Dont Give Up Now | The Boneyard

Dont Give Up Now

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This isnt what we all expected this season and now there is frustration and disappointment not only amongst the fans but the coaches and team too. The positives many of the non starters are getting some experience and will be better for it. As of right now I expect Caroline not to play this season and if she comes back thats great. No disappointments for feeling that way. I mentioned this in other threads, that we have the weapons to win a NC however theyre sitting on the bench. Hopefully they will be back next season and ready to go. Now all Geno and his coaches can do is teach train and develop the kids that can play. They will improve and they will get better. For now we should cheer them on for their accomplishments and encourage them while they take on this difficult task. We can complain about everything that doesnt go the way we expect. I see posts about other freshman playing so good and why didnt UConn get them. Thats an easy question to answer. They went elsewhere for many reasons and why not UConn because they would be playing behind Paige Azzi and Caroline. Another question is about why doesnt UConn get more bigs? Thats an easy question too. Jana is injured, Dorka graduated, Yanna and Caroline are out hurt. How many good bigs are there out there 6'5 and over. We have two Jana and Amari. Jana is injured and Amari is not ready. We can talk about Amari all we want and how she needs to play but the coaching staff isnt playing her and they know the reasons and we dont. Geno went overseas to get Jana because there werent many top bigs in the US. Personally I thought we had Boston and Cardoso and why they went to SC I dont know for sure. Another question why cant Griff and Aaliyah score more points. Thats another easy question. Our shooters are on the bench and defenses pack it in so they cant score inside. Bottom line everything we're not this season is due to our injuries. We correct that by getting our freshman up to speed and thats what the coaching staff is doing now. It takes time.

In the Texas game when Paige came out and Q came in and hit a couple of shots and the team seemed to respond. We erased a huge deficit and were down 6 pts before the no calls and the ticky tac calls. What happened with Paige on the bench? The Texas defense didnt adjust to Paige not being in the game and UConn started to play BB without looking for Paige. Our team took it upon themselves to play their game and with Paige out we looked like a different team. We will learn from this. Having our girls step up with Paige out might have been a step on the right direction.

The rest of the season could be trying times as we grow and learn as a team. We and the coaching staff arent used to this. On paper we are a top 2 team thats what makes it so hard. This is our third year of key injuries to top players especially our top scorers. With all the injuries will we ever be what we thought we would be when everybody gets back? We now have to play players without college experience and they are learning on the go. We have some players on the floor that are not scorers which makes it harder on Paige and Aaliyah because defenses can over play them. Understand with the developing of our newbies its gonna get worse before it gets better. Once are newbies begin to take it upon themselves to score like they did in high school things will begin to look better. Anytime you have to change the way you do things to the way you should be doing them and learning a new system it takes time before it becomes reflexive and you dont have to think about what your doing or what your suppose to do.

Over the next few games we will be going through growing pains. It wont be easy but in the end it will be worth it. Change is difficult sometimes, but we cant keep doin what were doin and think the results will change, they wont. We have to change and thats what Geno and the coaching staff will be working on with the team. Right now its about getting the players we have to play as a team. We still have great talent we just need to all get on the same page.

Reaction Score
One of the unfortunate consequences of losing is that things become magnified. Now people are criticizing Geno for some of the things he says about players. Wake up people. He has been saying these things for the past thirty years. We are playing the top teams in the nation without a true center, two starting guards, and a core of players who were already fragile before the season started. Hopefully as the season progresses we will have a group of bench players who will prove themselves capable of stepping up. If not, I seriously doubt Uconn will drop women's basketball because of a sub-par season.

Reaction Score
One of the unfortunate consequences of losing is that things become magnified. Now people are criticizing Geno for some of the things he says about players. Wake up people. He has been saying these things for the past thirty years. We are playing the top teams in the nation without a true center, two starting guards, and a core of players who were already fragile before the season started. Hopefully as the season progresses we will have a group of bench players who will prove themselves capable of stepping up. If not, I seriously doubt Uconn will drop women's basketball because of a sub-par season.
Agree with most of what you said but who is saying UConn is going to drop WCBB?

Reaction Score
It looks dark now but I`m predicting we go into the NCAA tournament with A Big East Championship and no more than 5 losses. It won`t always be pretty, but the wins are going to start stacking up.
I agree. Once they rattle off a few W's in a row- player and fan morale will change. But it feels like they'll never win again. Ha!

Reaction Score
This isnt what we all expected this season and now there is frustration and disappointment not only amongst the fans but the coaches and team too. The positives many of the non starters are getting some experience and will be better for it. As of right now I expect Caroline not to play this season and if she comes back thats great. No disappointments for feeling that way. I mentioned this in other threads, that we have the weapons to win a NC however theyre sitting on the bench. Hopefully they will be back next season and ready to go. Now all Geno and his coaches can do is teach train and develop the kids that can play. They will improve and they will get better. For now we should cheer them on for their accomplishments and encourage them while they take on this difficult task. We can complain about everything that doesnt go the way we expect. I see posts about other freshman playing so good and why didnt UConn get them. Thats an easy question to answer. They went elsewhere for many reasons and why not UConn because they would be playing behind Paige Azzi and Caroline. Another question is about why doesnt UConn get more bigs? Thats an easy question too. Jana is injured, Dorka graduated, Yanna and Caroline are out hurt. How many good bigs are there out there 6'5 and over. We have two Jana and Amari. Jana is injured and Amari is not ready. We can talk about Amari all we want and how she needs to play but the coaching staff isnt playing her and they know the reasons and we dont. Geno went overseas to get Jana because there werent many top bigs in the US. Personally I thought we had Boston and Cardoso and why they went to SC I dont know for sure. Another question why cant Griff and Aaliyah score more points. Thats another easy question. Our shooters are on the bench and defenses pack it in so they cant score inside. Bottom line everything we're not this season is due to our injuries. We correct that by getting our freshman up to speed and thats what the coaching staff is doing now. It takes time.

In the Texas game when Paige came out and Q came in and hit a couple of shots and the team seemed to respond. We erased a huge deficit and were down 6 pts before the no calls and the ticky tac calls. What happened with Paige on the bench? The Texas defense didnt adjust to Paige not being in the game and UConn started to play BB without looking for Paige. Our team took it upon themselves to play their game and with Paige out we looked like a different team. We will learn from this. Having our girls step up with Paige out might have been a step on the right direction.

The rest of the season could be trying times as we grow and learn as a team. We and the coaching staff arent used to this. On paper we are a top 2 team thats what makes it so hard. This is our third year of key injuries to top players especially our top scorers. With all the injuries will we ever be what we thought we would be when everybody gets back? We now have to play players without college experience and they are learning on the go. We have some players on the floor that are not scorers which makes it harder on Paige and Aaliyah because defenses can over play them. Understand with the developing of our newbies its gonna get worse before it gets better. Once are newbies begin to take it upon themselves to score like they did in high school things will begin to look better. Anytime you have to change the way you do things to the way you should be doing them and learning a new system it takes time before it becomes reflexive and you dont have to think about what your doing or what your suppose to do.

Over the next few games we will be going through growing pains. It wont be easy but in the end it will be worth it. Change is difficult sometimes, but we cant keep doin what were doin and think the results will change, they wont. We have to change and thats what Geno and the coaching staff will be working on with the team. Right now its about getting the players we have to play as a team. We still have great talent we just need to all get on the same page.

Plenty of talent on this team, but I dont think it's enough to win a National Championship. Too many teams this year that are bigger, faster, more talented, and better than Uconn.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tony

I was hoping you would post and I appreciate your take.

I think we have to accept that with the injuries, the lack of height and the inexperience, we will experience a UConn season quite different with what we have all become accustom to.

Some of the fan base will squeal and complain, some will drop out, all of small import.

What is important as I have noted in the post game report is the toll on Geno and the staff, and their reaction.

I am willing to be philosophical, my big question is he?

Is he (and his staff) willing (at this stage of his career) too serve as a guide to a group that he is unlikely to be able to progress to that of the top rank...and to accept that unlikely role with good humor and humility.

For me, that is the crux of this season's issue...and will to some extent define his legacy.

Reaction Score
It looks dark now but I`m predicting we go into the NCAA tournament with A Big East Championship and no more than 5 losses. It won`t always be pretty, but the wins are going to start stacking up.
I would consider this team to be extremely fortunate if they only had 5 losses this season.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Tony

I think we have to accept that with the injuries, the lack of height and the inexperience, we will experience a UConn season quite different with what we have all become accustom to.

Some of the fan base will squeal and complain, some will drop out, all of small import.

What is important as I have noted in the post game report is the toll on Geno and the staff, and their reaction.

Is he (and his staff) willing (at this stage of his career) too serve as a guide to a group that he is unlikely to be able to progress to that of the top rank...and to accept that unlikely role with good humor and humility.

For me, that is the crux of this season's issue...and will to some extent define his legacy.
I think Geno's legacy has been defined for years. Each new season is just gravy.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of fans that Geno needs to play the Freshmen a lot more. If he is to have any chance of making a good tourney showing then the freshmen need to make big strides . These big strides will only happen if they get the court time. Who cares if we have 5 losses or 10 losses at this point. This team can not get it done without the help of the freshmen come March. If the freshmen dont make the leap then at least Geno tried. "Better to try and fail then not trying at all

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
No more than 5 losses before New Year's?

Reaction Score

@Tonyc If I am ever in a situation where things seem hopeless, I hope I get you taking my call. Great perspective, my friend.

Reaction Score
Tony

Only time will tell. If he continues to lash out at players in public (his best players) that might be a pretty good indicator. It is going to be a very long (perhaps very disappointing) season and it's going to take a serious toll on him ... it's already taking it's toll on him. That's very unfortunate and so undeserving. But life has it's ups and downs, and I think he will come to grips with that and simply make the best of it.

Reaction Score
Hard to argue with any of this
The specific examples of poor defense were
Spot on
Comments about GA were interesting

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tl:dr.

I think this team is actually playing to it's level of ability. But because so many people have hyped the level of talent on this roster last year and this year way too high, those same people think something must be "wrong" and needs to be "fixed". And that's putting way to much pressure on Paige. I feel badly for her. She's not getting paid enough for that.

Reaction Score
I sure hope you’re right but Villanova, Marquette, Creighton and maybe even ST. John’s are probably very encouraged going in to Big East play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom