Don't mean to start a men vs women thing, but... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Don't mean to start a men vs women thing, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyJohn

Popular poster
Reaction Score
UConnChapette[/SIZE said:
I am female, over 40 (heck, over 50). I spent the first 12 years of my life in Southern California. I played softball for many years. I LOVED running more than just about anything, and beat the boys regularly throughout elementary school, and not by a nose either. I beat them badly. I was fast, so much so that my 7th grade gym teacher was suggesting I get a track coach and started looking into setting me up with one. Then - my father ruined my life and destroyed my dreams by getting transferred to the middle of nowheresville. Nebraska for cripes sake! Track coaches don't live in Nebraska! My most fervent dream was to run the 100 and 200 meters in the Olympics - but it was not to be. Even if I HAD a track coach (and assuming I could have competed against the likes of Evelyn Ashford and Valerie Brisco-Hooks), the 1980 Olympics were boycotted.

My parents encouraged my participation in sports.. And I love to watch most sports today. I have no interest in American Idol or So You Think You Can Dance. My sister had no interest in sports (she liked music and ballet) To this day, she doesn't watch sports - except the Super Bowl. But she loves AI and SYTYCD. Our interests from childhood followed us into adulthood. So, there may be something to your assertion.

3 days to the Olympics! Can't wait!!!
]

A very interesting story. Although these topics are and will continue to be controversial, everything I’ve read leads me to believe that what we become is a complicated nature/nurture interaction. In most all areas we have inherent predispositions about health, abilities of various kinds, etc. which can be altered significantly by our life experiences. You clearly had a special athletic talent which instilled dreams at an early age. I have to wonder if your interest in sports would be as strong if you lacked athletic ability and received no recognition and encouragement.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I have to wonder if your interest in sports would be as strong if you lacked athletic ability and received no recognition and encouragement.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
I have to wonder if your interest in sports would be as strong if you lacked athletic ability and received no recognition and encouragement.

- You can say that again! ;)
- Seriously, I enjoyed Chapette’s perspective which, as always, seems germane. I too found HuskyJohn’s thoughts (complicated interaction) particularly compelling [Thanks to you both!] .
- Like others, I am not sure yet lack of buying tickets reflects a woman’s lack of participation in sports...
- Personally, I like to think we spent a lot of time introducing our daughters to playing sports, not watching them.
- For whatever the reason, now in their mid-twenties, they do.
- They certainly pay entry fees for road races and equestrian events, and pay plenty for all the horse publications, tack, Runners World, gym membership, etc… but generally just don’t watch sports (aside from infrequent MLB-game dates, or TV figure skating) unless they are there actively supporting another buddy in an event.
-On the other hand they do watch American Idol,… so heck, I dunno, Chapette. I suppose it could stem from being piano players/music lovers, but I’ve been writing that off as just good old mindless entertainment.
-I certainly would not want any of that to change (OK, maybe the AI part), and so far, doubt I could have done much to make them WCBB fans/ticket buyers today, unless as kids, they had picked BBall as one of their favorite sports, instead of picking the others.

Reaction Score
Reading through this thread I am struck by how much individual variation trumps any gender stereotype. But then any group with about half the human race as members is likely to have a certain amount of variation.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Your points are your opinion from your perspective. Mine is different and probably a lot simpler and closer to reality.
And with this rather breath-taking conclusion, I hereby declare this thread officially dead, although that's not necessarily the first adjective that came to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom