? These will be really competitive games.

Without Dorka, I like our chances against any team in the land, but more of them will be really competitive games.

Reaction Score
Wait, what? As if Caitlin Clark's first step isn't quick? I mean, come on, Clark is a much better player than Miles so I have all the confidence in the world Nika will get under Olivia's skin and cause her to implode as I also hope happens with little Mabry-see her implode. :D
You and all your likes are unfortunately WRONG. You’re confusing ball handling and speed in the open court with the ball, with 1st step quickness. Clark is relatively tall, she is a lights out long range shooter which is her bread and butter, and last but not least she is an astounding ball handler and passer, and can change direction well while dribbling. Now a first step means you are holding the ball and a defender is right in front of you with one or both arms raised, how fast can you initiate your dribble, take your first step, and run around the defender without being called for traveling. Clark has an ok first step but it’s not a great one, Miles on the other hand does have a great first step. Sue Bird, Angel McCoughtry, Tamika Catchings, Diana Taurasi, Paige Bueckers all had great first steps. All you had to do was blink and they were already by you. Caitlin Clark has a great all around game but she is not faster off the dribble than Miles is.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
DePaul? Didn't they just lose to Townson right after beating #20 MD? Man, who knows what's up with this team.
That’s the mark of a good team. Winning games you can win, and winning games you’re supposed to win.

Reaction Score
You and all your likes are unfortunately WRONG. You’re confusing ball handling and speed in the open court with the ball, with 1st step quickness. Clark is relatively tall, she is a lights out long range shooter which is her bread and butter, and last but not least she is an astounding ball handler and passer, and can change direction well while dribbling. Now a first step means you are holding the ball and a defender is right in front of you with one or both arms raised, how fast can you initiate your dribble, take your first step, and run around the defender without being called for traveling. Clark has an ok first step but it’s not a great one, Miles on the other hand does have a great first step. Sue Bird, Angel McCoughtry, Tamika Catchings, Diana Taurasi, Paige Bueckers all had great first steps. All you had to do was blink and they were already by you. Caitlin Clark has a great all around game but she is not faster off the dribble than Miles is.
Speaking ONLY to the bolded comment .... I would not call 31% from 3 lights out. She certainly can make the long one but I would say her bread and butter is driving to the basket, mid-range and assists.

Reaction Score
Speaking ONLY to the bolded comment .... I would not call 31% from 3 lights out. She certainly can make the long one but I would say her bread and butter is driving to the basket, mid-range and assists.
She’s great at driving to the basket, but a first step is something quite different. I would say she is 31% from 22 ft to 35 ft. She is deadly from long range.

Reaction Score
ND is raDnked #7 in the AP poll. They are talented and hungry; the game is in South Bend. And Skylar Diggins would like to remind you she had UConn’s number when she was there
Didn't UCONN win ONE very very big game against Diggy baby, I kinda remember her crying on the sidelines when the game was done. I guess Skylar lost Uconns number for that game.

Reaction Score
Didn't UCONN win ONE very very big game against Diggy baby, I kinda remember her crying on the sidelines when the game was done. I guess Skylar lost Uconns number for that game.
That might have been in the NCAA tourney in Stewie's freshman year. That was the season they went 1-3 against ND, but the one win was the one that mattered most thanks to a big performance by Stewie I think she had 23 or 28 points in that game.

Reaction Score
That was then, this is now and Skylar Diggins is not playing. I believe our record against ND is 33W and 17 L,s. I believe we have a winning record in ND's home court so it is moot. I value all of your inputs, but this is my personal opinion. If you check my posts, you will note I said IOWA would mput up a valiant effort, but it wouldn't be enough. That was my feeling and it came true.
@HuskyNan's comment on Diggins winning a lot against Uconn probably was---don't be too complacent with ND, they may be down but not out. I was an ND's Men's fan for a long time. The Women only when they didn't play Uconn. However, ND--Uconn games were better than the UTenn/Uconn games (generally). I was never a fan of Diggins---there was a reason she didn't play for Uconn.

Reaction Score
I really liked Jessica Shepard. Class act. When AA ran her mouth at Geno in one of the games, JS apologized to Geno. Great kid I always though. Wish she had come to UConn.

Reaction Score
As far as ND. I'm not saying it will be a walk in the park without Dorka but I think it will be one of our more comfortable wins so far.

I believe Nika will contain Miles and frustrate her to the point where she goes periods of time ineffective. I think a technical is in her future.

Ebo has been their most effective big but she is not the fastest so Nika getting the fast break on with our more mobile bigs will neutralize her contributions.

I'll take the combination of Lou and Azzi over Citron and the smallest Mabrey any day. I also think a technical may be in Mabrey's future too....

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Well Im a little more confident against ND. I dont think they can stop our shooters and will have to come out to guard us. Our ability to hit pull up jumpers is a huge asset. Aaliyah should attract alot of attention too. It wont be easy but given the fact that ND already had some problems controlling themselves the refs will be watching as to not have another incident. Nika and "The Griffs" defense can cause alot of frustration. As a team we arent where we want to be yet. Caroline looked great against Iowa and thats a big help and Dorka isnt back yet so we still have a ways to go but this has been a very exciting season so far and will only get better. I remember when UConn would come down on a fast break and the defense was back and KML was the trailor that hit the trey and it was a dagger. I see that coming on Sunday in the form of pull up jumpers.
That's the way I see it Tony. We've already played better/tougher teams than ND, and passed with flying colors. I would bet my turban and cape that they are more worried about us than we are of them. Yes, they're 6-0, but they have not played a top 25 team yet, and only one game on the road (Northwestern). [ND Schedule] They play #20 Maryland today at home. This will be their first real test.

Their play tonight will speak for itself. They'd better DOMINATE the Terrapins on both ends of the court and win by double digits, because we're going to be a lot tougher match up than Maryland. We've got more shooters that can score than they do. We're much quicker than Maryland. We'll turn you over more than Maryland. UConn is playing "very well" right now also. This is not a good time to play UConn. :confused:

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I'll likely take a bit of flak for this but IF UConn beats ND that would be 4 wins against top 10 teams in 6 games. To me that should move them up in the rankings. Beating good teams should trump beating random mediocre or worse teams. For example Stanford (who is a very good team) played three cupcakes in Hawaii over the holiday for wins and lost to top 10 South Carolina. Yes it was close. No banana in my view. I also know at this point in the season it is irrelevant but is a thing of pride for a team. At the end of the season UConn will again be pasted as having a week conference (not nearly as true as it used to be). So why not the teams above UConn now.
Probably not at this level when all you play are lower ranked team. It is expected for us to win. A loss at this level will knock someone down but wins are same old same old unless you beat a higher ranked team.

Reaction Score

She def did not cry her eyes out. The was McBride

Reaction Score
As far as ND. I'm not saying it will be a walk in the park without Dorka but I think it will be one of our more comfortable wins so far.

I believe Nika will contain Miles and frustrate her to the point where she goes periods of time ineffective. I think a technical is in her future.

Ebo has been their most effective big but she is not the fastest so Nika getting the fast break on with our more mobile bigs will neutralize her contributions.

I'll take the combination of Lou and Azzi over Citron and the smallest Mabrey any day. I also think a technical may be in Mabrey's future too....
"Technically" I think you may be correct! A toast to the refs!! Have a good game.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I just hope that when she does return the the thumb does not impair her playing ability. She was doing great on both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
I just hope that when she does return the the thumb does not impair her playing ability. She was doing great on both ends of the court.
You right there .... Natalie Butler had a lot of trouble after her thumb injury. Took a long time to heal and she had a lot of trouble holding on to the ball afterwards. I think that torn ligament may have impacted her UConn career more than anything else. Fortunately Dorka's injury is not a ligament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom