Donovan Clingan Highlights | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan Highlights

Reaction Score
He has to deal with Kalkbrenner and Mutumbo soon. Keep working hard and hey I'm glad he's a Husky

Reaction Score
Quick twitch looking a bit better... Certainly a nightmare for undersized bigs. Passing ability looking good against high skill opposition. Trending well. :)

Reaction Score
Moves well for a guy that big. Pretty smooth. Goes over both shoulders. Eats up a lot of space.

Reaction Score
A lot is made of his Bristol Central munchkin competition, but I'm not sure that that hasn't made him a better player in the long run. Surrounded by gnats he has been forced to keep the ball high and pass out of double and triple teams, and judiciously put the ball on the floor. He was MVP of the Pittsburgh AAU event with probably a third to one half of the top 100 kids playing, and in this NBPA Top 100 Camp the competition included 11 other top players 6'10 or greater, and a bunch of 6'9 support cast double teaming him. With AAU and these camps, I think he has had plenty of exposure playing other high major bigs. He'll likely have plenty of rough spots like most freshman big men, but I'm betting on him. Castle referred to him as the GOAT, and I bet he will have recruiting value to entice top wing players that the foundation is here to chase deep NCAA runs. Griffith and Bowen I hope are positively influenced by Clingan and Karaban here. I haven't given up hope with them vs PC and covet Griffith's shooting. Also don't underestimate the benefit of Donovan just setting picks a la Jake.

Reaction Score
Looks like he's dropped a decent chunk of weight and is moving better. Maximizing his athletic ability is going to be key for him, so this is a great sign that he's ready to come in here and put in the work. Pumped to see what he can do here.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Some nice highlights posted here. Kid has so much potential.

Did they have a no dunking rule? We've been clamoring for Adama to dunk the ball in close instead of taking 2 foot jump shots and hooks. If that flick showed us anything, it was that Donovan has the same mindset.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Some decent post moves. Moves ok, footwork isn't bad and he can finish. Still a bit lumbering from a footspeed perspective. Would have been nice to see what kind of midrange shot he has or more passing. I expect passing both out or from outside to cutters, will be important for him.

Wasn't impressed with the defense. That needs a lot of work. He's blocking shots flat footed and doesn't have very good timing on most of them. I think that's why Dan commented on it. I think that's going to limit him quite a bit this year. All stuff he can learn. Sanogo got much better pretty quickly.

Reaction Score
Gotta love the Boneyard, from the same highlight video

Love to see Donovan get up and dunk consistently. We've been missing that for a while now.

Did they have a no dunking rule? We've been clamoring for Adama to dunk the ball in close instead of taking 2 foot jump shots and hooks. If that flick showed us anything, it was that Donovan has the same mindset.

Reaction Score
Skill at 7’2” is a nice Amazon smile four star package.

Plenty to work on but just try to imagine what that will look like in a couple of years. Whew. And how many 7’2” fives stars are out there? I get how we all want our guys to possess what they don’t yet have but just cut some slack and enjoy Donovan’s growth here.
It’s not like he was trailing on the breaks, he runs and will get stronger and run harder.
Immediately we get a rim protector who can pass and hit the close ones.
Liked the quick secondary jump as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hopefully Newton is more adept at getting the ball war needs to be for alleyoops. That’s some thing Donovan should be able to take advantage of from day one. I’d like to see us looking for Jackson on that too.

Reaction Score
Highlight video and all but very encouraged by how he looked against better competition. Got position down low, able to finish from either block and with both hands. Uses his size to rebound rather than solid position and boxing out which will be a big issue against the Big East, but overall takeaway from this is that he can definitely contribute in shorter bursts this year

Reaction Score
He's got some nice moves and decent touch, but will take some work. I don't see him getting more than spot minutes this year.

Defensive instincts leave a lot to be desired, a lot of blocks simply by virtue of being tall, not sure how well that will translate.

For a highlight video, there were a lot of missed bunnies (which he followed with his own rebound and putback), which makes me wonder about what wasn't in the video.

But a top 50 in-state kid at his size, we have to take him and see what the staff can do. Hopefully more Travis Knight than Justin Brown.

Reaction Score
Are these highlights from the NBPA Top 100 camp? The one that happened last summer? Always interesting to read what people think they see in these highlight tapes.

Reaction Score
Are these highlights from the NBPA Top 100 camp? The one that happened last summer? Always interesting to read what people think they see in these highlight tapes.
I’m pretty sure it is because i’ve seen some of those clips before already

Reaction Score
Yes, I have no idea why they're just now being posted to YouTube and social media. I understand why people think these are brand new because that seems to be how they're presented but they're from last summer.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
A lot is made of his Bristol Central munchkin competition, but I'm not sure that that hasn't made him a better player in the long run. Surrounded by gnats he has been forced to keep the ball high and pass out of double and triple teams, and judiciously put the ball on the floor. He was MVP of the Pittsburgh AAU event with probably a third to one half of the top 100 kids playing, and in this NBPA Top 100 Camp the competition included 11 other top players 6'10 or greater, and a bunch of 6'9 support cast double teaming him. With AAU and these camps, I think he has had plenty of exposure playing other high major bigs. He'll likely have plenty of rough spots like most freshman big men, but I'm betting on him. Castle referred to him as the GOAT, and I bet he will have recruiting value to entice top wing players that the foundation is here to chase deep NCAA runs. Griffith and Bowen I hope are positively influenced by Clingan and Karaban here. I haven't given up hope with them vs PC and covet Griffith's shooting. Also don't underestimate the benefit of Donovan just setting picks a la Jake.

images

Reaction Score
Oh so these highlights are almost a year old?

Reaction Score
I think the toughest transition from HS to college position wise is at Center, especially for those who didn't play at the Prep/Nationally ranked team level. You can see tendencies where he relied on height that wouldn't fly with legit D1 teams. I know it wouldn't typically be put in a highlight video but would definitely like to see more clips showing off court vision/passing/offense more than 5 feet from the rim. But I'll also agree with Nomar's post too...

Reaction Score
I'd really like to know how many fouls per game he averages, if that number is even available. that's a huge issue for all bigs making the transition, especially with how awful officiating is. this dude is huge, hope he just keeps his hands straight up and doesn't pick up any cheapies

Reaction Score
Heard a lot of mixed reviews on this kid, but looks like he's got soft hands and solid footwork. He doesn't look like he's lumbering running up and down the court either. I'd say that's a nice foundation for any big man.

have to agree with this. it's so hard to find a big with a pulse sometimes. this makes his floor that much higher....even if he doesn't average groundbreaking numbers, he still looks like a willing big man with some feel for the game and how to use his size. that'll play on any team.

I think the toughest transition from HS to college position wise is at Center, especially for those who didn't play at the Prep/Nationally ranked team level. You can see tendencies where he relied on height that wouldn't fly with legit D1 teams. I know it wouldn't typically be put in a highlight video but would definitely like to see more clips showing off court vision/passing/offense more than 5 feet from the rim. But I'll also agree with Nomar's post too...

not sure when/how often he'll get the chance to show off his passing chops this season....i've at least read that he looks cumfortable slinging the rock. there is certainly going to be a learning curve with him, i'm sure we'll see some games where he can just lean on his height, and then some other games where he looks a little outmatched. he'll definitely have some 2 fouls in 2 minutes games. he's rolling into a great situation at least, gets to backup and guard in practice an all conference player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom