Dookie V doing his favorite thing.... | The Boneyard

Dookie V doing his favorite thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
He also said Rozier could be the next Wade. His ceiling doesn't sniff DWade.

Reaction Score
watching the same game and ESPN showed a list of top 5 all-time winningest coaches and apparently they dont think Calhoun at 877 is more than Rupp at 876. They had Coach K, Boeheim, The General, Deam Smith, and Rupp. no mention of Calhoun. Perhaps they are assuming Calhoun will lose some games when the UNC and Cuse sanctions come out.

Reaction Score
watching the same game and ESPN showed a list of top 5 all-time winningest coaches and apparently they dont think Calhoun at 877 is more than Rupp at 876. They had Coach K, Boeheim, The General, Deam Smith, and Rupp. no mention of Calhoun. Perhaps they are assuming Calhoun will lose some games when the UNC and Cuse sanctions come out.
I think Calhoun is behind Rupp, you may be counting vacated wins

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
That was the worst coach k slob segment he's done.

Yeah that's complete bullshlt. Even if he's not more than rupp he's one behind him. Complete

Reaction Score
I saw that as well. Complete joke. K may be a great coach, but it is hard to argue, even without Husky glasses on, that anyone was more of a program builder than JC, and maybe the greatest coach as well, given the tools he always had to work with. Dookie V does incredible work with all the cancer stuff, but they really need to put him out to pasture. Even HE knows what a shill he has, he twice prefaced effusive praise for K by saying " people may not want to hear this, but.....".

It's disgusting

Reaction Score
That was the worst coach k slob segment he's done.

Yeah that's complete bullshlt. Even if he's not more than rupp he's one behind him. Complete
How is it BS if they list the Top 5 winningest coaches and then they list the top 5? Jesus, the everyone gets a trophy generation is so sad.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I am actually very impressed with Terry Rozier - I think he's a great player.

Reaction Score
Austin%20Powers%20Dook.jpg

Reaction Score
I would challenge your description of that game as exciting. The Louisville program has gotten to the point where every game involving them is unwatchable.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Didn't watch the game or segment, but it's been 20 , 30 years of Dukie V sucking up to K, at this point I'd be disappointed if he stopped!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I saw that as well. Complete joke. K may be a great coach, but it is hard to argue, even without Husky glasses on, that anyone was more of a program builder than JC, and maybe the greatest coach as well, given the tools he always had to work with. Dookie V does incredible work with all the cancer stuff, but they really need to put him out to pasture. Even HE knows what a shill he has, he twice prefaced effusive praise for K by saying " people may not want to hear this, but.....".

It's disgusting
Dickie V has become more than difficult to listen to, but he is partly responsible for some of the popularity of NCAA hoops. His first 10 years or so, he was something different and his enthusiasm was infectious. He made games more exciting to watch. Unfortunately he decided he had to keep up-ing his shtick and become more important than the game. It's too bad - he was once a great announcer to listen to.

As for Coach K, anyone arguing he isn't one of the two greatest coaches of all time are simply biased. 2 wins from 1000, 4 National Championships and teams consistently in the top 5 year in and year out makes him one of the greatest. Recruiting is part of coaching. Trying to argue that his greatness is lessened because he always has top talent is missing the point that the goal is to win and if you can get better talent, it makes you a better coach. Sure, he hasn't had as much Tournament success in the last decade and a half as he had the decade before that, part of that can be attributed to UConn preventing him from winning another 2 NCs.

Every year before the season starts there are multiple threads about how Duke is over ranked and shouldn't be in the top 5; that the talent that has left isn't as good as the talent coming in. Yet every year he wins - he stays in the top 5 or at worst usually top 10. They beat highly ranked teams on the road. They play team ball and have consistently tough defense. They get top seeds.

I really believe there isn't another coach out there that could have done what Calhoun did at UConn and for that he's in the hall of fame. It's really tough to argue he is/was a better coach than K. Coach K did get the perfect marriage of program, league, timing and location but he took full advantage of that situation which by definition is a great coach.

1000 wins (soon), 4 NCs and 11 final fours in the modern era (64+ teams in the tourney) is impossible to top. It puts him to the argument of being the greatest mens college basketball couch of all time with Wooden and that's the end of that list. Hate him all you want, but give him the credit he deserves.

Reaction Score
Dickie V has become more than difficult to listen to, but he is partly responsible for some of the popularity of NCAA hoops. His first 10 years or so, he was something different and his enthusiasm was infectious. He made games more exciting to watch. Unfortunately he decided he had to keep up-ing his shtick and become more important than the game. It's too bad - he was once a great announcer to listen to.

As for Coach K, anyone arguing he isn't one of the two greatest coaches of all time are simply biased. 2 wins from 1000, 4 National Championships and teams consistently in the top 5 year in and year out makes him one of the greatest. Recruiting is part of coaching. Trying to argue that his greatness is lessened because he always has top talent is missing the point that the goal is to win and if you can get better talent, it makes you a better coach. Sure, he hasn't had as much Tournament success in the last decade and a half as he had the decade before that, part of that can be attributed to UConn preventing him from winning another 2 NCs.

Every year before the season starts there are multiple threads about how Duke is over ranked and shouldn't be in the top 5; that the talent that has left isn't as good as the talent coming in. Yet every year he wins - he stays in the top 5 or at worst usually top 10. They beat highly ranked teams on the road. They play team ball and have consistently tough defense. They get top seeds.

I really believe there isn't another coach out there that could have done what Calhoun did at UConn and for that he's in the hall of fame. It's really tough to argue he is/was a better coach than K. Coach K did get the perfect marriage of program, league, timing and location but he took full advantage of that situation which by definition is a great coach.

1000 wins (soon), 4 NCs and 11 final fours in the modern era (64+ teams in the tourney) is impossible to top. It puts him to the argument of being the greatest mens college basketball couch of all time with Wooden and that's the end of that list. Hate him all you want, but give him the credit he deserves.

Hang 'em

Reaction Score
He is just old and stale. He has been saying the same Diaper Dandy, PTP'er, Vitale Bald Dome Index, one eye jokes for like 25 years and it was cute at first but it has been old for a long time now, it is like he is stuck in 1992. His constant off topic commentaries are annoying as well. Stick to the game Dick. I'm not watching to hear you talk about the Yankees, Notre Dame Football, Tom Brady, other coaches. I don't think even Duke fans like him. I'll be a little sad when he hangs em up just because it is the end of a college basketball era but he just isn't good at his job.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
How is it BS if they list the Top 5 winningest coaches and then they list the top 5? Jesus, the everyone gets a trophy generation is so sad.
Does calhoun have more wins than rupp? Bc calhoun would be in the top 5, that's what I was responding to that the original post said they left out calhoun if he had more wins than rupp. No need to get butthurt over it

Reaction Score
Does calhoun have more wins than rupp? Bc calhoun would be in the top 5, that's what I was responding to that the original post said they left out calhoun if he had more wins than rupp. No need to get butthurt over it
Um, read what you wrote: Yeah that's complete bullshlt. Even if he's not more than rupp he's one behind him. Complete

now try again

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Um, read what you wrote: Yeah that's complete bullshlt. Even if he's not more than rupp he's one behind him. Complete

now try again
yeah meant to delete that after i wrote that and never did bc it made no sense

pj

Reaction Score

Wikipedia lists Calhoun 6th with 873. I'm sure ESPN just googled it and found Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_men's_basketball_coaches_with_600_wins

Reaction Score
When you compare the talent that JC had to work with vs K there's nothing to argue about. We've had many threads showing the numbers of McD's at the top schools and even though recruiting is a measure of success Calhoun always did more with less. I guess because of our conference situation the anoyment factor of this ESPN love fest just becomes less tolerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom