Dont Give Up Now | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dont Give Up Now

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
In the Texas game when Paige came out and Q came in and hit a couple of shots and the team seemed to respond. We erased a huge deficit and were down 6 pts before the no calls and the ticky tac calls. What happened with Paige on the bench? The Texas defense didnt adjust to Paige not being in the game and UConn started to play BB without looking for Paige. Our team took it upon themselves to play their game and with Paige out we looked like a different team. We will learn from this. Having our girls step up with Paige out might have been a step on the right direction.
I totally agree. As I alluded in another thread, Geno said a couple of years ago that when Paige was on the floor, players spent too much time watching Paige and waiting for her to do something. I was afraid of that happening this year. I hope they get over it.

Reaction Score
As a fan, I can neither give up or keep going, that's up to coaches and players. I just watch them and hope.
The biggest mistake than can be made is planning on Azzi and Caroline to ever be major contributors ever, unfortunately.
It also seems to be wishful thinking that top recruited players are going to develop into All Americans if they have really bad starts to their careers and then can't get in the games. Brilliance and talent are visible from the get go.
Some of our freshman have shown some flashes and will be interesting who contributes with more PT.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Let us take account of the fact that two of the losses were in true road games, and one was on a neutral court. In two cases, the team that beat UConn was ranked higher than UConn at the start of the game. Most importantly, it is quite reasonable to speculate that this year's Final Four may consist of South Carolina plus the three teams that have beaten Uconn thus far. Of course, teams like USC, Iowa and LSU may have something to say about that, but it would not be a surprise if my guess turns out to be correct: a Final Four consisting of South Carolina, NC State, UCLA, and Texas.

What happens if UConn goes into the NCAA Tournament with only 4 losses -- the three that they already have plus South Carolina? I would guess that would earn them a 3-seed, and a chance not to play any of these teams again until the Elite Eight. Of course, they would have to beat a very good team such as USC / Iowa / LSU / Ohio State in the Sweet Sixteen to get that far.

Much depends on what happens in the next week against North Carolina and Louisville. On paper, UConn (even in its present weakened state) should be favored in both of these games. If they are able to win them, then I think South Carolina is the only remaining team on their schedule to whom they are likely to lose. I don't see Notre Dame or Creighton beating UConn, even if Ayanna and Caroline are still not available when those games are played.

Reaction Score
It may make us better fans: it's an uncomfortable feeling watching 'not to lose' as opposed to 'every win counts'. I admit, with UCWBB I've been watching them 'not lose' for 25 years.

Reaction Score
It looks dark now but I`m predicting we go into the NCAA tournament with A Big East Championship and no more than 5 losses. It won`t always be pretty, but the wins are going to start stacking up.
Much as I hate to say it, IMO there is virtually zero chance we’re going the rest of the season with two losses! Let’s face it, SC is an almost guaranteed loss, we will almost certainly lose one of NC and Louisville, (we may lose both), then Notre Dame is, at the very least a tossup, and we will likely lose at least one conference game! I think we are likely looking at a minimum of 7 losses, and possibly 9! Right now, I have serious doubts that we can beat any of the teams I just mentioned and getting through the conference with only one loss seems questionable as well!

We have two, now that Aaliyah seems to have come out of her funk, consistently productive players and one of them (Paige) doesn’t look quite right, in spite of the fact that she is leading the team in scoring. We have two other upperclassmen who are either consistently low scoring (Nika) or so inconsistent that her two most recent scoring lines have been 20 and 0! (This is not uncommon either as she has also had a 1 point game this season) I say this not to be mean but to show how Geno cannot have any idea as to what he is going to get from this team. Finally, we have our four freshmen who, it must be said, all have shown great promise. However, they are not at a level where they can be counted on to score a certain number of points. That’s it! That is our team! I like them all and have great optimism that they will all be good players but it’s going to take some time! While I obviously hope I’m wrong, right now we should not be worrying about our win/loss record but rather that we see observable progress each game win or lose!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Has the subject of Paige's left thump no longer being heavily taped during the Texas game ever been brought up? This has to be good news, right?

Reaction Score
Plenty of talent on this team, but I dont think it's enough to win a National Championship. Too many teams this year that are bigger, faster, more talented, and better than Uconn.
This team is just having a bit of trouble adjusting to the injuries etc. They'll be in the mix for the tournament and I wouldn't count them out as long as Paige stays healthy. She just needs a few more games to get back up to where she was before she got hurt.

In the meantime...I've got a season ticket so I can see the Creighton-UCONN game on Jan. 3 in Omaha. That'll be interesting to watch because the Jays scored over 100 points on Sunday and blew out Northern Iowa. As good as they looked Sunday they also got blew out at home by Green Bay. A couple of the Jays had back warmers strapped to their lower backs in the warmups so that may have been why.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Plenty of talent on this team, but I dont think it's enough to win a National Championship. Too many teams this year that are bigger, faster, more talented, and better than Uconn.
I don't see any of the current teams very much above UCONN. It's early season and teams are mostly up and down.

Reaction Score
Tony

I was hoping you would post and I appreciate your take.

I think we have to accept that with the injuries, the lack of height and the inexperience, we will experience a UConn season quite different with what we have all become accustom to.

Some of the fan base will squeal and complain, some will drop out, all of small import.

What is important as I have noted in the post game report is the toll on Geno and the staff, and their reaction.

I am willing to be philosophical, my big question is he?

Is he (and his staff) willing (at this stage of his career) too serve as a guide to a group that he is unlikely to be able to progress to that of the top rank...and to accept that unlikely role with good humor and humility.

For me, that is the crux of this season's issue...and will to some extent define his legacy.
Not sure what you mean by "philosophical." GBut Geno is going to demand UCONN to give effort and play to their capabilities that he feels they can achieve. Keep in mind Creighton made the E8 two years ago. That's going to be his philosophy. If they play well and aren't good enough I'd be suprised if he goes after them vs his past power teams. If they don't play well, I expect Geno to be Geno.

Geno and in general elite coaches just keep charging forward but have some sort of recogniation what a good game is for them.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
may be paige need to switch to "Caitlin Clark" mode
Just so everyone grasps the depth of her game:

Caitlin Clark averages 7.9 assists per game as per ESPN

Reaction Score
I totally agree. As I alluded in another thread, Geno said a couple of years ago that when Paige was on the floor, players spent too much time watching Paige and waiting for her to do something. I was afraid of that happening this year. I hope they get over it.
One of the many double messages from Geno. He has also stated very clearly that the ball should always find the best player/shooter on the team. Often resulting in screens after screens for the same player.

Reaction Score
... Often resulting in screens after screens for the same player.
Valid point.

However, only works when the defense has to at least respect other options. As we saw last game, with over-under doubles (or even triples), with weak-side help, they were ineffective. Led to turnovers, illegal screens, and gave the defense consistent opportunities to bang on the rub.

Goes to the point the analyst made in the video - much more effective with the ball in her hands where she can make her own shots, or draw the double/triple and pass, with better court vision than everyone else on the floor.

Reaction Score
I think Geno needs to find a consistent pull up shooter. Ice, Nika, and Griffin are not that player. Someone is needed to shoot off a screen or create a mid-range shot that they can make consistently. I don't care if that player is Ines, pressure has to be lifted from Paige and Aliyah. I am old school and hate to see 30 3 point attempts with low percentage of success.
What I miss is the "post" move Gabby and Napheesa used. After receiving a pass, they would take one dribble across the lane and go up for a left hand layup.
The team is going through a rough stretch right now, but IMHO they will learn and profit from it.

Reaction Score
I would consider this team to be extremely fortunate if they only had 5 losses this season.
Agree. I think they have 5 losses by end of year, including 0-1 start against Big East. I don't think this team can beat Marquette. Never thought I would say that! But I don't think they can. Hope I'm waaaaaaay wrong. So far, I have been pretty close in my progonostications. I predicted a sweet 16 exit last year.

I'm all for the rah rah rah, but not one to wear rose colored glasses or sticking my head in sand. We have a LOT of that here on the board.

This team is not very good. Slooooow. Texas just torched them with speed. Nika especially. Probably worst team Geno has put on floor in 35 years. It is what it is.

I agree with someone else in this thread when they said this could define Geno's legacy (to some extent anyway.)

Geno has done some amazing coaching in the past, here's hoping he has some tricks in his bag still....

Reaction Score
Agree. I think they have 5 losses by end of year, including 0-1 start against Big East. I don't think this team can beat Marquette. Never thought I would say that! But I don't think they can. Hope I'm waaaaaaay wrong. So far, I have been pretty close in my progonostications. I predicted a sweet 16 exit last year.

I'm all for the rah rah rah, but not one to wear rose colored glasses or sticking my head in sand. We have a LOT of that here on the board.

This team is not very good. Slooooow. Texas just torched them with speed. Nika especially. Probably worst team Geno has put on floor in 35 years. It is what it is.

I agree with someone else in this thread when they said this could define Geno's legacy (to some extent anyway.)

Geno has done some amazing coaching in the past, here's hoping he has some tricks in his bag still....
Gen’s legacy is already defined! Here’s a clue, he is on the very short list of the greatest coaches who have ever lived! This team, whether it struggles or soars, will have no effect on his legacy. That is long since secured!

Reaction Score
It wasn't so long ago that we were looking at this team during their early summer practices, having our first look at the freshmen, and feeling incredibly optimistic about the 2023-24 season. Looking at UConn then, I felt that there were three characteristics would be key to our success and the possibility of a 12th title. They were (1) excellent outside shooting, with Paige and Azzi as two of the best shooters in the country, along with Caroline, which would prevent teams from doubling any one player and opening up the floor to negate bigger lineups; (2) more depth in the frontcourt, with Ice, Aubrey, Jana, and Ayanna competing to team up with our potential All-American, Aaliyah; and (3) seemingly unlimited depth that would allow Geno to utilize a variety of lineups and apply defensive pressure for 40 minutes.

Flash forward six months and things look a lot different. Two players are out for the season, Caroline looks like she's still snake-bitten with injuries, and Ayanna has yet to play. UConn has three losses by December 3rd, is ranked 17th and some UConn fans are yelling that the sky is falling. I get that it might feel that way but it seems to me that there is a lot of time and a few reasons to think that the season might still turn out okay.

The first thing to remember is that the success of the season is determined by how well we are playing in March, not November. This is easy for UConn fans to forget, given how accustomed we have become to wire to wire dominance. The second is that a lot of our early problems are due to turnovers and sloppy play. Not an altogether surprising result with the four freshmen pressed into unexpected situations because of injuries, and new lineups still not able to play sustained UConn-level defense (not to mention a brutal early schedule).

Ironically, I think many of the same keys to the season are the same, which just will have to get there a different way. Can Ayanna or Ice develop quickly enough to shore up our frontcourt and help out Aaliyah? Will our outside shooting be supplemented by Q or Shade? Will the freshmen develop quickly enough to fill the holes left by injuries to more experienced players and give us, not just depth, but some scoring and defense? I don't know the answers, but I don't think the cupboard is bare yet. We still have a player of the year in Paige; an All-American level big in Aaliyah; a lot of talented players who can still step up to support Paige/Aaliyah; and, oh yeah, the best coach in the business. I don't know if we will get there (there being in the Final Four and in the running for title 12), but I'm looking forward to the ride.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom