Don't count out Mike Nebrich | The Boneyard

Don't count out Mike Nebrich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know Rich posted this in the thread about the film of the incoming class, and I agree with him.

I know highlight tapes don't tell the whole story, but I watched his HS film again and I was really impressed. Of the QB's last year he showed the best feet, by far the best drops, and he throws with nice zip and good accuracy.

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out with Nebrich, Whitmer, and Cochran.

Reaction Score
The only one I havent seen live is Whitmer. Cochrane is soooo accurate. But I'm hoping Nebrich steps up. I don't know if he grasped the offense as well as Johnny Mac.
But we've got spring ball and camp. Competition is a good thing.

Reaction Score
So is McCummings gone? maybe a transfer before spring game? or maybe a change of position like tight end .

Reaction Score
So is McCummings gone? maybe a transfer before spring game? or maybe a change of position like tight end .

I think everyone expects McCummings to fill the same role he did this year. The coaches plan to continue to use the wildcat.

Reaction Score
Really pretty predicable if were to ask me. seems like your wasting the kids talent.

Reaction Score
I agree..even if he doesnt win the starting job he can make the wildcat absolutely LETHAL

Reaction Score
Whitmer is the clear leader at this point. Same as Tyler L, he didn't come here to hold a clipboard. Of course things could change but the job is Whitmer's to lose.

Reaction Score
I think everyone expects McCummings to fill the same role he did this year. The coaches plan to continue to use the wildcat.

So he gets in the game for 3 plays? Guess that makes it easier on his conditioning program. Heck, I could probably do that and I train on Bud.

Reaction Score
Whitmer is the clear leader at this point. Same as Tyler L, he didn't come here to hold a clipboard. Of course things could change but the job is Whitmer's to lose.

Hopefully, he DID come here to improve the passing game. That'd be one thing in his favor.

Reaction Score
I don't think there is any question that Whitmer is the favorite right now. And I also feel very confident that Cochran will redshirt. Unless he is head and shoulders better than everyone else, and I think that is doubtful, a 5th year senior is always better than a true freshman. I wonder if McCummings will be moved somewhere, I could see him as a tight end or maybe a nasty strong safety. Nebrich will be pretty interesting to follow. My personal view is if the staff thought he was ready to take over, they would not have gone for Whitmer, but who knows. They might have simply felt we needed another quarterback to keep the pressure on him. Or they might have wanted him to get the redshirt year he missed back. Whitmer having 3 years of eligibility is a little unusual, too. I'm not sure if they liked that or it was a case of the best option who just happened to have 3 years.

Reaction Score
Pasqualoni didn't give Nebrich a fair shot last year. It seems even less likely this year.

Reaction Score
Pasqualoni didn't give Nebrich a fair shot last year. It seems even less likely this year.

There's so much we do not see or understand as fans. Trust me, if coach P didn't like something he saw that prevented him from giving Nebrich more playing time, we wouldn't know. Sometimes it's just a confidence thing, I would have liked to see Nebrich get more time a take his lumps, but it didn't happen. I think Whitmer will win the job, wouldn't be surprised if Mac gets an early nod and Whitmer takes over shortly there after. I'm really excited about this year, can't wait.

Reaction Score
From what I've heard, with Whitmer throwing the ball around at the facility, he has a WAY better arm than anyone else that's on the roster. I'm pretty excited about him.

At the end of the day I think there is enough talent (and experience) here now, and I trust that PP can make the right call and we can be significantly improved.

I don't care who wins the job...as long as we end up with a quality QB back there.

Reaction Score
I think the addition of Shane as QB coach is really going to help our QB's and the wr transsfers along with Smith's return and we should see good things, concerned about depth at the TE position.

Reaction Score
Geez, let's hope. This whole QB thing can't, CAN'T, be as continuously difficult as UConn has made it appear.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I would love to see SM as an H-back. He can run, block, and throw an occasional option pass. Unless he became a lot more accurate, I don't see him as a QB and would rather MN get the 5-10 snaps a game as the spread QB. Would also.like to see CC redshift unless he is the clear No.1.

Let everyone compete but, my pre-spring depth chart would look like this.

CW,MN, JM, CC (rs)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Here's hoping the staff waits to get the kids get a playbook, attend a meeting or 2, put on the pads and hold a few workouts before setting the depth chart.

Last spring, everyone loved Johnny Mac because he threw an accurate ball. He was the hero after every spring game on this board. Last fall, everyone complained that the 3-headed monster was holding us back, up until their personal favorite became 2 or 3, and then it was simply unfair. I've heard PP and GD called a lot of things - unfair to the kids they are developing has never been one of them.

This is 1A ball, and that means to be successful you need 2 or 3 guys at every position who can go in and play at a high level. Just because we brought in highly rated kids does not mean the start. And throwing a nice spiral in gym shorts with no defenders around has not proven to be a recipe for a success here.

Kids go to SEC schools not because they are afraid of the challenges, but because they thrive on them. Players elevate themselves when there is competition on a roster not when jobs are handed to them. Listen to PP's discussion about the kind of kids they look for on signing day - he said, you want to see the character of a kid, watch him when things are not going well for him, watch him when things are not going well for the team. That's when you learn about a player. This spring should show us a lot about the character of the 3 returning QBs and help shape the depth chart.

Reaction Score
There's so much we do not see or understand as fans. Trust me, if coach P didn't like something he saw that prevented him from giving Nebrich more playing time, we wouldn't know. Sometimes it's just a confidence thing, I would have liked to see Nebrich get more time a take his lumps, but it didn't happen. I think Whitmer will win the job, wouldn't be surprised if Mac gets an early nod and Whitmer takes over shortly there after. I'm really excited about this year, can't wait.

That's the double secret probation analysis. Coaches are human, they have blind spots, they have favorites, they can be stubborn, they make mistakes. Pasqualoni got caught like a deer in the headlights against Vandy. He then doubled-down on a bad decision. IMHO, it's really that simple.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
That's the double secret probation analysis. Coaches are human, they have blind spots, they have favorites, they can be stubborn, they make mistakes. Pasqualoni got caught like a deer in the headlights against Vandy. He then doubled-down on a bad decision. IMHO, it's really that simple.
Why are you so convinced that he would willingly shoot himself in the foot? That's what makes no sense. He's been around the block. He know's the only thing that matters is getting the W. Why is it so hard to consider that, maybe, we just had 3 QBs who weren't "the man"? We can sit here and guess that a switch would have been better, but we weren't at practice - it's entirely possible that a switch would have either changed nothing, or maybe even been worse.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Why are you so convinced that he would willingly shoot himself in the foot? That's what makes no sense. He's been around the block. He know's the only thing that matters is getting the W. Why is it so hard to consider that, maybe, we just had 3 QBs who weren't "the man"? We can sit here and guess that a switch would have been better, but we weren't at practice - it's entirely possible that a switch would have either changed nothing, or maybe even been worse.
Sorry to keep beating a dead horse. I'll stop now. Only focused on who our QB will be going forward, and hopefully with more production.

Reaction Score

I don't think he shot himself in the foot on purpose. I do think he dug in his heels. It happens.

He certainly did NOT give Nebrich the opportunities he gave Mac. And this was after preaching for months that the only thing that mattered was production. It's possible nothing would have changed but since the season was a disaster. Why give the kid a chance -- like he promised.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
So he gets in the game for 3 plays? Guess that makes it easier on his conditioning program. Heck, I could probably do that and I train on Bud.

In what game did McCummings ever play only 3 plays? He gets 10-15 snaps a game, and I'd expect that to go up slightly next year. I think he'll throw "a little" more out of that look to make it really dangerous.

Reaction Score
From what I've heard, with Whitmer throwing the ball around at the facility, he has a WAY better arm than anyone else that's on the roster.

That just made my day. 7 months to UMASS.

Reaction Score
He made a play call. it didn't work out. It happens. In hind sight it was a bad call. if Edsall's call against Pitt had been stopped short, he is an idiot for calling a running play at on 4th and 4 at his own 29. Everyone knows you punt from there, or throw if you are dumb enough to go for it. it worked. he was a gutsy hero. the USF game a few years ago is another example. USF quarterback runs a bootleg on 4th down inside the UCONN 10 and gets nailed. Our guy doesn't play it perfectly, and the USF coach is a genius. As it was, their fans are saying "What is he thinking?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom