Don't forget Allie | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Don't forget Allie

Reaction Score
At the risk of sounding ungrateful or churlish, I have to say, the point guard play on the US U 19 team was imo, shockingly poor. PGs are supposed to get the ball to shooters and/or other players in position to score. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen more wild, out of control drives into a crowd! To be fair, they often scored or were rescued by Kitts, Edwards, Booker, or Van Slooten and obviously brought home the gold but it sure wasn’t pretty. They were simply more physically talented than most of the other teams!

I suppose I’m going to be accused of favoritism here but it was truly shocking how many times I saw a PG (all of them) completely ignore (or not see) our Allie with no one within 12 feet of her and rather than passing it to the wide open, best three point shooter on the floor, try some wild reverse left handed scoop shot in the middle of three players 6 inches taller than them!

Obviously, I’m happy for the US team and was certainly impressed by some of the players. Edwards, Kitts, Booker, Van Slooten were all extremely impressive but the play at the point was pretty rough. Hidalgo, though equally afflicted with the reluctance to pass, nevertheless showed that she may be a real treasure for ND. They are going to have a serious PG duo there between her and Miles! Anyway, rant over! I’m proud they won and especially happy for our Allie! Seventeen! The basketball world is her oyster!

Reaction Score
At the risk of sounding ungrateful or churlish, I have to say, the point guard play on the US U 19 team was imo, shockingly poor. PGs are supposed to get the ball to shooters and/or other players in position to score. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen more wild, out of control drives into a crowd! To be fair, they often scored or were rescued by Kitts, Edwards, Booker, or Van Slooten and obviously brought home the gold but it sure wasn’t pretty. They were simply more physically talented than most of the other teams!

I suppose I’m going to be accused of favoritism here but it was truly shocking how many times I saw a PG (all of them) completely ignore (or not see) our Allie with no one within 12 feet of her and rather than passing it to the wide open, best three point shooter on the floor, try some wild reverse left handed scoop shot in the middle of three players 6 inches taller than them!

Obviously, I’m happy for the US team and was certainly impressed by some of the players. Edwards, Kitts, Booker, Van Slooten were all extremely impressive but the play at the point was pretty rough. Hidalgo, though equally afflicted with the reluctance to pass, nevertheless showed that she may be a real treasure for ND. They are going to have a serious PG duo there between her and Miles! Anyway, rant over! I’m proud they won and especially happy for our Allie! Seventeen! The basketball world is her oyster!
Agreed, Allie had the statistical disadvantage of trying to be a good role playing team member, while many of her teammates were looking for the limelight. Almost all of them will need to adjust their game and attitude substantially at the next level. Rice and I think maybe one other player were already in college, but most will not be immediate stars as freshmen, or the first offensive option as they are used to.

Allie may have deferred a little as one of the younger team members, and a player not heading next to college but coming back for her final HS year. But I see it more as someone who had a good grasp of her role, and tried to play it, despite the lack of team play by many teammates. In the long run her approach will serve her well, and in some ways one of the youngest appears to be more mature.

Reaction Score
Didn't they cut Kelis in the last round and left them with almost no true PGs? It seemed like they only had combo guards.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Most, if not all, of these kids haven’t even started college yet so you’re basically watching high school games. The players are so enormously talented, their high school coaches probably told their teammates, “Give [the star player] the ball and get out of their way”. So, the kids are playing the way they’ve most likely been allowed, which is lots of one on one stuff. It’s not their fault, it’s what they know how to do. Once they get into college, their style of play will most likely change

As a side note, that’s why Geno loves coach’s kids. They cut the college learning curve down tremendously

Reaction Score
Most, if not all, of these kids haven’t even started college yet so you’re basically watching high school games. The players are so enormously talented, their high school coaches probably told their teammates, “Give [the star player] the ball and get out of their way”. So, the kids are playing the way they’ve most likely been allowed, which is lots of one on one stuff. It’s not their fault, it’s what they know how to do. Once they get into college, their style of play will most likely change

As a side note, that’s why Geno loves coach’s kids. They cut the college learning curve down tremendously
All 5 starters plus Londynn Jones have a year of college ball behind them. Other than Lepolo and Ziebell, the rest of the guards don’t understand ball movement and Taylor let them do what they wanted.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
All 5 starters plus Londynn Jones have a year of college ball behind them. Other than Lepolo and Ziebell, the rest of the guards don’t understand ball movement and Taylor let them do what they wanted.
Wow, I lost a year somewhere. I could have sworn Chloe Kitts, for example,was just coming out of high school.

I still maintain every game I see looks like a high school/AAU game. Lots of ball-hogging and one one one play with flashes of showing off.

IMG_1432.jpg

Reaction Score

The whole starting 5 played in college for a season, as well as some of the bench players. Rice, Van Slooten, Kitts, McMahon, LaPolo and Jones all played last year. Could be forgetting some.

Reaction Score
I thought Hidalgo played really good in the second half. Not perfect, but made game-winning plays. A nice block, steals, the deflection that stopped them from getting a shot off, transition passes, some drop off passes, a transition pull-up and a 3.

Reaction Score
Wow, I lost a year somewhere. I could have sworn Chloe Kitts, for example,was just coming out of high school.

I still maintain every game I see looks like a high school/AAU game. Lots of ball-hogging and one one one play with flashes of showing off.

View attachment 90012
I agree. Many of them including the most experienced players still play like they’re in a McDonalds all star game. Shows their lack of progression at the college level.

Reaction Score

View attachment 90012

Chloe Kitts enrolled early to SC. Although limited, she has some college under her belt.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Hidalgo, though equally afflicted with the reluctance to pass, nevertheless showed that she may be a real treasure for ND.

Hannah certainly likes to call her own number a bit, but she did finish 2nd in the tournament in assists and 1st in assists/40 min with a 2.9 ast/turnover ratio.

Then again, I once watched Sonia Citron play in the U19 world cup with Caitlin Clark at the point, so I understand the frustration of rooting for a spot-up shooter to get a pass from a scoring-minded point guard.

Reaction Score
Hannah certainly likes to call her own number a bit, but she did finish 2nd in the tournament in assists and 1st in assists/40 min with a 2.9 ast/turnover ratio.

Then again, I once watched Sonia Citron play in the U19 world cup with Caitlin Clark at the point, so I understand the frustration of rooting for a spot-up shooter to get a pass from a scoring-minded point guard.
Hidalgo actually did a good job throughout the tournament looking for Allie. The rest of them, however...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom