Doooooomed! | The Boneyard

Doooooomed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
To perpetually seeking hourly updates on a static situation. I'm flashing back to Garrett Morris reading "Our top story tonight...".

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Thank god I'm not the only one consistently checking for updates. And here I thought I was alone in my lunacy and obsession.

Reaction Score
We are all deranged and obsessed but at least it speaks to how dedicated some UConn fans are!

Reaction Score
so theres four of us then? agreed? good, I was afraid I would have to start all the way over.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It's actually pretty sad... the situation basically hasn't changed much since the minute 'Cuse and Pitt announced they're joining the ACC. Everything else is just pointless speculation. Seriously some people need to relax... the sky is falling... except it's going to take what 2 or 3 years to fall depending on when 'Cuse and Pitt are allowed to leave the Big East?

The single biggest practical impact I think this will have is on recruiting.... you can bet the "Big East is going to lose it's BCS bid." crap is going to increase 10 fold.

I know this isn't exactly what the thread is about... but... whew... people need to relax a bit.

Our yeah... plus I check twitter hourly and am just as obsessed. :p

I'm just not going to crap all over everything...

Reaction Score
Thing is, Syracuse and Pitt weren't doing a heck of lot to help the BE keep its BCS bid. We could add UCF and Houston, and with TCU, be in better shape. So, it's really not a huge BCS issue if everyone hangs tight, but someone has to emerge as a leader and keep it together. There just isn't the will right now. Maybe in a month or two, if nothing happens between now and then. Susan is going to have to backtrack. Easy to do, just say "We will continue to do what is in the best interest of the entire university community and our student athletes, and right now and into the foreseeable future that means re-committing to a strong and vibrant big east conference, with our new partners, Temple, UCF, Houston, Memphis (I'm sorry - remember basketball), and ECU." Our new twelve member football conference. And that's 12/20 for content. Hello Comcast! EDIT: and F ESPN.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Thing is, Syracuse and Pitt weren't doing a heck of lot to help the BE keep its BCS bid. We could add UCF and Houston, and with TCU, be in better shape. So, it's really not a huge BCS issue if everyone hangs tight, but someone has to emerge as a leader and keep it together. There just isn't the will right now. Maybe in a month or two, if nothing happens between now and then. Susan is going to have to backtrack. Easy to do, just say "We will continue to do what is in the best interest of the entire university community and our student athletes, and right now and into the foreseeable future that means re-committing to a strong and vibrant big east conference, with our new partners, Temple, UCF, Houston, Memphis (I'm sorry - remember basketball), and ECU." Our new twelve member football conference. And that's 12/20 for content. Hello Comcast! EDIT: and F ESPN.

I agree. There is no leadership at all.

Reaction Score
i would rather have navy than memphis every day of the week and twice on saturday but i get the point

Reaction Score
I agree. There is no leadership at all.
It's obvious the current commissioner is in over his head. Twice the ACC has raided the Big East and leadership was clueless. When the first raid happened, Big East football teams were playing for national championships. The ACC wasn't going to let us dominate in basketball and football. Now they have knocked us down a peg again. Pitino is right, Syracuse and Pitt have done nothing in football for years. If you haven't already, read his post. http://www.rickpitino.com/rpitino/articledetail.aspx?ArticleId=2526&Id=47

The Big East can rebuild if the panic stops now. If a football guy as commissioner will bring trust all around then let's do it. As for replacements for Syracuse and Pitt, they will be easier to replace for football than basketball. Temple, Air Force and Navy have better football teams right now. And Temple has a good basketball program. But before these schools will join up, the Big East needs to show some solidarity.

I'll end with this: "The ACC must be destroyed!" Here's praying the SEC takes Florida State, Virginia Tech and Clemson soon. If that happens, the Big East should raid the ACC, go after Maryland, NC State and BC. Hey, I can dream, right.

Reaction Score
We'll just have to recruit like Utah (pre Pac-12) and Boise State. If things collapse, Id like to see all our sports stay in the Big East with football being a part of a BCS outcasts conference with all the top non-BCS schools. UConn, RU, USF, TCU, Boise State, UCF, Fresno State, etc.

Reaction Score
My name is SAMCRO, and I have a problem. It's been 7 hours since I last checked for updates on conference realignment, and ive been sleeping that entire time. Checked this board before I went to sleep, and as soon as I woke up. Pathetic.

Reaction Score
samcro im with ya buddy, the night after syracuse and pitt announced, i spent the whole night restless, tossing and turning because i was too nervous the whole realignment big bang had just gone off and uconn was going to get left out.

Reaction Score
Fortunately I haven't lost sleep over it, but it has definitely impacted my ability to stay 100% focused at work. I've fallen into this voyeuristic mindset where I am constantly hitting "refresh" on my computer every 20-30 minutes. I'm a weak, weak man.

Reaction Score
Sam, Marinatto looks very good in that stylish hat!. Anyway, I continue to believe that the best security at this point is in the knowledge that with the right mix of schools the BCS will not be able politically to expel the Big East come 2014. Not the Big East will be a great conference in 2014, simply that no one is going to have the stomach to do it. The question is: what is the right mix for greatest political impact? Navy? Army? One would think yes. Some research would be required as to where the greatest pockets of political will reside. In other words, who cares the most? And we do need to demote Marinatto.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
It's obvious the current commissioner is in over his head. Twice the ACC has raided the Big East and leadership was clueless. When the first raid happened, Big East football teams were playing for national championships. The ACC wasn't going to let us dominate in basketball and football. Now they have knocked us down a peg again. Pitino is right, Syracuse and Pitt have done nothing in football for years. If you haven't already, read his post. http://www.rickpitino.com/rpitino/articledetail.aspx?ArticleId=2526&Id=47

The Big East can rebuild if the panic stops now. If a football guy as commissioner will bring trust all around then let's do it. As for replacements for Syracuse and Pitt, they will be easier to replace for football than basketball. Temple, Air Force and Navy have better football teams right now. And Temple has a good basketball program. But before these schools will join up, the Big East needs to show some solidarity.

I'll end with this: "The ACC must be destroyed!" Here's praying the SEC takes Florida State, Virginia Tech and Clemson soon. If that happens, the Big East should raid the ACC, go after Maryland, NC State and BC. Hey, I can dream, right.

I just don't see the football/nonfootball model working. It's almost as if one is asking thge conference to serve two masters. Football schools have their needs and wants and they are different than the non football needs and wants. We can both agree that it has not worked well in the past so how can we expect it to work in the future? One can even say that Dave Gavitt knew it couldn't work. Football was always going to take a different road than basketball.

Right now, I simply want UConn in the ACC because it is the safest spot going forward. It would be a great hoops conference with a lot of our rivals. It isn't a good football conference but I think it is good enough to help grow our football program and one that we could become a major player as a member. I can't stand Swofford, though, and joining the ACC would be like taking a bite out of a sandwich. However, Swofford won't be around forever and when he's gone...

Ideally, yeah, I'd like to see some ACC teams defect and I'd love to raid the ACC and set up a new conference. It has to be football only though. I can't see the hybrid model working any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom