Donovan Clingan commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Excited Pumped Up GIF by Lil Jon

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This is one game I didn't get around to watching earlier this summer. From Memorial Day Weekend

11 PTS
6 REB (2 offensive)
5 AST (4 potential/ 1 foul)

1 TO
0 STL
4 BLK

5/7 2FG
3FG
1/2 FT

• His team plays A LOT of zone to protect Donovan from fouls from the smaller guys. That will be an adjustment. We’ll definitely need to scheme to protect him from quicker players blowing by him on defense. No blitzing the screen… possibly zones.
  • I don’t think he’s much of a shooter at all yet, but the form doesn’t look bad. I think it’s possible with a year or two work.
  • Passing is clearly his best attribute. Probably a better passing big than we’ve had in years on day 1… maybe ever by the time he’s done. Have we ever had a big who could pass it well? He sometimes is looking for the pass TOO much instead of just slamming the ball as soon as he touches it.
  • Post-up skills are not advanced… very limited. Doesn’t have a good feel for how to use his body and create angles. Doesn’t even know how to get his shot off a lot of the time. Seems to me like dunks and working on a jump shot are probably his best bet on offense. Work on developing basic post up package to start. I just want to see a jump hook with the right hand and an up and under counter. I hope Sanogo is around in 2022 to kick his ass in practice down low.
  • FT form doesn’t look bad. Seems to be shooting around 60% in games I’ve seen. I think that should increase with reps and high quality coaching at the college level.
Rebound
Mikey Williams, Chris Livingston, and WACG vs. Donovan Clingan and Team Spartans

GREAT pass for poster
Mikey Williams, Chris Livingston, and WACG vs. Donovan Clingan and Team Spartans

Potential assist

Potential assist

Board

Missed long 2

Rebound? TO? I can’t tell… just calling it a block after.

TO

Missed post up

Board and an assist

Board

I think a block… frame by frame view looks like he does get a piece late

Dunk

That one is definitely a block

Assist

Another assist

Board

Oop

Board

Potential assist

Ugly post move… foul assist

Forcing 3 w/ pretty good D

Potential assist

Block

Dunk on the other end

Dunk

Offensive board and the putback

The patience you have to watch high school hoop is impressive.

Reaction Score
HUGE pickup for the Huskies!!!! Excellent upside. Quick take: I’m guessing he’ll red shirt the first year.

Reaction Score
There is 0% he’ll redshirt. Kids a stud. This is not to say that he’ll be as impactful
As Dickinson was at Michigan, but he seems like a very similar player. Very intelligent, great passing big who can let the game come
To him

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This is one game I didn't get around to watching earlier this summer. From Memorial Day Weekend

11 PTS
6 REB (2 offensive)

1 TO
0 STL
4 BLK

5/7 2FG
3FG
1/2 FT

• His team plays A LOT of zone to protect Donovan from fouls from the smaller guys. That will be an adjustment. We’ll definitely need to scheme to protect him from quicker players blowing by him on defense. No blitzing the screen… possibly zones.
  • I don’t think he’s much of a shooter at all yet, but the form doesn’t look bad. I think it’s possible with a year or two work.
  • Passing is clearly his best attribute. Probably a better passing big than we’ve had in years on day 1… maybe ever by the time he’s done. Have we ever had a big who could pass it well? He sometimes is looking for the pass TOO much instead of just slamming the ball as soon as he touches it.
  • Post-up skills are not advanced… very limited. Doesn’t have a good feel for how to use his body and create angles. Doesn’t even know how to get his shot off a lot of the time. Seems to me like dunks and working on a jump shot are probably his best bet on offense. Work on developing basic post up package to start. I just want to see a jump hook with the right hand and an up and under counter. I hope Sanogo is around in 2022 to kick his ass in practice down low.
  • FT form doesn’t look bad. Seems to be shooting around 60% in games I’ve seen. I think that should increase with reps and high quality coaching at the college level.
Rebound

GREAT pass for poster

Potential assist

Potential assist

Board

Missed long 2

TO

Missed post up

Board and an assist

Board

Dunk

Assist

Another assist

Board

Oop

Board

Potential assist

Potential assist

Block

Dunk on the other end

Dunk

Soooo he's a bigger Tyler Olander? I'm hoping the staff can coach him up to be a productive player for us.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don't want to be that guy, just watched his highlights for the first time playing against New Britain (I think?) and he has so much work to do. I'm honestly not sure why he's ranked as highly as he is besides the fact that he's 7'1. He may be even rawer than Javonte Brown. The fact he's playing in LL and doesn't look dominant on tape when his competition is probably 6'4 maybe 6'6 if the team is lucky at the most is concerning.

Reaction Score
I don't want to be that guy, just watched his highlights for the first time playing against New Britain (I think?) and he has so much work to do. I'm honestly not sure why he's ranked as highly as he is besides the fact that he's 7'1. He may be even rawer than Javonte Brown. The fact he's playing in LL and doesn't look dominant on tape when his competition is probably 6'4 maybe 6'6 if the team is lucky at the most is concerning.

Perfect.

Reaction Score
I called this like 5 days ago, check the receipts :)
I was pretty certain he was coming here when I saw that he had an unofficial visit at UConn prior to his trips to OSU, Michigan, and Syracuse. Why not just take the free trip across the country to some cool programs?

Reaction Score
So not dominant, he was top 3 for hs Gatorade poty. Averaged 27/17/6 blocks & 5 assists as a Jr & led his undefeated hs team to a state championship.

He isn’t a player without flaws, but sometimes as a collective whole, the BY really needs to learn how to accept & enjoy nice things

Reaction Score
People like you absolutely live to be that guy.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
So not dominant, he was top 3 for hs Gatorade poty. Averaged 27/17/6 blocks & 5 assists as a Jr & led his undefeated hs team to a state championship.

He isn’t a player without flaws, but sometimes as a collective whole, the BY really needs to learn how to accept & enjoy nice things
I'm just being honest here. I hope Danny can coach him up and put him through serious strength & conditioning, but he's 7'1 playing in LL. Yeah he's going to be POY. There's no other center above 6'8 at the most. Jordan Williams who went to University of Maryland back in 2010 or so has a much better post game and better film playing in the same league bringing Torrington to the state finals. I repeat TORRINGTON. If you are a D1 prospect that's a certain height playing in LL there's almost no excuse to not go to state's tbh.

But I don't know. Andre was also terrible when he was at Capital Prep his early years when he was highly ranked. But he went through a MAJOR body transformation before actually arriving to campus. I would love to see Donovan go prep to actually play against the proper competition and receive proper training because making the jump to D1 is going to be a huge shock otherwise.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
People like you absolutely live to be that guy.
Sorry to have my first negative opinion on a Hurley recruit. I'll make sure to puff nothing but sunshine and rainbows on everybody to help you feel better.

Reaction Score
Time to celebrate. Feel like having a Dairy Bar hot fudge sundae even at this ridiculous hour. Welcome DC.

Reaction Score

11 PTS
6 REB (2 offensive)

1 TO
0 STL
4 BLK

5/7 2FG
3FG
1/2 FT

Rebound

GREAT pass for poster

Potential assist

Potential assist

Board

Missed long 2

TO

Missed post up

Board and an assist

Board

Dunk

Assist

Another assist

Board

Oop

Board

Potential assist

Potential assist

Block

Dunk on the other end

Dunk

Respectfully, AAU doesn’t exactly highlight Bigs play and it takes a Big awhile to catch up to his body growth. That’s why Chief gets up off the couch, evaluates in person and talks to people. Granted CovID put a damper on that for awhile but that’s no longer an excuse.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
He's going to have a HUGE fanbase in this state because he chose to stay home. If he ends up as good as we hope, he'll be the pride of this entire state for decades. I'll follow this kid for years. Kids in the CCC will talk about playing against him to their children. I will tell my kids about coaching against him when he was 14.

This committment isn't just a basketball move. This is an investment in UConn as the premiere program in the northeast. We're back.
You mean like I tell my Grandkids I once got in a pick up game against Calvin Murphy?

Reaction Score
Not really feeling this pickup too much after hearing reports that he is slow and unathletic white guy who can't shoot but I trust in Dan Hurley. Congrats DC on joining the family and I hope he hits the weight room big time. Is there a chance he red shirts his freshman year to develop more with strength and quickness?

Dude! Really, have you been following our recruiting at all? "hearing reports" there have been many videos posted on him. He will be a Sr. in high school this year and I'm quite sure our staff have some goals prior to him getting here. He's young and tall. He will not red shirt here.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Not really feeling this pickup too much after hearing reports that he is slow and unathletic white guy who can't shoot but I trust in Dan Hurley. Congrats DC on joining the family and I hope he hits the weight room big time. Is there a chance he red shirts his freshman year to develop more with strength and quickness?
What does being white have anything to do with it?

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
His passing out of the post & rebounding will be a major day 1 asset. Those skills alone all but guarantee he won’t redshirt (plus when does a top 50 kid agree to commit if being redshirted?).

Skill development will come with practice & athleticism will improve as well with proper S&C. If he develops a couple reliable post moves & a jumper? Scary. Very excited to have him!

Reaction Score
Ok don't lose it with me saying this.. but he reminds me a bit of the joker. Big body inside. Excellent passer and rebounder. Slightly slow but he can still get to where he needs to be. He needs to condition and develop strength, but I'm excited about his upside! Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom