Don't patronize me Susan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Don't patronize me Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good point. We should stop promoting the athletic program altogether because we are unhappy about our conference situation.
not at all, but have people who can speak about it effectively doing it. Not this Rah Rah up school prep school crap. Here's a different approach...Warde Manuel goes on and discusses the Athletic Department's strategy for remaining at a high level in the new conference. What we're planning to do with scheduling. How the basketball training center fits. How the schools all committed to upgrade their programs in Dallas last week...Houston is expanding their stadium, SMU hired a legendary coach...There are things that Susan is good at but I don't think talking sports is one of them. I don't think she really knows much about it and I don't think she cares that much either. That in and of itself isn't a good or a bad thing. But don't go on the radio and let everyone know it.

Reaction Score
Time will tell about the effectiveness of Susan and Warde. You can't expect them to play their hands publicly. If they were 90% sure of cutting a deal with the B1G or ACC could they say it? What if it falls through? How would the partners in the NBE feel? You've got to know when to show them, know when to fold them... Just ask Kenny Rogers. Patience people. Everyone is too hyper/manic on this matter. I'm nervous about it too, but I don't let it consume me. I've had seasons' tickets for BBall and FB for 30 years. I'd like to continue to see quality games. I'm sure the Prez and AD are going to do what's right. Obviously, if they fail, their tenures here won't be long ones.

Reaction Score
I realize that some of you are a few IQ points away from qualifying for SSI, but Jesus, exactly what do you think she should say?

We are where we are and despite the fantasies passed off as possibility here, there's no soft-landing in sight.

Part of me would love to hear her come out and call the New New Big East a grease fire, but she can't. She says what she has to say and what she will say right up until the second she can say, thank God, we're leaving this athletic duck* hole for greener pastures.

First, Fish, not cool to throw out the r--t--rd card there. I have friends w/children in that boat.

Second, it's not so much what she is saying but more how she is saying it. One time in the NPR interview I could give her a pass. Now she's 0-for-2. This is a fight with deep implications for the financial future of her university. She has to convey that she's in a battle or leading one to find a that soft landing, marshalling all resources at her disposal. I bet if Donna Shalala was the UConn president she would not be as publicly passive as Herbst has been.

Reaction Score
True UConn fans will stick by the school no matter what.

I don't see anything wrong in what she said. That's the definition of a true fan as opposed to a fairweather fan.

Not really the right philosophy to take if you're the UConn athletic department - the idea when marketing a product for more successful gains/position is to understand what is required to get the passive fan over the line, to introduce new fans. You need a better product. I could care less if the "true fans" stick by - I am sucked into a program/franchise/sport when there is a buzz surrounding it. If Uconn trends towards irrelevance, like it's going backwards and it feels like the administration is doing nothing about it, then it will be d@mn hard to stay engaged despite whether you're a "true fan" or not. That inertia can be tough to reverse and revenue will correspond. So while it's great seeing the true fan remain loyal, that approach will result in a mid major. It's like Kellogs realizing raisin bran's old packaging will hold the true consumer, who is probably closer to dying off, rather than evolve.

Football feels stale as h#ll right now - losing undynamic football. I'm not going to a football game just because it's Uconn, I'm going to watch something that's entertaining to watch that has some buzz around it. And I'm likely in the masses.

The hardest part for Uconn marketing is that if the programs don't feel relevant, there are so many other options locally(pro sports, etc). You can become an afterthought quickly. When you live in Lincoln, Nebraska, you are limited. And the fact that Uconn programs have been on the upswing for so long now - now that it's all going in reverse, the spoiled effect is hard fend off.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I got attacked on this board when I pointed out, in the aftermath of Syracuse and Pitt leaving, that she seemed out of her depth and was making some very bad strategic moves. Fast forward 16 months, and Louisville, WVU, TCU, Rutgers and the C7 have found greener pastures while we are stuck on the short bus. I am pissed about where we ended up and how we got here, and I hold Herbst at lease partially responsible.

I will not freak out over an interview she gives. She didn't announce that we were made full members of the B1G last night. While upsetting, that was somewhat expected, at least for me. For those waiting for just such an announcement, you will probably be disappointed in every interview she or any other UConn president gives for the rest of your life. You should set your expectations for these interviews a little lower.

Nelson/Fishy/et. al.: President Herbst and the fanbase is far better off when she remains silent. If there is nothing positive to report conference affiliation-wise, President Herbst needs to wrap her lips around a rubber ball or muzzle herself. Simple. End of story. Why is this concept so difficult for some here to fathom?

Reaction Score
I don't think she really knows much about it and I don't think she cares that much either.
It's already been made clear she thinks of athletics as a "front porch" for a university... Do you ever look beyond your own wishful thinking?

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Not really the right philosophy to take if you're the UConn athletic department - the idea when marketing a product for more successful gains/position is to understand what is required to get the passive fan over the line, to introduce new fans. You need a better product. I could care less if the "true fans" stick by - I am sucked into a program/franchise/sport when there is a buzz surrounding it. If Uconn trends towards irrelevance, like it's going backwards and it feels like the administration is doing nothing about it, then it will be d@mn hard to stay engaged despite whether you're a "true fan" or not. That inertia can be tough to reverse and revenue will correspond. So while it's great seeing the true fan remain loyal, that approach will result in a mid major. It's like Kellogs realizing raisin bran's old packaging will hold the true consumer, who is probably closer to dying off, rather than evolve.

Football feels stale as h#ll right now - losing undynamic football. I'm not going to a football game just because it's Uconn, I'm going to watch something that's entertaining to watch that has some buzz around it. And I'm likely in the masses.

The hardest part for Uconn marketing is that if the programs don't feel relevant, there are so many other options locally(pro sports, etc). You can become an afterthought quickly. When you live in Lincoln, Nebraska, you are limited. And the fact that Uconn programs have been on the upswing for so long now - now that it's all going in reverse, the spoiled effect is hard fend off.

"Mid Major". That about captures everything about Connecticut's athletic situation, including its President and AD.

Reaction Score

UConn is in limbo. If fans are demanding more ("Do your best to get is in the ACC! Pronto! Or join the CYO7! Or else!) they will be invariably disappointed. She's basically saying, stick with UConn. Or else. Because there is no other option. If the fans abandon UConn now, then UConn will be abandoned. It's as simple as that.

Reaction Score
It's already been made clear she thinks of athletics as a "front porch" for a university... Do you ever look beyond your own wishful thinking?
That's just the same meaningless blather that she spewed last night. She should just be quiet. she clearly was not in a position to sell the new conference so why go on the radio and sound foolish with the statements she made? Simple as that.

Reaction Score
That's just the same meaningless blather that she spewed last night. She should just be quiet. she clearly was not in a position to sell the new conference so why go on the radio and sound foolish with the statements she made? Simple as that.

So how do you explain her push to water down academic standards for athletes?

Reaction Score
So how do you explain her push to water down academic standards for athletes?
What does that have to do with her ability or lack of same to sell the future of UConn athletics? And that was damage control, to the extent that it did in fact lower any standards.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
What does that have to do with her ability or lack of same to sell the future of UConn athletics? And that was damage control, to the extent that it did in fact lower any standards.

You wrote she doesn't care about athletics. If she were worried about academics, she would have raised standards, not lowered them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn is in limbo. If fans are demanding more ("Do your best to get is in the ACC! Pronto! Or join the CYO7! Or else!) they will be invariably disappointed. She's basically saying, stick with UConn. Or else. Because there is no other option. If the fans abandon UConn now, then UConn will be abandoned. It's as simple as that.

Thank you.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Because they don't agree??

If people can't see that promoting Memphis and the new Big East is bad strategy, then I don't know what else to say. Of all the issues debated on this board where reasonable minds can differ, I'm shocked that the intelligence (or lack thereof) of Herbst's statements on realignment has become one of them.

Reaction Score
If people can't see that promoting Memphis and the new Big East is bad strategy, then I don't know what else to say. Of all the issues debated on this board where reasonable minds can differ, I'm shocked that the intelligence (or lack thereof) of Herbst's statements on realignment has become one of them.
She has to make the Big East look as good as she can so that she can maximize revenues for the athletic department. This is Sports Marketing 101. I am sure she would be more than happy to go to the ACC or wherever else if the opportunity arises. Calm down.

Reaction Score
You wrote she doesn't care about athletics. If she were worried about academics, she would have raised standards, not lowered them.
Look she did damage control. She had to take some action to overcome the APR stuff and like this conference situation she came up with bogus solutions (Oh Look, now we're making the boys take classes over the summer). It was a pr move to counter the image problem from the negative APR stuff. And it was done to try and convince the NCAA to let us into the post season.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
She has to make the Big East look as good as she can so that she can maximize revenues for the athletic department. This is Sports Marketing 101. I am sure she would be more than happy to go to the ACC or wherever else if the opportunity arises. Calm down.

This defense of Susan was raised the last time she spoke up. Count me in the camp of those who don't believe that the propaganda from a president of a school left behind in a diminished to dying league is going to impact the negotiations for that "league's" TV contract. Or maybe I just failed Sports Marketing 101.

FWIW, I'm calm, though I am admittedly frustrated and disappointed in the leadership of our university as it relates to athletics.

Reaction Score
This defense of Susan was raised the last time she spoke up. Count me in the camp of those who don't believe that the propaganda from a president of a school left behind in a diminished to dying league is going to impact the negotiations for that "league's" TV contract. Or maybe I just failed Sports Marketing 101.

FWIW, I'm calm, though I am admittedly frustrated and disappointed in the leadership of our university as it relates to athletics.
I had my friends in college tell me I should have majored in sports marketing. She has to make what we have look as appealing as possible. We are where we are. The owners of the WWE (Vince McMahon and his wife) are ECU grads. They are probably excited. There is money behind the schools coming into the new incarnation of the Big East. Personally, I'd rather be in the ACC or B1G, of course. But that will require patience. Promoting is part of her job. If she trashes it, you think that'll help sell tickets or bring in more donations? We should be fine in the end. As long as our fans don't give up on what we have. We are key to keep what we have going.

Reaction Score

I'm thrilled with the prospect of taking on Memphis, Temple and Cincy in basketball twice a year over the next 2 years at least.

Reaction Score
I'm thrilled with the prospect of taking on Memphis, Temple and Cincy in basketball twice a year over the next 2 years at least.
I look forward to Larry Brown and SMU too.

Reaction Score
Look she did damage control. She had to take some action to overcome the APR stuff and like this conference situation she came up with bogus solutions (Oh Look, now we're making the boys take classes over the summer). It was a pr move to counter the image problem from the negative APR stuff. And it was done to try and convince the NCAA to let us into the post season.

It was done to bolster athletics. Call it a PR move, but have no doubt: it will increase APRs.

She could have easily taken the Harvard route (i.e. increased admission standards), but as well know, the Harvard route may place more emphasis on academics, but it does NOT increase APRs (Harvard was below the APR threshold last year).

Why did she lower academic standards then when she could have made an even bolder PR statement by upping admissions standards?

Reaction Score
Butch, you keep saying that people want her to trash the new Big East but nobody is calling for her to do that. Her performance was abysmal and it was clear that she didn't have a clue about some of the things she said. Merely repeating talking points someone else prepared for her and not doing it particularly well. Nobody, least of all the University of Connectucut's President, believes that Memphis, Temple and Houston (and ECU) are our peer institutions. No need to try and convince us otherwise. There was absolutely no need for the president of the University to appear on Sportstalk, especially when she had nothing to say, and given her lack of in depth knowledge on the subject, neither was she the best person to be "promoting" the new league. Sometimes it is better to do nothing than to do something badly. That's all. Leave the promoting stuff to others. her next public appearance on anything to do with athletics should be accepting another NCAA title, announcing a new head coach or our entrance into a new conference. Otherwise, just stay home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom